I've been using a Radioshack version of the SM58 for a long time feeling as though I was using a lesser piece of equipment. It cost less than half as much as the Shure. I finally managed to get my hands on a Shure sm58 and I figured I'd do a shoot out. I used mogami gold cables into a presonus firestudio into logic pro. There's absolutely no post processing. I had the pres quite nearly cranked so the signals sit right below 0db.

So, which is better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwXsbWq5fs
EDIT: Link seemed to have disappeared.

The video quality is only 480p, even though I made sure the audio was full quality. But if you prefer here's the original file compressed to a 320 mp3.

http://www.zachfichterstudios.com/me...vs%20Shure.mp3
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Apr 17, 2013,
The better one is the Radio Shack.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The Shure SM58 sounds a little deeper than the Radioshack version, but other than that it's not a huge difference (that I can hear anyway).

Thanks for the comparison. You probably saved a bunch of people $60
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
That's ridiculous. I only heard the difference after I was specifically looking for it the second time through the video.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Interesting.

I quite prefer the Radio Shack one at the end - It has more presence. Though, it's kind of hard to tell with a voice which is "better" because what sounds great on one vocalist might sound like crap on another. For instance - I actually quite prefer my fake SM57 on my vocals to the real one, but on guitars it's absolutely disgusting sounding, whereas the real one CLEARLY better. The Shure in this sounds muffled, but it might actually sound "bigger" in a mix, so it's really hard to pass judgement without hearing it used in something IMO.

Still, this reminds me - I bought a GLS Audio ES-57 a few weeks ago that I meant to do a shootout against the real SM57 and still haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I should get on that...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Remember though, people don't always get the 58 for the sound (I'd never get one for the sound). They get it because you can throw it at the wall, run it over with your car, put it in a washing machine, and then throw it again and there is a 90% chance it will still be functioning (with the exception that it might need a new grill after the car).
Is a youtube video a good way to judge a mic?
Moreover, there are other criterias than sound to judge a mic, such as reliability, feedback rejection...
Welp, now I'm going to be a lot less likely to discredit people for using a Radio Shack 58. I'd still personally rather have the real thing since its built like a tank but its nice to know that the Radio Shack ones aren't a huge waste of money.

Quote by chatterbox272
Remember though, people don't always get the 58 for the sound (I'd never get one for the sound). They get it because you can throw it at the wall, run it over with your car, put it in a washing machine, and then throw it again and there is a 90% chance it will still be functioning (with the exception that it might need a new grill after the car).

Or drop it from a helicopter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VaS3W9k2vo
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I'm actually not sure how much more durable the Shure is. I must say, I don't have 40 dollars to run it over with a car and bury it in the ground for a year but it's taken 5 years of abuse, including being rained on and dropped on a stage god knows how many time. That would be quite a comparison however!

Here's the real killer that I'm surprised none of you heard, especially you Matrix & lockwolf, and what I was actually getting at by recording a voice. The Shure has WAYYYYY more self noise than the Radioshack. If you listen with headphones you'll hear it go from a quiet signal to a pretty decent hiss. That doesn't make this a definitive test by any means, but as I was miking my cab up and doing some small A/Bs that's what I immediately noticed.

BSaxby.... feedback rejection has essentially nothing to do with recording. And chatterbox, you're quite right. A lot of people get them simply because they're unbreakable but I actually quite like using them with very loud vocalists and I've found people have a tough time telling the difference between a 58 and an equivalent condenser in a mix. Maybe I'll try THAT next.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712