Quote by coajinx
I just finished listening to the entire track from start to finish.

I have no idea about what your recording setup is, since you haven't provided any in depth information about the process.

To be honest, I did not think the track sounded good at all. It's not even finished. You're missing, as you are aware, a huge part of the sound of the track which is the bass and any low end impact.

It's like trying to criticise a car you have made, You made the body panels, the chassis and said "what do you think? How's my car?", Well I can't make any real criticism or help you because there's no wheels on the car.

The whole track sounds rushed and there are many mistakes and flaws throughout with the playing and timing; it sounds off and it's a poor execution on your part.
No real care was put into the execution, that's evident. The track ends up tripping over itself at transitions e.g.
1.19 and 2.50.

I don't know how you recorded the guitar but It just sounds thin and fuzzy and has no really oomph, certainly not the oomph that the track lends itself to want to achieve.

How did you record the guitar? How did you mix the track? What software was involved?

I actually don't mind the solo as far as the playing is concerned, but I think it sits too loud in the mix and overall the mix needs work, a lot of work.

If you provide more information regarding your entire process, I could make some more specific suggestions on how to improve on the whole with the recording and mixing.

Overall, It's not great, there are some decent solid ideas but there is room for improvement with regards to execution and timing in the recording. The mix needs a lot of work, there is no stereo image at all with the guitar.

Hope this helps.

Funny how you said its unfinished and there was no bass in it when I clearly stated that it was unfinished and had no bass in it. I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't understand how this didn't sound good at all. This is a demo version, as it says in the title. Demo means unfinished.. My interest/passion is not recording it is making music.
I liked it. Some tasty use of the almighty pinch harmonic in what I'm assuming is the chorus. Bit of a glam hard rock sound to it that will get the chicks as wet as a puddle, haha.
Solo was meh, but that's a quick rough draft one as well I bet. Don't overdue it, just give it touch of burn and KISS (keep it simple stupid)!
It's really not hard to imagine it with bass in it, so I don't see the fuss, especially when there's a disclaimer saying there's none.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1597557
Last edited by bdof at Apr 15, 2013,
Ignore that dude hes just being a cynical asshole probably only listens to teen boy bands. I like the main riff and overall attitude of the song. I just didn't like the first solo or lead of the song. It sounded to cluttered and needed a little anticipation IMO. It sounds like a drum track, which isn't bad, but you would do much better with a real drummer.
you're never as free as when you are lost
Quote by kamel2f2f
Funny how you said its unfinished and there was no bass in it when I clearly stated that it was unfinished and had no bass in it. I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't understand how this didn't sound good at all. This is a demo version, as it says in the title. Demo means unfinished.. My interest/passion is not recording it is making music.

I acknowledge that you had stated that you were yet to add the bass and vocals, I get it. What I am saying is that there is simply no real room from constructive feedback for your track if it's not finished.

I can't give feedback on the mixing of the track or any suggestions on EQ to help balance the mix because there is no mix. The mix is non-existent. There's only two elements in your track: Guitar and Drums, and that's it!

The moment you add bass and vocals, You will immediately have to be concious of how they all interact together, they will clash instantly and you have to work on a mix, levels, EQ, panning, Stereo-imaging the whole works.

If you thought you were just going to throw up some bass track and vocals on top of that and render it down for all to enjoy without any due diligence, I'm sorry to say, but that's not going to happen.

If you don't understand how your track didn't sound good, then you've completely ignored my post highlighting some critical points on why it doesn't sound good.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrendous track by any means, but it's certainly no where near good.

Also, you say that making music is your passion and not recording - Cool, good for you on that. But when you post a track in the 'Original Recordings' on an open public forum, you put yourself out there for criticism. I have done my best to provide as much constructive feedback to you as I can given what you have provided me, which is not much at all.

You have, by your own admittance, stated that this track is unfinished(no shit), So why have you provided in your YouTube a "FREE DOWNLOAD LINK"?.

Why not post it when it is finished to the best that you can do. I don't think this is your best at all.

Furthermore, I wouldn't even call it a 'Demo'. Bands pay for studio time to get tracks recorded, mixed and mastered and those are 'Demo's'. This is not. Not even close.

Regards.
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
Ignore that dude hes just being a cynical asshole probably only listens to teen boy bands. I like the main riff and overall attitude of the song. I just didn't like the first solo or lead of the song. It sounded to cluttered and needed a little anticipation IMO. It sounds like a drum track, which isn't bad, but you would do much better with a real drummer.

Thanks man haha
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
Ignore that dude hes just being a cynical asshole probably only listens to teen boy bands.

I provided him with honest and constructive feedback on how to improve his track from the ground up and I'm being cynical?

My main goal is to help him produce a more refined, polished version of his track to the best of his capabilities.

I've provided very specific pieces of advice that he would need to do, If you don't see that then that's your problem.

If you think blowing smoke up his bottom and telling him his track is good when it's not helps him, then you're wrong.

I've done my best to be constructive, probably more than what is deserved, but there it is.

You can lead a horse to water.

p.s Teen boy bands, A-Ok.
Last edited by coajinx at Apr 15, 2013,
Quote by coajinx
I acknowledge that you had stated that you were yet to add the bass and vocals, I get it. What I am saying is that there is simply no real room from constructive feedback for your track if it's not finished.

I can't give feedback on the mixing of the track or any suggestions on EQ to help balance the mix because there is no mix. The mix is non-existent. There's only two elements in your track: Guitar and Drums, and that's it!

The moment you add bass and vocals, You will immediately have to be concious of how they all interact together, they will clash instantly and you have to work on a mix, levels, EQ, panning, Stereo-imaging the whole works.

If you thought you were just going to throw up some bass track and vocals on top of that and render it down for all to enjoy without any due diligence, I'm sorry to say, but that's not going to happen.

If you don't understand how your track didn't sound good, then you've completely ignored my post highlighting some critical points on why it doesn't sound good.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a horrendous track by any means, but it's certainly no where near good.

Also, you say that making music is your passion and not recording - Cool, good for you on that. But when you post a track in the 'Original Recordings' on an open public forum, you put yourself out there for criticism. I have done my best to provide as much constructive feedback to you as I can given what you have provided me, which is not much at all.

You have, by your own admittance, stated that this track is unfinished(no shit), So why have you provided in your YouTube a "FREE DOWNLOAD LINK"?.

Why not post it when it is finished to the best that you can do. I don't think this is your best at all.

Furthermore, I wouldn't even call it a 'Demo'. Bands pay for studio time to get tracks recorded, mixed and mastered and those are 'Demo's'. This is not. Not even close.

Regards.

You sound like you know what you are talking about, show me some of your work? I checked your profile and didn't find anything. And because I wanted to put a free download link? Why not? Its my choice if I wanted to, and I don't know why you're taking time writing a bunch of paragraphs to me when you can simply say its good but needs work, or do you just want to prove something?
Quote by kamel2f2f
You sound like you know what you are talking about, show me some of your work? I checked your profile and didn't find anything. And because I wanted to put a free download link? Why not? Its my choice if I wanted to, and I don't know why you're taking time writing a bunch of paragraphs to me when you can simply say its good but needs work, or do you just want to prove something?

If I post a track and it's amazing/bad, does that automatically validate/invalidate the quality of my feedback?

I have no qualms or interest in internet e-bragging rights, it counts for nothing.

I have nothing to gain giving you feedback at all. I did it because I've been in your exact spot many years ago and I know how to improve from there.

I asked why you put a free download link, because it sends the wrong message.

You're saying the tracks unfinished and you've yet to add key parts to it, but at the same time you're advertising a free download link to it? It's a conflicting message, that's all I'm trying to understand.

If it's finished and your happy with your work, make it a free download, to your hearts content and share it with everyone.

But if it's unfinished, don't. It's not finished so what's the point?

Quote by kamel2f2f
and I don't know why you're taking time writing a bunch of paragraphs to me when you can simply say its good but needs work, or do you just want to prove something?"

I take the time because recording/mixing/mastering is a passion, I've been doing it for 10+ years and have experience recording local artists and mixing countless tracks. So I have something to bring to the table in terms of advice when it comes to recording/mixing.

If I came into your thread and said "the track's good", I would be lying to you and you wouldn't have room to improve on.

I was honest and explained why the track was not as good as it can be, I even went as far as to pin point exact time stamps as to where improvement can be made.

Ultimately, this is your track, and you will have your own opinions, and you may think that everything I say is bullshit. That's your prerogative. But I'm not going to blow smoke up your arse.

p.s To be honest, I use to post tracks here back in '04 on a different account,which is nearly 10 years ago and thought that the people that criticized my tracks were out to get me.

Regards.
Last edited by coajinx at Apr 15, 2013,
Quote by kamel2f2f

To be honest Kamel, he is trying to help and you're being a turd. You ask 'I dontknow why you're taking time writing a bunch of paragraphs to me.' Well, you have posted the song for critique, and that is what he is doing. What is the point in writing a few words? Where does that get you? You became super defensive when he critiqued it as he saw fit, but had no problem with people being like 'nah bro, its good.' If you can't take any criticism, don't post your songs online. He is trying to help you, and his critique is right, it sounded very rushed and messy. It was not an enjoyable recording experience. In order to make it enjoyable, people are willing to help, but not if you act like a jerk.
Quote by coajinx
I provided him with honest and constructive feedback on how to improve his track from the ground up and I'm being cynical?

My main goal is to help him produce a more refined, polished version of his track to the best of his capabilities.

I've provided very specific pieces of advice that he would need to do, If you don't see that then that's your problem.

If you think blowing smoke up his bottom and telling him his track is good when it's not helps him, then you're wrong.

I've done my best to be constructive, probably more than what is deserved, but there it is.

You can lead a horse to water.

p.s Teen boy bands, A-Ok.

Well the point of a demo is to be a rough copy. He hasn't even finished his track which he stated and is just wanting feedback on his concept overall, which I personally like. Providing "specific pieces of advice" to help polish a rough idea isn't going to help either. You're not some musical genius. Providing positive support over parts I like and parts I didn't is much more effective in the long haul.

Also stating you gave him more "constructive criticism" than it is worth just proves my point of you being a cynical asshole.
you're never as free as when you are lost
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
Providing "specific pieces of advice" to help polish a rough idea isn't going to help

this is so raw man. post the finished one
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Quote by GuitarQ33r0
Ignore that dude hes just being a cynical asshole probably only listens to teen boy bands

Being constructive =/= hating or being cynical.

There's nothing wrong with saying you don't like something or make a negative comment as long as you can justify why you feel that way.

There's plenty wrong with only giving positive praise when negative comment is needed. It doesn't help anyone improve if they aren't told their weaknesses.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!