I have a drum mic set and the stands and 2 presonus firestudio mobile interfaces that can be daisy chained to form 4 xlr inputs and 12 line trs inputs. I'm going to buy some xlr cables and a couple xlr to trs adapters so I can mic a full drumset with 2 overheads, a snare, 3 toms, a kick, and 2 rooms.

What length should I get? 50 feet? 100 feet? I can't guarantee being able to be in a different room from the set but if I could, that'd be great. But I don't know what length allows me to do that and what length is just overkill.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Last edited by OfCourseNot at Apr 17, 2013,
I'd buy some short ones like 15 feet and a multicore.
You also might need some preamps for the line ins.
You need them long enough to get from your drums to the recording mixer/interface.

Measure that distance and there you go.
Quote by OfCourseNot
I have a drum mic set and the stands and 2 presonus firestudio mobile interfaces that can be daisy chained to form 4 xlr inputs and 12 line trs inputs. I'm going to buy some xlr cables and a couple xlr to trs adapters so I can mic a full drumset with 2 overheads, a snare, 3 toms, a kick, and 2 rooms.

What length should I get? 50 feet? 100 feet? I can't guarantee being able to be in a different room from the set but if I could, that'd be great. But I don't know what length allows me to do that and what length is just overkill.

So what are you going to use for the extra pre-amps? Mic's don't work direct into line inputs.
Quote by PSimonR
So what are you going to use for the extra pre-amps? Mic's don't work direct into line inputs.

Not even with an adapter? I swear my friend has done it before with a dynamic mic, I could be wrong. Do I need to just buy a new interface?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot

all the mics will need a preamp.

Quote by OfCourseNot

the length you need will depend upon the room you record and the length of the instrument/amp to the recording device.

i don't think i own a mic cord over 25', most of my mic cords are around 12' long. i record everything in one mid size room (20'x20')

my friend has a house were he runs cable through the wall to other rooms. he has some 50' cords.

i have helped do sound for outdoor concerts with like 150' snakes.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If you only have 4 inputs then you need a mixer at some point. There is no point in doing anything but the most basic recording without using balanced line all the way so forget adaptors, you need microphone pre amps. These are available separately but are built in to the mixer, you can pick up a simple mixer suitable for drums for not much more than the cost of a decent mic. More mics won't get you a better sound, you need to keep it simple and understand what you are doing.

There's a simpler and better way though called the Glyn Johns Method after the guy who developed it. John Bonham's drum sound on record was recorded by Glyn Johns as was Clapton, the Stones etc etc. It involves only four mics (only two of which have to be high quality) and a tape measure, start here http://therecordingrevolution.com/2011/01/10/the-glyn-johns-drum-recording-method/ which gives an outline and then google it for step by step instructions.

Oh, you can join XLR leads in a daisy chain to get the length you want.

Have fun.