I would imagine most other musicians are like me in that they try to squeeze all of the juice out of potentially "euphoric" harmonic sequences (chord progressions), or other emotion that is desired in the listener. I have quite a few of these sequences and some of them are very unusual, but because of the smooth voice leading involved, and the novelty, they are incredibly exciting. I won't post the special two or three however!

But I think we should post some of our go-to sequences just for fun to see if there is any trends. Also post your style of music.

For me (excluding those secret ones...):

I - iii - IV|(V of V) - V(7)
bVI - (V of IV)|I - ii - V(7) (yes, the V of IV is enharmonic to I, but it has a specific effect)
IV - n6 - (V of N6)|N6 - V(7) (requires careful voice leading)
I - vi - IV|(V of V) - V(7)

I write "progressive" electronic rock music in addition to my classical compositions (which usually are not strictly tonal or modal).

Those are good for starting songs or important parts of songs IMO. Let's all try to just use standard Roman Numeral Analysis symbols so we can all understand each other's symbols (since not everyone uses lead sheet symbols, and Roman Numeral Analysis doesn't need to specify a key).

I am excited to see what comes up!
I - vi - IV - V => good vocals, electronic music, a good beat, throw in some non-traditional instruments in the mix and you have yourself a pop hit.

I like this one too:
I - IV7 - iii6- V7#5
A recent one that really hit me, but, I have to say, its not because of the progression, but because of the SONG:

I vi iii IV

There's a guy I found through my sound cloud that wrote a really moving piece and when I listened to it, that vi to iii really worked, and the melody was spot on. I've messed a bit with it, and if I had been hearing it in any context other than his song, I don't think I would have appreciated it. Now that I've heard how it can be used, I appreciate that more. It's not just a progression that hits them, its a progression that hits YOU. When I heard his song, it hit me, then I "knew" the potential for that kind of chord sequence.

Best,

Sean
A progression I just transcribed...

Intro and verse

G - G/A

Pre chorus

Am9 - Bm7 - Cmaj7 - C/D

Chorus

Cmaj7 - D - G

Modulation to bridge

Eb - Ab - F/A - Bb

Bridge

B maj7- G♯m7 - A♯m7 - D♯m7 - A♯m7♯5 - Am13 - G♯m7

Those two parts are cool moves. 2:04 - 2:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9wq5GV2uIU

Nathan East on bass is too good on this track.
Last edited by mdc at Apr 16, 2013,
I V I
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by Sean0913
A recent one that really hit me, but, I have to say, its not because of the progression, but because of the SONG:

I vi iii IV

There's a guy I found through my sound cloud that wrote a really moving piece and when I listened to it, that vi to iii really worked, and the melody was spot on. I've messed a bit with it, and if I had been hearing it in any context other than his song, I don't think I would have appreciated it. Now that I've heard how it can be used, I appreciate that more. It's not just a progression that hits them, its a progression that hits YOU. When I heard his song, it hit me, then I "knew" the potential for that kind of chord sequence.

Best,

Sean

Mind linking it? I'm interested to hear.
i-IV. I use it all the time but it kind of fits everything. Sometimes it feels a bit like a cliche though.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I don't compose all that much these days, but I have been using coltrane changes a lot recently, and am finding that this chord progression is coming out a lot in my improvised playing over ii-V-I based progressions!
I've got a couple:

biio - I
I - bii7
i - iii
I - #IVM7 - Valt

I can't really describe them though... Most of the "magic" comes from the voicings I use, rather than the progression.
Thanks for all of the contributions so far. And very correct about proper voicing - without it fine harmonic sequences can be ruined by poor voice leading.
C#min - Bsus2 - Asus2, D - Csus2 - Dsus2 - Csus2 - Amin

Those are my two favourite progressions. I thought that I made it up, but slowdive has used it before...
Quote by macashmack
Isus4maj7(idk if thats how it's spelled out)
I7sus?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea