Page 1 of 2
I own a Boss metalcore pedal which I think its great when I play guitar (I'm typically a bass player and it sounds pretty good with bass too) Most guitarists stick up their nose at it thinking "ewww metalcore it's gonna suck" Then they plug it in and absolutely love it.

Is anyone else surprised when they read a name think its going to suck until they try it?

P.S I bought the metalcore pedal before I understood genres so the name didn't offend me.
Line 6 DT25 was a nice surprise.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Line 6 [anything], apart from the Spider combo amps. I never trusted Line 6, since everybody else said they were crap, then I found out that actually three of my favourite bands had recorded and toured five of my favourite albums with Line 6 amps and pretty much everybody else I listen to has at some point used Line 6 effect pedals or rack units. So I gave them a go and waddya know, they sound damn good. Not perfect in any one regard, but they make up for that with functionality. Flextone, HD147, Vetta 1 & 2, Spider Valve mkII, DT, HD floor units, all their effects units, the newer Variax guitars and their wireless systems all sound pretty great given the flexibility they offer and the price.
Since I picked up an HD147 I've had several valve amps from Marshall, Peavey, Fender and Orange and the Line 6 is the one that's still here while the others got sold off. I've got a Bad Cat amp on the way and I've got my fingers crossed it will finally knock the HD147 off the top spot.

Been a lot of cheap pickups that have been pleasantly surprising, too. If you listen to the hype, you have to have at least Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups for bedroom playing and nothing short of a £130 custom wind will do for pub gigs upwards. I've plugged in quite a few cheaper pickups now—axesrus, GFS, IronGear, Tonerider, Wilkinson, etc—and had no particular issues.

I have to say, Bugera's amps don't sound half bad these days, either, at least considering they cost a fifth as much as the designs they're ripping off. They're still not something I'd rush out to buy, but I'd no longer laugh at somebody who did pick one up.

If anything, I am starting to be more frequently disappointed by the prestigious names than I am surprised by the cheap ones. Top brands—even boutique ones—have hit a ceiling in quality while their prices go up. Cheap brands continue to improve while their prices stay low. I've lost count of the number of gigs I've been to recently where one person has turned up with a hefty 'pro' rig, someone else has turned up with budget gear and I've not been able to tell the two apart.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I have to say, Bugera's amps don't sound half bad these days, either, at least considering they cost a fifth as much as the designs they're ripping off. They're still not something I'd rush out to buy, but I'd no longer laugh at somebody who did pick one up.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about a Bugera's tone... That was never the issue.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
To be fair, I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about a Bugera's tone... That was never the issue.

Yeah, the issue was mostly the lack of an included fire extinguisher.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i just got a cheap $100 squier bullet hh for practicing, modding and fixing frets and surprisingly it doesn't need any work. guitar sounds great and the neck and frets are perfect! probably a one in a million thing because i expected garbage.
some of the lower end squires have really surprized me

also joyo i bought one thinkng id at least have a case to put in a another pedal or somehting to screw around with at home i was really surprized the ultimate drive has made it into my gigging rig

in fact alot of budget gear has surprized me

bugeras reliabily has really surprized me(bought it on a whim cause it was so cheap)
funny enough its th eonly amp ive had that never broke down in a gig
I have a Line 6 Vetta 2 HD which I use as my main amp. Normaly RRP it's about £1400 but I got it for £600, I was very suprised. My main amp, it's a beast.
Raven amps, clean channel isn't bad. Especially with a better speaker.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Deltalab fx pedals. their phaser is my current fav and I really like their delay as well (except the kinda short 300ms delay time). I often mention my Vineyard Strat copy as the fav guitar I own and really like my Vintage SG copy as well. honestly you don't have to have brand names or spend a fortune to get decent gear (within reason).
My Blue Voodoo doesn't suck as bad once I modified it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
GFS, or GuitarFetish, whatever the intialism means.

Was skeptical, since they're not that popular, great stuff though
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
My Fame V30 loaded 212. It's basically the same as a Harley Benton in terms of quality and price, the dimensions are slightly different and that's it.

Sounds great, in my opinion.
GFS pickups I have been very impressed with. Some of them will give Dimarzio/Duncan a run for their money as sound goes and at $30ish a pickup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
GFS pickups I have been very impressed with. Some of them will give Dimarzio/Duncan a run for their money as sound goes and at $30ish a pickup
Unless you play loud.

