So I have a Schecter Damien Elite and love it. I want a different model if a Schecter , unfortunately there a $200 price difference up or down from this model. What do you guys think about owning two of the same model? I really just want another guitar for a different tuning.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
There are no rules against it. If they're what you like, why change it? Yngwie has a room full of strats, for example. All of my guitars follow the same basic formula, albeit not the same make and nuances, because that's what I've found to be what I like (super strat, 24 fret, floyd rose, H-H pickups, etc.)
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Go ahead, if that's what you like. I wouldn't buy two guitars that are exactly a like though, just because I like to have lots of different tonal options.
I own something like 16 guitars from 8 different makers.

OTOH, one of my old HS buddies has a similar collection of guitars, and owns nothing but Fender Strats.

Either way is cool.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you love the one you have, then go for it!

Personally I'd recommend trying as many other guitars as possible to make sure you don't find something you prefer, but the worst case is that you reaffirm your decision to buy the same model again.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you buy multiple copies of the same guitar you can put different configurations of pickups in them.

Be it HSS, HH, HHH, SSS etc.

Even if they are the same configuration with pickups of varying output they are different guitars because they will suit different genres.

If you love one particular guitar only the shape needs to stay the same.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Schecters don't hold their value very well, have you considered looking for a used guitar?
Quote by J_W
Schecters don't hold their value very well, have you considered looking for a used guitar?

What do you mean they don't hold their value?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by J_W

Schecter makes fantastic guitar, you're delusional man! haha. Every experience I've had with Schecter has been quite positive, even own the Loomis signature (Which is the nicest 7 string I've ever owned)

What makes you say they don't hold well?
Last edited by KillerLolrus at Apr 16, 2013,
Quote by J_W

The price on a used Schecter will be a smaller percentage of the New Price than is normal for Gibsons/Fenders. You could buy a Damien for less than $100 on Craigslist around here... or you could buy a higher end model Schecter for $200.
Schecter guitars don't hold their value very well. You can get the $700ish (new)models for $300 or less used.

That is what he ment buy that. I would at least get a different series of the guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Schecter makes fantastic guitar, you're delusional man! haha.

He's not talking quality, he's talking price. Only a very few brands or models hold value in the used market- Fender and Gibson lead the pack in this. A used axe will typically lose 50%+ of its value on resale, regardless of condition.

This is bad if you're looking at guitars as an investment or want to get significant value when selling off a guitar, but if you're a BUYER shopping used, its great. You might be able to find a great axe from a less prestigious brand for a fraction of the price of a Fender or Gibson of similar quality.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The other guitarist in my last band had two SGs, two Strats and three single cut Danelectros among other guitars.

Handy to have a back up if you're gigging.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I have my fair share of doubles... for tuning purposes, different pickups, or backup... there is nothing wrong with that. I would definitely play alot of other guitars before you decide on buying the same guitar though, just in case there is something out there that you like more.
If you like the guitar, sure get another. Who cares about resale value if you plan on using them? But it's something to consider, I guess if you ever do plan.
i like having sets of pairs. two Gibson LP's, two Gibson SG's, two Gibson Sonexs' (cheap), two wolfgangs, three prestige ibanez'.

i may be weird though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you soley want it for different tuning I don't see a problem. That being said, I always think it's nice to have something a little different.
Quote by J_W

who cares if they dont hold their value very well? a guitar is not an investment, a guitar a a tool, a peice of art, a form of self expression, and many other things. but a guitar is not an investment.

i've had 8 fender 90's mim strats through the years and sold for less than i bought every time. do i care? no i dont because i got my enjoyment out of all of them including the one i still own. if you want a good investment buy stock. if you want something you'll enjoy get a sweet guitar.

that said dude if you love the guitar go for it. there is absolutely no danger in whether or not you'll enjoy it
Last edited by rander7917 at Apr 17, 2013,
who cares if they dont hold their value very well?

It matters even if you're not looking at guitars as an investment.

A smart consumer may be able to buy a used guitar in nearly pristine contdition for half the price- give or take- of a new one.

If, for argument's sake, Schecters don't hold monetary value well, it may be much better to buy a used one than a new one compared to gutiars that DO hold their value. This is especially true if the reason is more about brand and less about quality.

okay i apologize i misread it. thats one of the things that bugs me is the whole guitar as an investment idea. i know someone who paid 6500 bucks for a guitar and it is gorgeous but he has never played it because he wants to preserve the value of it. all it does is sit in a case in the back of his closet. and personally i think that is a disgrace, whats the purpose of a guitar if it isnt played
Agreed, it defeats the purpose of owning a guitar. To be honest, even when I buy a used guitar I like to see some battle scars on it, that way you know someone loved it enough to play the hell out of it. It has a certain seal of approval.
What do you guys thing about buying guitars on ebay? Ive been under the impression that the shipping alone would make it worth buying it new.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
What do you guys thing about buying guitars on ebay? Ive been under the impression that the shipping alone would make it worth buying it new.

Buying sight unseen is... well, can be a bad idea. eBay freaks me out because of fake guitar dealing and horror stories of no-return policies with sketchy dealers.
That said, there are occasionally decent deals if you're willing to roll the dice.

The shipping can also be factored into the price somewhat with "free shipping", so it kind of balances out.
OffsetOffset
I pretty much avoid buying used gear from anywhere that doesn't have a return policy or from someone who isn't a personal acquaintance.

If you're going used the best option (my opinion) is guitar center. I've never seen a fake there and their willing to send you pictures of the guitar