Hi everyone let me introduce myself and give a little background. My name is Daniel I've been playing guitar for a month or so now. I have a line 6 spider amp my brother gave me. As for my guitar I am borrowing a spare from a friend. Only problem is that guitar happens to be an 8 string agile. It's a nice guitar but clearly beyond my range at the moment. I'd like to get my own 6 string. I mostly listen to metal/ prog rock. I would want to play styles similar to Opeth, btbam, Ghost, closure in Moscow, Dillinger, the fall of Troy etc....

I've played a few guitars at local stores, ESP guitars and ibanez sound and feel good but i live in a small town in Northern California so my choices are limited. I received a 200$ sweet water gift certificate via my brother so I've been thinking about ordering through there.

My budget is anywhere from 400-600 (800$ on sweetwater).
Anyways thanks for the help everyone. I'm brand new to the website and forum posting in general so I will very much appreciate any feedback.
Sweetwater is a really good company to deal with.

I did a quick search: lots of good options for your genre from Ibanez, Schecter, ES/LTD, Epiphone, Jacskson and Charvel, but my personal fave would be the Godin Freeway SA.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Solidbody_Guitars/low2high/all/params=eyJkaW1lbnNpb24iOnsiUHJpY2UgUmFuZ2UiOlsiMTAiLCIxMDAwMDA5Il19fQ

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FreewaySABK/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 16, 2013,
I would reccomend getting an LTD of whatever shape feels best for you. The EC, MH and EX are my personal favourites. Also listen to Dream Theater :p.
400-1000 series is your best bet for that price bracket.
Sweetwater is a great company to deal with, any questions they can also help you with. Ive gone through close to all my purchases from there and there extremely helpful and will go out of their way for you. You could ask them and they would 99.9% be able to help you find what you are looking for......hopefully we see a NGD soon!
Thank you everyone for the replies. I will defiantly look more into ESP and ibanez etc... Glad I was on the right track I will maybe take a 3 hour trip to guitar center and test out a bunch then I can order through sweetwater. Thanks again.
Ibanez has some really nice lower end models in your price range also try to shop used.
Last edited by KillerLolrus at Apr 17, 2013,
Don't count out GC, either. If you find something good there, at least consider getting it there- especially if a salesperson actually helped you out.

You can always use your Sweetwater gift card to buy things like cables and other accessories, or maybe effects.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
With that range of budget, I suggest that you don't buy cheap guitars bec. imo in the latter you will have grown out off it and be diagnosed with gear acquisition syndrome.

Better get a guitar that's not too cheap nor too expensive, I suggest you read some online reviews of the guitars in your list to help you choose.

Agile AL-series are in your price range and it has pretty good reviews, I suggest you take a look on them at www.rondomusic.com though I don't know if it would suit your genre.
DigiBox56 out.
Last edited by digibox56 at Apr 17, 2013,