Poll: Get a new guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Get a new guitar?
Yes
9 43%
No
12 57%
Voters: 21.
I'm in a band, and we play metal, and I'm meant to play lead but I think I suck. I just got home from practice, in which I f**ked up all but one solo (we played 5 songs). This happens a lot, and I usually blame picks, or how high my strap is, but I mostly blame my guitar.

I have an Ashton beginner's electric. I've heard people say that Ashton sucks plenty of times, but of course I'm poor, so I've had this guitar for the past 5 years. Lately I've been selling a bunch of my stuff, and I already have $400, and there's more to come. That isn't money that I want to waste. So, I wanted to hear people's opinions. Is it my guitar that stops me from soloing well, or should I just make our rhythm guitarist play lead and kill myself?

Of course, my picks are quite shitty (I lost my only good ones, so I had to use a .6 mm nylon one today, and the tip of it was even thinner), or I could just be practicing too little or in a way that doesn't help me at all.
Baaaaah
The skill's in your fingers, not the wood. You may get some resistance from a shitty guitar, but you won't go from screwing up most of your solos to playing like an expert.

Get a new guitar and practice. You can only blame your gear for so long before the excuses wear thin.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Try setting up your guitar so it plays easier. Lower the action if it is too high for you to comfortably play solo's. The guitar should never be blamed unless it is legitimately broken.
you need to practice more, go to a shop and play there guitars and see if it makes a difference. if it does then you can blame your guitar
In case nobody has used an Ashton before, not only are the reviews on here pretty low, but every other guitarist I've met that has known that I've had an Ashton has pretty much straight away told me to get a new one. Also, the solo I was doing worst on was When All Light Dies by Trivium. I could get most of it, but the fast parts were impossible to do as per the tab. I can still move my fingers at mostly the right speed.

I'm not trying to say that I didn't create this thread for a reason.
Baaaaah
Quote by RJ13
In case nobody has used an Ashton before, not only are the reviews on here pretty low, but every other guitarist I've met that has known that I've had an Ashton has pretty much straight away told me to get a new one. Also, the solo I was doing worst on was When All Light Dies by Trivium. I could get most of it, but the fast parts were impossible to do as per the tab. I can still move my fingers at mostly the right speed.

Could try your other player's guitar to see if it's your guitar.
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
Could try your other player's guitar to see if it's your guitar.

He has the same type as me, unfortunately.
Baaaaah
Quote by RJ13
He has the same type as me, unfortunately.

Isn't that just fucking unfortunate.
ayy lmao
Quote by RJ13

the reviews on here are nothing to go buy, so much rubbish has all 10s.
ashtons generally are bad, but there not unplayable. has it had a set up?

i think your just trying to justify buying a new guitar. if you want one just go get one!
Learn how to set up your guitar (free) and buy a new pick ($0.25)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
In my experience Ashtons are fine. The Ashton brand make solid budget guitars. I have played a crapload of guitars too, and only the odd one here and there is actually in the class of "unplayable". I have played no Ashton that would impede my playing physically.

It's much more likely that the guy with the beginner guitar is attempting to play material that is too advanced for him. Equally you can't buy the same tennis racquet as Federer then win the US Open.

Its all practice dude. Dont blame your gear.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just buy a new one if it makes you feel better. New guitars are always cool. But I wouldn't blame my guitar for sucking. You might be able to play a bit better with a better feeling guitar but the difference won't be huge. Also go buy picks if you don't like the ones you have at the moment. Now I only use Jazz III picks because they feel the best in my hand (though for bass I use a big Tortex pick). They don't cost a lot. But buying a new guitar or pick isn't an excuse not to practice. It's all about practicing.

Also, you don't need to play exactly the same solo as on the album. Write your own solo that you can play easily. Because if you feel like you are struggling to play a solo, it will most likely sound like you are struggling to play it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Put down another vote for "probably not the guitar."

If you think maybe you're not practicing enough, then you're probably not practicing enough.

