These are within my price range so im ONLY looking at these two.

I wanna do 70's rock to 80's metal and i have a Line 6 HD300 for effects.

My guitars are Charvel Model 6 and USA Jackson RR1.

Which one out of these two do you reccomend?

The JCA22H is like $300 and the DT is about $560.

Also to mention i want a low watt tube amp so 6505 112 is out of the question.

Thanks

Also this will be good for future google searches.
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Are you finding the amp modeling in the HD300 useful and is it a CRITICAL component for your sound?

Honestly for that range of music, you ought to go try both amps and see which sound suits you better.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If you like the sound of the moddeling on the HD300 you may want to think about getting a powered wedge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JCA22 is a nice versitle amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They're both very different amps doing the same basic Britishy trick, you'd have to decide. And may I ask why you're limiting yourself to low wattage amps?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^ +1

I think that getting a bigger amp with a functional master volume should never be written off just because its big.

TS, can we get some specific examples of tones you want, the DT and JCA are very different.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
well, a huge playing preference will come from a 1 or 2 channel amp. the dark terror will be simple set and forget and be higher quality. with 3 knobs, if you like the tone out of the box, you really have no issue.

however, keep in mind there will be no switching back and forth between prestine clean and dirty. you will use pedals, volume knobs, playing style, or just play with a breakup for a clean tone. to some thats an issue.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
^Both amps are 2-channel amps?

EDIT: I was thinking of the other DT: Dual Terror

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 17, 2013,
the orange is much better built and from my experiences orange has prooven to be very sturdy and reliable.

i was trying to buy a JCA2112RC (JCA 20 combo) i got four DOA's (or as you turn on for the first time) and decided i wouldn't want a the JC2112RC, because on my (maybe faulty or maybe sound) if they weren't coming to my door working, i couldn't trust throwing them around gigging.

i have had a Dual Terror pretty much right when they were released, its been everywhere at least once, probably four or so different bars and some other open mics and it is very nice to transport. comes in a small padded gig bag with the handle sticking through and a shoulder strap. easy. has pockets for smaller accessories.

i bought mine blindly and was worried about a singe tone knob, but it is very effective, and set and forget, or turn a few degrees to adjust to switch a different guitar. my dual terror (30 15 or 7 watts), i can play in my house with my wife sleeping (she isn't a deep sleeper either) with satisfactory tone. i go on my heavier channel get the gain where you want it and get the volume knob down, and it still sounds good. it is very rollback friendly with your guitar's volume knob for a cleaner tone. i am beyond impressed.

and remember i have the Dual, so some nuances may be different. i think i only messed with a Dark for a few minutes, didn't really get too loud with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I inly want a bedroom tube amp so the wattage size and price fits me perfectly .

I cant find any JCA22's to try out in Melbourne Australia but i have tried the Dark Terror n it made me orgasm!
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Quote by AussieTerry84
I inly want a bedroom tube amp so the wattage size and price fits me perfectly .

I cant find any JCA22's to try out in Melbourne Australia but i have tried the Dark Terror n it made me orgasm!

too keep in mind with the JCA22 has two channels, but both are dirty. i don' remember if i played on of those or not, but if you are concerned about cleans, either way they would have some dirt, including the JCA20 (which i have played. no great cleans from that.

the dual terror (i mostly use it at 15watts or 7watts) has some dirt in the cleans even at 30 watts.

i wouldn't recommend the Jet city cab. the speakers are shit IMO. but orange cabs do cost a tad more. i play my Dual Terror through a PPC212OB (open back) with dual V30's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
at one point i was considering a jet city cab.....thats for confirmation

also a valid point with the both dirty channels, but even then if there is seperate gain etc, you can atleast have 1 fairly low and 1 fairly hi, and have an immeidate change between the 2.

othrwise, the player needs to be more involved to change his gain with a 1 channel amp. so regardless of prestine cleans, the same issue still exists.

not to mention if you want to nail some music just like the recording, some songs rapidly go back and forth between clean and dirty quickly, making a non-channle switching setup very hard to use.

i can remember incubus for example going from clean with lots of effects, to dirty ballsy chrous on and off.....i had a very hard time keeping up and maintaining sounds like the real recording.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
20W is still gonna be loud as hell, don't think it's gonna be a whisper quiet amp. Even a 5W tube amp is loud as hell. The difference in volume between the 20, 50 and 100W isn't all that much, the differences are how much saturation you'll get from the power section, how much low end and clarity from the larger iron, and how much clean headroom you'll have at a given volume. The jump from 20W to 100W is more noticeable, but stepping from 20 to 50 is almost negligible

I would recommend the JCA50H over the 22H just for the 6L6's and better headroom. There is clean potential in the 50/100W, but it sounds best with a touch of dirt in the tone for sure. Think hotrodded blues, very dynamic and pick sensitive amps. Be aware that the Jet City is a bright amp, I'm not sure about that specific Orange but all the ones I've played have been rather dark in comparison.