I was pleasantly surprised by my Livingstone (an Aldi brand) overdrive pedal. It was dirt cheap ($20 iirc) and I bought it for the enclosure. However it sounds like a Boss SD1 so I left it alone and just used it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JOYO pedals have been getting a good bang-for-your-buck reputation, and I can see why. I got a JOYO EQ pedal (a knock off of the MCR EQ) for like $30... it works fine. In fact, I use it in my rig as my solo/lead boost in my effects loop. Had it for about a year, no issues at all.

I also had the JOYO overdrive before I got a nice tubescreamer for Christmas (then lost to JOYO in a package trade deal - I swap a lot). The JOYO OD was $110 cheaper than my Maxon, but the difference in tone wasn't THAT much.

Also, for amps... my first amp was a Crate and it wasn't that bad (one of the bigger combo amps they make). The clean channel was actually pretty decent. I even gigged with it a few times before I got my current amp.
Quote by tubetime86

i really cant tell the tonal difference on my bc15 to an ac15 when playing cleans
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by supersac

also joyo i bought one thinkng id at least have a case to put in a another pedal or somehting to screw around with at home i was really surprized the ultimate drive has made it into my gigging rig

Yeah I have to go with this also. Got myself a Joyo Ultimate Drive about 8 months ago and it did get me by surprise for such a cheap little unit.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
I know it has been said, but Line 6 stuff. I'm not ashamed to say that there is a Spider III sitting under my desk at home right now. I know that Spiders are OMFG THE WORST THINGS IN THE WORLD, but for low bedroom playing, I haven't found anything better for the price. Of course its not a serious recording or live amp, but it gets the job done pretty well for practice, and doesn't sound near as bad as you would expect from reading these forums.

Also, their HD series is pretty freaking good not just for Line 6, but for anybody. If they would have released those amps under another name, they would get a lot more recognition from the brand snobs.
Yamaha's budget electrics and acoustics are a lot nicer than most people, myself included, think. I have a real cheap Yamaha acoustic and it plays and sounds great. It's no Taylor, but for the 150 bucks it cost iirc, it's more than great.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by iwannabesedated

Their Vintage Modified series is awesome. For the price, they're unbelievable.

I really want to try out some of the VM series. I've heard a lot of good about them.

Personally, I'm always looking for "bang for your buck gear". As someone who gigs frequently, I'm more concerned with having a solid piece of equipment that sounds good, plays well, and does what I need it to do than the brand name. That all being said, some budget gear I like, and in some cases, use:

Agile/Rondo Guitars - At this point, Agile guitars really shouldn't "surprise" anyone. They've long been praised as some of the best quality budget guitars on the market. I own one (AL-2900 Chambered), the other guitarist in my band does too (AL-3100), and my friend's Douglass Semi Hollow (Gretsch-"copy") is a really nice guitar as well! To be fair, I've never heard the Douglass used for anything other than my buddy's Punk-a-billy band, but it handles that with ease, as you'd imagine for such a guitar. The Agiles seem to hold tune better than the Douglass, but it's not bad in that department by any means.

Certain Behringer Pedals/PA gear - Behringer seems like a brand that is really hit and miss. Some of their stuff is really good budget gear, some us utter junk. As far as their pedals go, I own the Hellbabe Wah, Vintage Delay, and the 7-band EQ, with the wah and the delay both being used on my current pedalboard. The Hellbabe wah is surprisingly good and tweakable as well. Is it as good as a boutique wah? Of course not! But, for the price (I think I paid 40 bucks), it's served me very well for years. To be honest, I bought it thinking that I would just use it for a couple months until I saved up for a better wah after my Crybaby Classic shit out on me, but it serves me well enough that I don't feel to spend the money on an upgrade.

The Vintage Delay is on my board, but it's only used in "dry" sounding venues when I need a slight touch of delay for leads. That's the only need I have for it, and it does it well (although it's a bit touchy to dial it in where I want it). I used to use the EQ as a solo boost, a duty it did well, but I've since upgraded my OD's and don't have a need for a 3rd drive/boost on my board (MI Audio Blues Pro as my main OD, Digitech Bad Monkey for solo boost).

Behringer's PA equipment has always impressed me. If you're looking to build a PA to use for small venues and practices, it's a good option to look into if you're on a budget.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Fender Starcaster Chorus pedal that i bought online from Sears (of all places) for $8.00 after shipping.
That was not to long after they came out.
Probably the best i've heard.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Line 6. Love my Variax. Only thing that's shit is the POD Studio GX interface I bought when I first started recording. Broke in under a year.
Anyways, their products' quality is skyrocketing pretty hard lately.
Low end Samson mics are some of the best value microphones I've ever used.

Bugera Amps sound great, and I'd love another 333, but I just don't trust their reliability (not to mention their distributors in Australia are disgraceful to deal with), and I have a V3 now anyway.
Quote by Dan_5893
Low end Samson mics are some of the best value microphones I've ever used.

