if you don't know what a faraday cage is, google it.
ok, back? good.

i'm toying with the idea of building one because for some reason my mic or amp is picking up EM radiation from other electronics in my recording room. I want to place a small amp inside, mic it, and run a patch cord out of a sealed hole in the back.

anyone had any experience with miking an amp in a box?
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Apr 16, 2013,
Quote by sysD

Google 'isolation cab,' OK? You back?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
nice, thanks for the link.

how do you get around the problem of peaking mic levels at crunch volumes?

(i've only ever used an sm57 and a couple condenser mics on my mixer...)
sigless
Quote by sysD
if you don't know what a faraday cage is, google it.
ok, back? good.

i'm toying with the idea of building one because for some reason my mic or amp is picking up EM radiation from other electronics in my recording room. I want to place a small amp inside, mic it, and run a patch cord out of a sealed hole in the back.

How will you get power to it without compromising the cage?

If you really want to limit EM interference, you'll need to use a battery powered amp and a wireless transmitter tuned to a frequency that will bypass your faraday cage...

Seems a lot of work.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Turn the volume down on your interface. You're not peaking the mic, you're peaking the preamp/interface. If you were clipping an SM57 you'd be dead.

Plus unless you have horrible interference (in which case something else is wrong and a faraday cage won't help you) you can usually get rid of most noise with whatever recording software you used.

It's not a terrible idea, it's just that it's a solution to a problem you shouldn't have in the first place. If you're walking around on your hands because your leg is broken, the novelty of being able to walk on your hands isn't exactly the thing you should be focused on.
I'd suggest finding out whether its the mic or the amp.

If its the mic, try a star-quad xlr cable, its a step up from standard balanced xlrs.
If its the amp I'm not really sure I can help! Have you tried isolating its mains from the mains of your other equipment? And do you have lights with dimmers?

EDIT RE clipping: You won't be clipping the mic, most modern mics can take huge SPLs. Its probably the preamp stage. Try taking down the preamp gain

EDIT2 first thing you should try is moving your amp to another location in the room, away from any lights with dimmers or other non-audio equipment.
Last edited by tim_mop at Apr 16, 2013,
You're overthinking this. You don't need a Faraday cage. I don't know of any studios that use them. All you need to employ is some common sense in your setup.

Are you using an XLR cable between your mic and interface, or is it an XLR to TS cable? If you're using a decent XLR cable, there shouldn't be any noise and you really don't need to purchase a Canare Star-Quad. By its design, an XLR cable will reject noise and will work fine for bedroom studios.

Also, try to route power cables away from signal lines. This isn't a problem for good balanced cables, but is an issue for unbalanced ones.
^Good point.

Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure a screened cable already IS a faraday cage, so making another one isn't going to help!

What cables are you using TS?