That's actually the only instance of reliability issues I've heard about Jet City, their PCB's are the thick industrial grade stuff and the components are spaced out very nice. Very easy to work on and Mike Soldano has flown to China quite a few times to make sure they're being built to his specs, including component values and durability. The 20W single channel is also an incredibly popular modding platform because of the ease of swapping components and inherent durability.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 18, 2013,
Any more opinions on the Dark Terror?
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
No experience on the DT. But another vote for JCA.

I have the JCA20H. Single channel, only 3 preamp stages. But plenty of gain to get me classic rock dirty. I have to put distortion in front of it, tho, to get into the metal realm. Beautiful in its simplicity.

That's why my next amp will be the JCA22H, so I can have 5 preamp stages with 2 channels and fx loop.
I have a jca22h, you can get clean tones out of the crunch channel, just not much headroom. Not pristine cleans, but usable. That second channel though.... that has enough gain to do anything you'd want. The master volumes are another plus. Don't know anything about the DT though.
I've got a Dark Terror and I don't really think I'd recommend it for low gain stuff, since you don't really have much of any clean headroom with such a low wattage amp.
It cleans up nicely, and has a nice crunch, but you won't get that much volume at anything below or around 9-10 o'clock on the gain knob, which is probably where you'll want to be for 70's rock.
It has loads of gain on tap...perhaps a Tiny Terror or Dual Terror is better if you want to go the Orange Terror route (haven't played those, but I imagine they are a bit tamer)?

If you indeed are going to strictly keep it as a bed room amp though, I'd say the Dark Terror can do anything you'll want, though.
Btw...it is really loud if you want it to be.. .I rarely play it at over 9 o'clock volume (sounds best at around 9-10 o'clock on the volume imho). I prefer playing with ear plugs at that or higher volume if I play for an extended time.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
I've got a Dark Terror and I don't really think I'd recommend it for low gain stuff, since you don't really have much of any clean headroom with such a low wattage amp.
It cleans up nicely, and has a nice crunch, but you won't get that much volume at anything below or around 9-10 o'clock on the gain knob, which is probably where you'll want to be for 70's rock.
It has loads of gain on tap...perhaps a Tiny Terror or Dual Terror is better if you want to go the Orange Terror route (haven't played those, but I imagine they are a bit tamer)?

If you indeed are going to strictly keep it as a bed room amp though, I'd say the Dark Terror can do anything you'll want, though.

If you go with the small Terror Heads (not the Dual Terror with 2 channels) you won't have an FX Loop except the Dark Terror as you have to consider this, if you like playing with many pedals!

Even though the Dark Terror has loads of gain, you can still achieve a decent clean tone with the right setting.

And like Shor said: perfectly made for a bedroom practice amp!
I'd go for the Jet City.

I've been using the JCA50H has my main amp since just before x-mas. So far so good I've been beating this thing back and forth to practice, the studio, and gigs at least twice a week, and I haven't had any problems at all. You can get a pretty good clean out of channel one, but even on my 50H, there's a limit to how clean you can keep it at higher volumes. That being said, I have played bars with like 100-150 people un-miced, and kept a reasonable clean tone. I do like a little bit of breakup on my cleans, so my definition of clean may be different from yours.

For me, the biggest selling point of the JCA's is the dirty tones. For the price, I don't think your going to find another amp that will produce such amazing dirty tones. You can take it from a mild blusy od all the way to a in your face metal tone. Its very versatile.

I haven't used the JCA22, but I have used the 20H, and its a great amp.

Like others have said, your best bet is to go and try them both out, and then let you ears decide.

The JCA also takes pedals very well. I find that the loop is pretty useless, so I plug my delays, phasers, EQ... etc infront.

If you're interested, I can send you a link to a song that my band recorded where I used a JCA20H and my JCA50H together for dirty tones.

Cheers!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112