That you're casting about for blame "is it my picks? is it my guitar?" probably means it's use. (By the way, picks are cheap. If you don't like yours go buy some new ones).
Yeah, I doubt it's the guitar unless the action is incredibly high.

I've noticed that sometimes if my strings are old, I'll mess up bends a lot easier. Maybe that?
I'd say try some other guitars and see if your better, picks are cheap, buy a bunch
Buy a Dunlop stubby pick and be done with it...lol

I've found that "cheap" guitars are generally cheap for 2 main reasons....
1-they won't stay in tune
2-TONE

That being said, if a guitar stays in tune, you can make it work....it may be a "Little" tougher to play, and the tone may not be excellent, but It'll do!!

If your playing is decent but it just doesn't seem to "click" every time, or on certain songs etc. you may just need to practice differently!

Find ANY difficult parts that you struggle with and concentrate on them... first of all SLOW them down, alot.....maybe half speed, and make them perfect, then very gradually do it faster and faster, maybe even over the course of days... This WILL get you to play better, and you will feel the parts "click" next time you Jam,

REPETITION IS KEY!

Practice makes permanent...
Perfect practice makes perfect!!
It's possible that you may just not be in the right mood. Yesterday, I felt like I was shit at guitar and couldn't play anything, but today I got pumped up and played really well. See if you're playing because you want to or because you feel that you have to.
Although I do have a question for TS.

Have you ever played one of those solos correctly?

If you have, is it when playing along with the song?

Because its quite possible you're actually listening to yourself for the first time. After about a year of playing you finally listen and go "woah, that aint right". Its a required step to becoming a better muso.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Morphogenesis26
It's possible that you may just not be in the right mood. Yesterday, I felt like I was shit at guitar and couldn't play anything, but today I got pumped up and played really well. See if you're playing because you want to or because you feel that you have to.

If TS is constantly not "in the right mood", though...then mood isn't the issue. We all have our off-days. But we can't blame things like if technique or skill isn't up to the level required to play what we want to play.

@mdc:
Go away. There's nothing wrong with playing metal, and your comment didn't add a damn thing.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 18, 2013,
Quote by AlanHB
Have you ever played one of those solos correctly?

I'm gunna go ahead and call it an off-day. I have had much better days.

I've looked around the internet and talked with this family friend from the local musician's club, and I'm thinking the main problem I have is the action. It's a little above 3.5mm. I've also heard that my particular guitar (not just Ashtons in general, I know) could possibly become slightly out of shape if I adjust the action too much. That's only one person, though. I'll go to the place I got it originally sometime soon.

Also, I'm guessing I missed something with this mdc guy. I do play metal but the genres I listen to are avant-garde metal, tech-death (both of which are mostly instrumental bands like Dysrhythmia, Behold the Arctopus, etc), post black metal and classical, jazz and ambient. I'm not one of those 12-year-olds that thinks Slayer are the only band in the world. I don't even like Trivium, and we're covering two Trivium songs.
Baaaaah
The only way to tell is really try another guitar. If that doesn't work, I think you should work on technique. I am a huge advocate of this. If people complain they can't play fast enough, what is often the problem is that they aren't dexterous enough or their technique is lacking somewhere. Tension sets in and that is a hard habit to break out of and works against you. Your playing should feel smooth and effortless. You really got to iron out every detail of your playing to see where things collapse. It's a combo of a lot of moving parts. Another thing is playing fast and slow. I think you have to master slow first and then gradually push yourself keeping things clean. Playing fast I think utilizes different motions than playing slow.

Also meant to add that dexterity/coordination is a slow process that can be built over the years if you consciously focus on it. That takes work. Then you get to a point where it's imbedded in your subconscious and you don't think about it and just do it. I talked to one real performing virtuoso who knows he has mastered something when he can do it eyes closed, since it allows you to focus on the sound more.
Last edited by sweetdude3000 at Apr 18, 2013,