So I've got a friend who has recently gotten himself into an Iron Maiden cover group and has become the "Dave Murray" of the group and the constant GAS-er I am I thought I'd "build" myself a Warmoth/custom Davey Murray stratocaster online.

Towards Live After Death he had a black strat with a top mounted Floyd, locking nut, HSH... Pretty standard fare... But trying to build this online I have some questions regarding the tremolo. So I buy myself an OFR online and get the Floyd recessed pocket bridge option from Warmoth would I have any problems? I read some people talk about neck angles are important. Would there need to be something else I'd have to add to the neck/bridge to achieve this top mounted Floyd on a strat? I believe Davey put a Floyd on his 57 strat sometime in the 80's and put a locked nut neck on it, but I'm not sure

Thanks for any comments, I love building guitars online and learning new things about building guitars and what is needed for what and all that
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
I imagine if you're getting a body from Warmoth that's specifically routed for a Floyd there should be no problems.

One of the problems with actually top mounting a Floyd is that it stands so much taller than a regular bridge that the neck does need to be angled back to compensate and keep the strings more or less parallel to it.
Don't put locking nuts on a neck which isn't designed for it, locking nuts are bigger than normal nuts.
I put a top mounted Floyd on an old Gibson superstrat to replace the original "bender" trem. The neck angle needed to be changed by the thickness of a piece of paper under two neck screw holes,it wasn't much. If you are getting a body routed out for fr , it should not be an issue at all, it really isn't a "top mount" then.

And yes double check the nut width for the locking nut.
What the hell!!!