This is for guitarists that are in punk bands - what amp do you guys use? Is the marshall line of amps best for getting a punk rock tone? I'm not in a band so I don't exactly have the loudest or best amp.. I still use the distortion on my old Marshall MG (don't laugh haha)

But just a general wondering on how to get that punk distortion like the Ramones, sex pistols or more recent punk eg. blink-182 or green day. Any thoughts?
Pretty much any Marshall JCM will do the deed nicely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sex Pistols: A silverface Twin Reverb & humbuckers.*

Look at the signature file, do it, and play through the vibrato channel because with V1 missing the normal channel will be dead. Do it and you can get that breakup without killing everyone around you with volume. If you get yourself a cheapie tube preamp, you can get it at bedroom levels. I use a Behringer MIC200 ($40-$45) on the neutral setting and I can get a dead-ringer Sex Pistols sound easy.

Johnny Ramone used Marshalls and a Mosrite guitar.

* Steve Jones used such a Twin and a Les Paul custom on the Bollocks album.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Apr 17, 2013,
There are tons of punk bands and naturally tons of sounds, ranging from scratchy awful solid-state crap to awesome powerful drive.

As Cath said, a JCM is a good way to get a variety of tones. You may also want to look at Mesa Rectifiers, Peavey (pretty much any of their high gainers), or even some lower gain amps like a Vox AC30. The world is you oyster for punk, lots of ways to get a good sound
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The Pistols used a cranked Fender Twin on Bollocks but when I saw them on the reunion tour Steve Jones was using a JCM900. They sounded like the Pistols to me
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cheers guys, the JCM sounds awesome. Another thing I forgot to add - how important are the pickups to get a decent punk sound? Like people say you need humbuckers ie. Seymour Duncan pickup or a P-90 to achieve that sound but can you just do that with just a single coil axe?
For classic punk, get a vintage voiced tube amp and crank it. Grab a simple OD if you want to push it into modern territory.

On the subject of pickups, your preference. More modern stuff tends to favor humbuckers but it doesn't matter so much.
True punk can be accomplished with almost any gear; what matters is the attitude. You have to work really hard to ensure that people think you don't care what they think.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Billy Joe Armstrong plays P90s (LP Juniors) into Marshalls and has some really great sounding guitar tones ever IMO on the newer albums.

Overall some Marshall-y amp and a guitar with humbuckers or P90s will do fine.
Singlecoils as well if you know what you're doing.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by tubetime86
True punk can be accomplished with almost any gear; what matters is the attitude. You have to work really hard to ensure that people think you don't care what they think.

Yep. Use what you've got and turn it up loud and distorted.
When I was in a punk band I used my friends Fender FM 212 amp. I used a lighter distortion and my buddy would use the heavier one when we played metal. I also used some yamaha guitar that I don't have anymore. It had 2 humbuckers and a single coil in the centre. I pretty much exclusively played the bridge pickup. We would write our own songs and do a Ramones song, a GG Allin song, and a raw punk rock version of Hanah Montanna's theme song
Anything. Write good songs and write your own rules. One of the beautiful things about early punk was the variety of sounds.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Quote by tubetime86
True punk can be accomplished with almost any gear; what matters is the attitude.

Agree, get an amp with any kind of drive/distortion on it and play it out loud. You can say that if you are trying to "find out" what you have to buy to get a punk sound, you aren't being so punk xD. First punks played what they found, what was cheaper, they cranked it up and kicked asses with a raw and shitty, aggressive sound: that is real punk. Punk isn't just a kind of music or a style, it's a real attitude, and it's all about speed: play just fast downpicked powerchord and that's all!
I agree any Marshall JCM xxx will work
If your on a budget:
Peavey VTM60/120
Peavey Ultra/ultra+
Peavey XXX/JSX/3120
Peavey Windsor
Jet City JCA 50/100/100HDM
Peavey valveking
Mesa studio22
Mesa 50. caliber
Mesa rectifier
Laney AOR
Laney GH50/100

all of these will do multitudes of different Punk stlyes

I have played in punk/hardcore bands for the last 10+ yrs and as long as your rig sounds good your OK.

Sex Pistols are horrible regardless of what anyone says and are the punk band I would like to sound like the least. I really wish people would stop putting them on a pedestal cause the tones suck at best.

Aim for at least Bad Religion/Ramones tone at least those bands got it right

I have always been about a good sound reguardless of how "punk" I have come across over the years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 17, 2013,
Billie Joe uses a special hum-cancelling p90 on his Gibsons for the most part which is pretty much anything American Idiot and after. Before he mainly used a Strat with a Duncan JB. JCM and Plexi (Modded to hell and back) has been the most used amp for Green Day in general. If I remember correctly, Blink-182 used Rectos quite extensively. The Tom Delonge Strat comes with an Invader, but I don't know if that means he actually used one.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Alexander Nero
First punks played what they found, what was cheaper, they cranked it up and kicked asses with a raw and shitty, aggressive sound: that is real punk.

Yes, hence the proliferation of Vox, Marshall and Fender amps among the first wave punk bands
Quote by tas38
Billie Joe uses a special hum-cancelling p90 on his Gibsons for the most part which is pretty much anything American Idiot and after. Before he mainly used a Strat with a Duncan JB. JCM and Plexi (Modded to hell and back) has been the most used amp for Green Day in general. If I remember correctly, Blink-182 used Rectos quite extensively. The Tom Delonge Strat comes with an Invader, but I don't know if that means he actually used one.

I saw Blink 182 when Cheshire Cat was first released and Tom used a HSS Strat and a JCM900DR. later he was using Mesa( I think about Dude Ranch era).

Damn I'm getting old quick
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bad Religion, Pennywise and NOFX were using Rectos when I saw them. Early punk was mainly cranked Fenders or Marshalls. However, I was playing some Bad Religion on a JCM900 on saturday because I blew up my Abbey (which can do both types with aplomb) and it worked pretty damn well. I'd say that a JCM900 can do later punk better than a Recto can do early punk. As compromises go it's a nice cheap option.

PS: If you had plenty of money to burn I can't help but think that a Mesa Royal Atlantic would be a sensational punk amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification