Feeling stuck in my music (not just my own, but in general) Anyone with tips?? :)

Hey guys..

So i have been really low on creativity lately.. Im still an acoustic guitarist under training (kinda beginning intermediate lvl. Im learning Major Scale and Bar Chords right now)..

So i write my own songs, and i train my guitar skills, but i'm kinda in a pit (sorry for the bad pun )

My creativity is gone and i feel like i kinda wanna play but i can't get myself to do anything with the guitar in my hands.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could try and do to go my groove back?

Marc
What type of styles of music have you been playing? Try a style slightly outside your comfort zone.

For example, if you've been playing a lot of simple country, then ask your teacher to teach you some basic blues songs. (Or visa-versa.) The idea is that, by playing in a slightly different style, you learn certain musical elements that you may not have learned before.

Make sense?

Btw, you may want to repost this thread in Musician's Talk forum, which is here.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 17, 2013,
stop playing for a couple of days, listen to music
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I find that a change of scene helps creativity flow. Something as simple as deciding to write a short story or a poem or paint something or make something out of old toilet roll tubes instead of doing music might be enough to get you going, then you can come back to the music fresh...?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
Quit playing music. Its not for you.

What the f*ck?

Play the hell out of your guitar, just try some new stuff
I'm in the same boat.. Everything I try to write sounds similar lately.
Well.. I listen to alot of John Mayer's newest album Born and Raised (not at all the pop from him that he used to do..) I listen to Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and such.. So mixed pleasures. Writing depends.. Sometimes an idea or a phrase just pops into my head and i write it down. Other times i sit down and play and it just comes to me over time.. But i am kinda feeling used lately.. My song themes range from sad-ish life realism (I have suffered from light depression, so ... yeah.. ) to more optimistic "i'll conquer the world" ish stuff, if you know what i mean Mostly sad though, actually.. I guess kinda bluesy lyrics mixed music background from John Mayer style pop influence to Springsteen rock type.. Even some Bob Dylan "Don't Think Twice" style stuff.. Ehm.. Yeah..

Also i don't have a teacher.. I'm learning online from Justin Sandercoe Great teacher.
Last edited by MarcFlink at Apr 17, 2013,
Compose music... like for piano or flute. This will give you a different perspective into music. Put new strings on your guitar (works for me). Work on a new hobby, I find that building things works for me.
It happens to everyone, ups and downs of the creative process. Just take a break and come back to it when you feel like playing again.
It's a process, not an event.
Try some effects, buy a looper (that's a sure fire way to fix the problem), maybe get a delay. Mic that shit & have at it.
Sometimes when I'm down on guitar playing I watch videos on youtube about either guitar related stuff (like learning more about playing a specific style such as jazz or metal) or someone playing a song. Kinda motivates me to get playing and gives me new ideas.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Like most guys say - try something you're not used to/ don't even like.

For example - learn some Michael Buble stuff on acoustic. Not complex, but different. As he covers a lot of 50's stuff - it will lead you into rock n roll/ blues too.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
John Mayer said it in better words in an interview on YouTube, but he basically said 'your job as a musician is to wait for the inspiration and music to come to you, and in the meantime hone your technical skills, increase theoretical knowledge, gain perfomance experience, etc., so when it does come to you, you'll be well equipped to fully take advantage of your musical arousal.' eh.. something like that.
find another creative outlet or two. it could be a different genre, a different instrument, something completely unrelated to music like drawing or something.

or if you're hell bent on being just a super music man, that John Mayer quote is good.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by MrDo0m
I'm in the same boat.. Everything I try to write sounds similar lately.

Well it'd be bloody weird if songs written by the same person were completely unrecognizable wouldn't it?
Quote by lettuceface
John Mayer said it in better words in an interview on YouTube, but he basically said 'your job as a musician is to wait for the inspiration and music to come to you, and in the meantime hone your technical skills, increase theoretical knowledge, gain perfomance experience, etc., so when it does come to you, you'll be well equipped to fully take advantage of your musical arousal.' eh.. something like that.

Wow, that's a damn good quote. I guess Mayer is right Yeah, thanks for the responses guys. I'll try and get my mind on something else when it's all dark, and other than that just keep training, even though i might not be in the right mood at this time. Think i'll play some video games to take my mind off of things It's been so long..
Here's a tip: stop using so many damn smilie faces.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Listen to new genres and note patterns in songs that you like. By patterns I mean something like "I like how they have four lines in the first chorus and in the second they keep it going with six lines" or whatever.