Bugera Amps sound great, and I'd love another 333, but I just don't trust their reliability (not to mention their distributors in Australia are disgraceful to deal with), and I have a V3 now anyway.

I have a Samson R21S. I bought it for versatility because I was also getting a AT2020, and wanted a dynamic too. It's pretty great for a low end mic. Doesn't have as much highs as my AT2020 though.
Line 6 POD HD and James Tyler Variax were quite pleasant surprises.
The Variax isn't really a guitar I'd actually buy, but it's kind of cool what it can do.

Also the Yamaha THR series, really didn't think that it would sound good at all for that size, but I was absolutely blown away actually. Not that I thought Yamaha made crappy guitar gear, just didn't expect it to be THAT good.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
This is such a positive thread! I was pleasantly surprised with a Marshall MG15 that I picked up from a car boot sale. Works fantastic as a door stop.

No, seriously. For a nasty distortion, the Behringer HM300 is almost identical sounding to the Boss HM-2.
Fender Frontman FM65DSP

The normal Frontmans are kind of bland and gross, but the clean amp models on the digital one are pretty great. All the distorted amp models are awful, but the Tweed, Blackface, and Jazz models sound great considering they are coming from an old cheap modeling amp. I still play mine from time to time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Washburn W423 bridge pickups are killer for good, 'ol rowdy rock and roll. I put them in two cheap SGs and turned some pretty dull-sounding guitars into real scorchers. They go for maybe $15 on eBay when they're for sale. I just got an Epi Les Paul Junior and one's going into it this weekend. I only use the bridge pickup so the Jr. looks like it'll be one of my go-to guitars as it feels great in hand. The W623s are good, too, but they're a touch cleaner. My ohm meter says that they should sound hotter than the 423s but the 423s scream a bit more.

Some folks dump an Peavey speakers but I got a Blue Marvel and a Sheffield, both like new, for $35 and put them into a really ghetto home-made floor monitor box and they sound great.

About monitor cabs:
Those half trapezoid shaped boxes with smallish ports cut into the sides or back sound great. I have gone through quite a few cabs in the last few years and they sound way better than the regular squared off guitar cabs, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, a Crate Powerblock sounds freakin' awesome when combined with a tube preamp.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Apr 19, 2013,
Quote by MrFlibble
the newer Variax guitars

Like I mentioned before, someone told me it was confirmed that the modeling in the old and new variaxes are the same.
The only changes currently are the acoustic models, and the fact that you can alt tune 12 string models.

I've heard that the Variax 1 piezo pickups are actually kind of shit compared to, say a Graphtech Ghost set , so that could be a big role in the sound of the guitar. Might be the physical guitar itself, though people say piezos take the guitar body/material less into account than mags, though that might be bullshit too since piezos pick up sound via sensing physical vibration.
Quote by Cathbard
Unless you play loud.

I was pleasantly surprised by my Livingstone (an Aldi brand) overdrive pedal. It was dirt cheap ($20 iirc) and I bought it for the enclosure. However it sounds like a Boss SD1 so I left it alone and just used it.

yep, I had a gfs alnico ii pro in the neck then went to a ducnan, only difference, the duncnan doesn't scream at me at louder levels, other than that. they sound exactlyyyyy the same
My Fender Classic Player Strat slays American Standards despite being Mexican made.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Digitech Bad Monkey. Considering I got mine brand new for $30, plus it's name is "Bad Monkey", which is so dumb, its sound is pretty good.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I like the Krank Chadwick and 1980 and the rev 4x12. But the name Krank is pretty cheesy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got an Agile al-3100 as a present and I was expecting an Epiphone Les Paul standard but what I got was much, much more. This thing is an absolute beast and it definitely rivals my MIA tele in terms of tone and reliability. I haven't even fealt the urge to get new pickups. The stock ones are voiced perfectly for how I play in my band and they're quite articulate.

My Peavey VK was a great great amp. much more than what you think a starter tube amp should sound like (as its often categorized). The dirty channel reminded me of a darker JCM 800 and the clean was a huge booming clean channel that never put itself into overdrive without a pedal
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
The Joyo Voodoo Octave really surprised me. I really thought it was gonna have a crappy casing but it's sturdy enough and it's on my gigging rig beside my Marshall Shred Master. The octave is not that good though, but the Fuzz sounds great, the jacks are firm, the knobs and switches are very consistent too. And the battery spot is easy to reach lol! Surprised me alright, probably I'll soon buy more from them.
Page 1 of 2