it was my birthday 3 days ago and I got this from my mom. She didn't know I needed two.

I KNOW the IDEAL would be to buy another monitor of the same type but $200 is kind of a lot for me right now. So would buying a little less expensive one still be okay? Also until then would it be better to record using one monitor or crappy $30 headphones?

Also what does bi-amplified mean?
Use both for now. It can be useful to monitor some stuff in mono to make sure you're instruments are well separated, but you want to do most of your mixing in stereo. It's far from completely useless but get another one as soon as you can.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Use both for now. It can be useful to monitor some stuff in mono to make sure you're instruments are well separated, but you want to do most of your mixing in stereo. It's far from completely useless but get another one as soon as you can.

what do you think of the idea of buying a different brand/ model for a cheaper price?
I wouldn't recommend it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
One thing you could do is ask if anyone you know has a set of good quality Hi-Fi speakers they don't use any longer, and put ends on to fit jack cables (if you're okay with soldering) - that way you can have a set, at a reasonable quality.
If you don't move around a lot when recording, headphones shouldn't be a problem - really good ones are worthwhile, but at the same time, if you aren't recording stuff just for your own listening, then remember to also listen through a cheaper set of headphones/earphones to see how that sounds.
I think bi-amplified means it goes through two separate sections of amplification? You could Google it. Basically though, each time a signal is amplified, it adds noise to the signal, which is bad. If I'm right about bi-amplification, you wouldn't really want it.
Quote by donegan_zealot
what do you think of the idea of buying a different brand/ model for a cheaper price?

Absolutely not. Complete waste of time, to be honest.

There's nothing you can do except get a second one, or send it back and get a pair in the same price range - I'm sure your mum will understand.