Any ideas guys? Up until now I've not included any bass guitar in my recordings simply because I don't own one.

Is there a way round it? Are there any clever vst plugins available to make my 6 string electric sound like a bass?

Or any other tips would be welcome.

I currently use reaper with pod studio/pod farm 2 to record.
pitch shifting a guitar does not typically sound very good. there are some decent VSTis that will do a bass, such as Trilian or 4Front. never used any of them myself, but i hear they work ok. for any paid software, you can probably pick up a used bass for less. and even just laying down something simple on a real bass will typically sound better.

the other option that i use when i dont feel like using my bass (for quick demos), is to just use a synth. with reaper i just lay out the bass part in midi and use reasynth. its not the greatest, but it sounds ok if all you are trying to do is add in some low end for the bass part. adjust the parameters so you can hear attack and decay, then i add in some square wave and a bit of triangle. it sounds kinda distorted, and too much will sound like fuzz. its not going to sound like a bass, but it will get you the low end you are missing.

though for anything other than a quick demo, buying a cheap bass will probably be your best bet.
While simply pitchshifting a guitar down an octave will sound pretty balls, with a little extra work in it can sound pretty authentic.
Start with a dry input of the bassline played on your guitar, add a bass cab sim (assuming you have some on pod farm) and either the inbuilt cabinet extensions, or get something like LePou along with some decent cabinet impulses (check the sticky for a huge variety of options), tweak the settings to your taste and EQ accordingly.
Even double tracking with slightly different settings then blending the 2 signals together to beef up the sound will sound far better for minimal extra effort.
The main issue with a pitch shifted guitar is it doesn't have the low end. You could maybe blend like a sine wave synth for low end and combine it with a pitch shifted guitar. Might end up with some that'd sound okay as long as you don't have any bass focused sections.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You could try a harmonic synthesiser along with the pitch shifted guitar although I don't know how far that will get you.
I have this Guitarig thingy.

I has an octaver, it doesn't sounds perfect, but it's plausible!
I have a decent bass distortion plugin that adds low end. Combine that with the neck pickup and some EQing, and it sounds passable.
E: Image Line Hardcore, for the record. It sounds dildos for guitar, but it's decent for bass (or "bass"). Probably not worth buying separate, though; I got it with FL Signature.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Apr 16, 2013,
I use the bass programs on my keyboard. Of course, it would've been cheaper just to buy a bass, but that wouldn't have been any fun.
I play bass. For a small (large) fee I will play bass on your song. But, you need to know that its gonna sound like Dr Feelgood by Motley Crue because that's what I have decided would sound best.

Send me a private message and we can exchange info. I'm available to record next month. I only fly first class though. Keep that in mind.
Midi bass tends to sound shit on anything where it isn't just doubling the guitar, imo.
Quote by xFilth
Midi bass tends to sound shit on anything where it isn't just doubling the guitar, imo.

I've not got some bad Midi bass stuff after using plugins on it etc.
It is an easier alternative for OP than pitch shifting his guitar tbf
Quote by Highelf04
I've not got some bad Midi bass stuff after using plugins on it etc.
It is an easier alternative for OP than pitch shifting his guitar tbf

Any samples?

This is an example of a pitch shifted guitar, which I think sounds very decent for the type of music: https://soundcloud.com/onpalehorse/axe-synth-test
There's the 4front bass module for MIDI bass. I've had some success with pitch shifting guitar down too (and I'm a bassist so I could have easily grabbed a bass and tracked it). I usually find to get a tone I like (well, for a pitch shifted guitar) I pitch shift down an octave with ReaPitch, then I bring the formant up an octave (don't ask what the formant is, I have no clue). If it feels a little lacking in the low end I might blend a -2 octave pitch shift.

Also, you will NEED to use a bass amp sim and impulse with this. It's never going to get a good enough sound to use on it's own, but it should do alright with a sim be cause it will cover a bit of the less-than-perfect tone up.
Download MIDI Guitar:

http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/

That will turn your incoming guitar into MIDI notes, and you can shift them an octave down. Since you're playing basslines, you can probably turn on mono mode to reduce CPU use.

Then get the FREE Zombass 2 Mesa 400+ pack from here:

http://signalsaudio.com/site/zombass-2/

And the free Kontakt Player:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/kontakt-5-player/

All you need to do is use the output from MIDI Guitar to trigger Kontakt with the Zombass sample pack, and you'll get some extremely convincing bass tones.

I can't remember for sure, but if Kontakt goes into 'demo mode', all you have to do is bounce it down to audio before the time limit and you're sorted.

If the Kontakt/Zombass thing is too complex (or you don't fancy the huge 7Gb download!), try some of the SDoundfonts here with a free SFZ player: http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl?action=view_category&category=Bass&ListStart=0&ListLength=15
The thing with MIDI bass is you have to spend ages getting it to sound natural and when it comes to fast notes they sound like total ass.
Quote by maggot9779
The thing with MIDI bass is you have to spend ages getting it to sound natural and when it comes to fast notes they sound like total ass.

That's why I recommended recording the MIDI using a guitar and playing it back through very high quality samples.
if you can afford it, i'd highly recommend buying an actual bass. i used to write my bass parts in guitar pro, and play them with a guitar pitchshifted -1 octave.

it's not even close to a real bass. when you play the bass, you think like a bassist, not a guitarist playing bass. meaning you focus more on the rhythm, and locking in with the drums, etc, instead of playing real melodically, like a guitar player.

you'll definitely improve if you get a bass, and it's a pretty fun instrument to play.