I've been playing guitar for about 7 years, but I'm new to tube amps. I've been looking at the Egnater Tweaker-40 lately and I really like it. I mainly play blues and rock'n'roll, and I don't gig very often, though I would like to start recording soon. My question is whether the Egnater Tweaker would be a good purchase for me, or if there are better tube amps in a similar price range ($700-$1000). Any help?
I've got the Tweaker 40 head.
Great little unit, never let me down.

The settings do make it really versatile although if you've played through a real AC30 the AC EQ setting is close, not 100% accurate in it's reproduction.
I have it fairly traditionally set up - one channel clean, with a little break up at volume and the other as a crunch channel. If I need anything extra there's a pedal nearby to accomplish it.
Although it's just as easy to have a classic rock gain channel and then the other set for lead; a little louder and tighter.

The effect loop is switchable, too, which is handy if you use a few units at a time and don't want to tap dance.

A couple of weeks ago I was recording demos for a friend and used it (through a borrowed Orange 2x12) and it was excellent. Between that, my SG and a Tele I had every tone I needed to hand and barely even used effects (a little delay, if I recall). No overdrive or distortion boxes.

Go try one and test it with a couple of different guitars and, if trying the head - try a few different cabs with it.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i have the 40 and its fantastic. it has a ton of tonal options, good headroom if you need it but it really excels at breakup which is great for blues / rock tones.

it can pushed a lil bit of higher gain but you need an OD and boost, can do hard rock and perhaps some bedroom metal, but for live playing it really isnt a metal amp.

the thing that sold me is that is it very usable at low volumes!!!!

i recommend a tube change, the stock sovteks are fizzy. blah. after my tube change i am happy on a daily basis with my tones. for the 600 i paid im not sure i could find anything that meets my specs better without going higher in price.

i deally i would like lower wattage, but like i said, it runs very well at low volumes. i treid many 15-20 watt amps that did not. its not wattage entirely that determines this ability.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Played the Tweaker 40 combo once.
Huge amount of tones you get out of it, I'd say it's got a great voicing for blues and classic rock (and even more).

Compared to my Rebel 30 I found it more 'dry' sounding, which isn't a bad thing at all though. Liked that a lot for more vintage-type tones.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I really like my Tweaker-40. Loud as shit, lots of different options, and plenty of gain on tap though if you play more extreme metal you might need a booster.

I'd say what sold me is that it's generally got a well defined bass response, even with the Tight switch off.
I've only played the 15, but man was I impressed. The effects of the voicing switches could be more pronounced, but they're not completely useless. The overall tone of the amp is fantastic though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by pinheadslts75
I really like my Tweaker-40. Loud as shit, lots of different options, and plenty of gain on tap though if you play more extreme metal you might need a booster.

I'd say what sold me is that it's generally got a well defined bass response, even with the Tight switch off.

Yeah, another 2 things I've got to mention.

Loud as shit might be correct but the volume knob takes you up in volume a bit smoother than the Rebel's.

Also the bass response is tighter, that's also a part of the 'drier' tone of it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz