So I bought a Bogner uberschall Rev Blue Used a few years ago (since I got it for a steal) and its been the only amp I used since. I dont play in a death metal or deathcore band, more of a progressive metal/space rock band that has a mixture jazz/acoustic/heavy stuff etc.

Anyways, everyone is pissing on not getting this amp because of the cleans and says the cleans are pretty sterile. Funny thing, I can't find anyone that seems like it can be changed.

I stuck a MXR 10 band in front of the clean channel and that by itself, flatlined, brings life too it. I adjusted the EQ bands a little and stuck a slight reverb/delay in front of It it sounds really damn good, almost to the point where I can't believe it is coming from an amp that sounded so weak in the clean sector before.

I also left it on for the Dirty Channel and it felt like It lifted a muffly veil off the distortion channel. I keep the gain ridiculously low anyways.

So, why the heck don't more people use these things? am I missing something?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Maybe people feel that for an amp that is such an investment it shouldn't need an eq in front of it?

Any chance you could post up some sound clips comparing with and without the eq?
That's really common. EVH famously used an old MXR 6 band in front of his Plexi with a mid boost to tighten it up. I'd never bother with my Bogner.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have the same amp you have. a little reverb, delay or chorus does wonders for the clean channel. and I bought an mxr 10 band and discovered after messing with it for a bit that It's just unnecessary. Any tone i really liked, I found i could achieve without the eq. The Uberschall is a killer amp and with the right pedal setup can be a bit more versatile than people like to give them credit for.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
Quote by mmolteratx
That's really common. EVH famously used an old MXR 6 band in front of his Plexi with a mid boost to tighten it up. I'd never bother with my Bogner.

+311

I'd go with a different amp if I wanted something different.
They make a good boost too though even if you leave them flat. The MXR10 is a good thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Most people don't put them in front because they give you way more control in the loop.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Most people don't put them in front because they give you way more control in the loop.

You actually get more control over the character of the distortion itself in front. You do get more control of the frequency response as a whole in the loop though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm not using an MXR but I have an EQ in both places. They're MIDI controlled so it's pretty nice. You can sculpt the sound of your amp in fine detail doing that. The one in front controls your preamp and the one in the loop controls the power amp. Gotta love that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That doesn't make much sense to me. Isn't the loop in front of the power amp, so it shapes the preamp there? And you'd need some post EQ to control the power amp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
That doesn't make much sense to me. Isn't the loop in front of the power amp, so it shapes the preamp there? And you'd need some post EQ to control the power amp?

No- in front of the preamp it literally increases the point to point voltage incoming into V1.(if you increase the volume) Depending on how V1 is set up it could be the difference of clean vs distortion. . (Basically the gain factor comes into play- a small change into the first gain stage will have a much larger change coming out) [input sesnsitivity]

Not to mention the EQ shaping as well. You are controlling the frequencies that are being distorted.

Past the preamp in the FX loop you are working with the signal out of the preamp and shaping it right before the power amp.(what frequencies have already been distorted)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 17, 2013,