Hello,

Today, I bought my first tube amp - peavey 6505+ 112 combo. It's 3 years old (I'm a second owner) and it's very impressive. But I'm worried. The sound it makes is a bit harsh (like the presence would be all the way up), but no matter what I do, I can't make it go away, except if I lower the volume on my guitar (but then I lose sustain). Also, the high gain sound is dull and not so powerful as I hear from the videos I've watched about this amp.

Maybe there is a problem with the tubes? The owner said he haven't changed them.

I play Ibanez RG350ex with stock pickups.

Please help me. I'm on a really tight budget and I want to know if it's me or the amp.
Maybe a few weeks to find your tone, also maybe your pups suck too..edit, those pups are ok, not too great though. Maybe the tubes are getting old, hard to tell. Ask how many hrs the guy played it if you can...also it has to be cranked to at least 2 or 3 to get the proper tone, so if your in your bedroom on 1, that may be why
Last edited by Tempoe at Apr 16, 2013,
What tubes are in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I noticed that there is some buzzing on the guitar itself. Could it be, that my old SS amp couldn't pick up that buzz, but this amp can? Or maybe I just shouldn't have my tone and volume at max all the time? I noticed, that when I turn one of them down, the harshness disappears.

Or maybe it's the springs from floyd rose?

I tried it on higher volumes - still the same.

I want to get a real, lead, metal sound, like Iron Maiden. I played some of their melodies, like fear of the dark or afraid to shoot strangers - too harsh. How can I soften the tone?

Edit: Cathbard, there are five 12AX7 tubes in the preamp and 2 6L6GC power amp tubes.
Last edited by varsketis at Apr 16, 2013,
Pull all the tubes, carefully that is... if you don't know how to remove tubes, read up online, then reseat them, firmly.

This cab is so heavy that tubes often come loose during shipping from people tossing it around.
I know what general type they take, I meant make and model.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it sounds like your gain is way too high. Turn it down and boost your waster a bit. It really shouldnt be much more past 1 or 2 o clock
If you're after the Maiden sort of tone then make sure your mids are up high enough. They use Marshalls (strong mids anyway) with the mids cranked, boosts (more mids) and very thick, overwound humbuckers (more mids). Lots of people, when chasing a classic, standard 'metal' tone like that, stick the gain, bass and treble up high and bring the mids way back. That's not how you do it. Mids up, treble and bass as high as you can get away with in the room you're playing with, volume up as high as you can get away with and the gain usually shouldn't be much further than 65-70%, if even that.

If your tone is 'harsh' and not sounding 'powerful' enough, I can pretty much guarantee that you need to push the mids up and/or use a mid boost/thicker pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There is a problem when I play certain notes. When I play a D note on the G string (7th) fret, or the same note on D string, as it sustains, I start to hear a microphonic type of feedback. My ears start to hurt after a few minutes of playing on volume set on 3.

So I'm asking - is it the tubes, or guitar?
Well you are going to get a certain amount of feedback if you let a note sustain for a long enough time, but if it seems unusual to you, then my money would be on pre-amp tubes.

Also, I am not surprised your ears hurt with the volume on 3, that is pretty loud!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
1. Have a good tech look over your guitar.

2. Play with the EQ on the amp. Don't let any preconceptions get in the way, just go for broke with all the controls.

3. Replace the tubes. My guess would be that as a Chinese built amp, it'll come with Chinese tubes (complete garbage) which the previous owner may never have changed. JJ's will get you where you want to be with this amp, both in the pre and power sections.

As Cath said, we know the type/format of tubes the amp takes, we're interested in the MAKE.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Well you are going to get a certain amount of feedback if you let a note sustain for a long enough time, but if it seems unusual to you, then my money would be on pre-amp tubes.

Also, I am not surprised your ears hurt with the volume on 3, that is pretty loud!

There's the problem. I hear that harmonic type of sound when I even play the note. It doesn't have to sustain that much - 1 to 3 seconds and the feedback occurs. Gain is on 4.

Ok, I'll have a look at EQ's, try to get that buzzing ouf of my guitar (It's not a fret buzz, it comes from the guitar itself). When the budget allows to buy a set of new tubes - I'll buy them.

By the way - do I have to change the power amp tubes? There aren't any tubes of that type in lithuanian shops. I'd need to ship them from Germany.
Last edited by varsketis at Apr 17, 2013,
Peaveys usually come with Ruby valves as stock these days, if it has those then it has probably not been revalved before.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V