Its been a while since i took lessons and now im giving formal lessons to a few friends.
Frankly i dont know where to start. Advice from both teacher and student is welcome
also any easy song to start them off with?
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix
Well from experience of taking lessons a few years ago the guy that taught me started with some simple songs and scales which I thought was really good to get me started
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
If you don't know what to teach, maybe you shouldn't be teaching just yet.

Start out with open chord shapes, teach them songs they'll know which use those shapes, keep it interesting.
i usuall start them on how to hold the instrument and how to fret properly
using a little effort as neccesary and righ behind the fret then teach them how to hold the pick and how to finger pick and give them a fewexersices to help ith that
then i teach them the open chords etc.
Well, what sort of music are your friends interested in learning?

Scales are always the same for everyone to teach, good to get them out of the way early.

Open chords are often the first thing people learn, essential I guess for most things. Just make sure you teach them a progression of a song they'd like to keep them more interested that way it makes it seem they make more progress.

Power chords, can't go wrong knowing how those work.

Teach famous riffs and licks. Ask them if they have anything they'd want to learn specifically, if its not too complex try and teach it slowly. As soon as I picked up the guitar I wanted to learn One Last Breathe by Creed, so I slowly and painfully did.

That reminds me, knowing how to read tabs will be extremely useful if they want to try and progress in their own time.

Teach them common techniques, hammer-ons, pull-offs, harmonics, bending, vibrato, tremolo, alt/Travis fingerpicking, slides, tapping ALL AFTER the above unless a certain song uses them. Good to introduce them then.

Good easy songs =
Paranoid riff
Smoke on the Water riff
Smells like Teen Spirit riff/solo
Don't Fear the Reaper riff
Punk stuff in general.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I suggest you post this thread in the MT section, if you want any sort of intelligent answers

Actually he'll mostly get unhelpful, "Why are you teaching if you don't know what you're doing" type answers.
Post in the correct forums
basic reading comprehension is useful as a teacher
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
"Why are you teaching if you don't know what you're doing" type answers.

but those are the most fun
being helpful is lame
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
relax guys im not charging them or anything.
When the power of Love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. ~Jimi Hendrix
teach them the D chord
kids love the D
Quote by Dimarzio45
Just, for the love of god, don't be like Tom Hess.

Tom Hess is actually a really good teacher if your goal is to play really really fast, all the time and not stop for any reason.
Quote by Battery Chicken
Tom Hess is actually a really good teacher if your goal is to play really really fast, all the time and not stop for any reason.

I stand corrected.
Get the students to practice some scales and some simple chord progressions. Find songs that are very simple and easy to learn and that incorporate these elements and then present it to the students and ask them to practice these.

ron666
ron666 is the bane of my existence
Drop ALL pretense and focus on what the student wants to get out of it. Your job is not to turn them into a rock star or virtuoso. Your job is to teach them what they want to learn. If their only interest is in impressing girls, then teach some pop songs and send them on their way. If they want to be Satriani then teach them scales and theory. The point is that asking what you should teach them is irrelevant. They will tell you that. My advise is to be responsive and flexible. You can only teach someone what they want to know.