I have very little experience with recording equipment and/or software. I thought about getting a bundle package that includes Presonus Artist software. I have seen comments stating you can not save a completed song with this software. I want to be able to play some of the recorded song ideas from a memory stick while driving to work.

Will this software allow me to do this? As an side, I will only be recording acoustic guitar and vocals.
Post a link to the bundle you're talking about. Sometimes, hardware/software bundles will have "lite" or "LE" versions of the software, sometimes with crippling limitations, and especially if the bundle is cheap.
E: Yeah, it looks like this is the case. You're best off either getting a full DAW program (see the stickies), or upgrading from Artist to a better edition after you get it. But if you like whatever it is you're getting this with, don't let that stop you from buying it.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Apr 16, 2013,
Thanks for the input I was guessing it would be an issue. I could upgrade (goodpoint)...I was hoping to run this on a windows laptop. It has windows 7 with a pent. 5 processor, 4g of RAM and 500Hz could it run a larger program?
To be honest since you're new to this, the discussion could get complicated quite quickly.

Studio One is pro-level software, but the cheap Artist version is very basic and can't be expanded, it's not really worth anything - there's free software that can do more.

Generally speaking bundles are padded out with mediocre stuff that hasn't sold well, it's better value to just pick and choose your own parts.

You'd be better off telling us what you want to do, what you already have, and how much you can afford to spend.
I basically have a Sony laptop (windows 7 with a pent. 5 processor, 4g of RAM and 500Hz ?) so I would need a Mic, all cords, interface and software.

I want to record guitar tracks and vocal tracks (only) and be able to listen to the recording through my car radio that accepts memory sticks. I would go to a recording studio if I came up with something that needs produced.

I like the idea of recording a guitar track and being able to copy multiple times or piece together different ideas when trying to decide song format. I'm not much of a vocalist so I normally start song projects with guitar.

This is more hobbie than career and I would like to stay around a $300 investment (might not be realist).
Quote by cousinjesse
I basically have a Sony laptop (windows 7 with a pent. 5 processor, 4g of RAM and 500Hz ?) so I would need a Mic, all cords, interface and software.

I want to record guitar tracks and vocal tracks (only) and be able to listen to the recording through my car radio that accepts memory sticks. I would go to a recording studio if I came up with something that needs produced.

I like the idea of recording a guitar track and being able to copy multiple times or piece together different ideas when trying to decide song format. I'm not much of a vocalist so I normally start song projects with guitar.

This is more hobbie than career and I would like to stay around a $300 investment (might not be realist).

First off, please explain:
Quote by cousinjesse
pent. 5 processor

Quote by cousinjesse
500Hz

Second, copying and moving guitar parts around is called editing. Pretty much any DAW can do that. Don't worry about it.
All things considered, you'll probably want to pick Reaper over Presonus, because it's not deliberately crippled with stupid limitations that are meant to make you buy a more expensive (and unnecessary) version, and the support is going to be much better.
Quote by cousinjesse

There's no such thing as a Pentium 5 processor, and if you have 4 GB of RAM, I seriously doubt you only have a 500 MHz processor, cause my phone's processing power is better than that (not to mention, it's not enough to run Windows 7 anyway)

Go into your Start menu, go to All Programs, Accessories, System Information (I believe that's the correct way to get there... I'm on a Mac right now so I really can't check ). It should tell you what your processor is, its speed and how many cores it has, plus whatever video card and the amount of physical memory (RAM) you have.

That being said, I really disagree with Kyle that S1 Artist is worthless. It might not be expandable with other VSTs, but the plugins that come with Studio One are better than any stock plugins I've seen in other DAWs and considering he probably doesn't have any commercial plugins to use anyway, I don't really see how it'd be much of a hinderance to him. I guess he won't be able to use external amp simulations, but that's really all I can think that he'd be missing. The Ampire XT sim is surprisingly good, though for a stock amp sim
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Sorry for the bad info. here is the system specs.

Processor - Intel Core 5 M460 @ 2.53 GHZ
4 GB RAM

I not opposed to used mics and equipment to help with cost.