Hey!

I heard that it is good to record yourself practicing, so thats what i want to do. I, however, am a complete newbie when it comes to technical stuff, but im guessin to get the best sound is to plug the guitar into the pc, right?

What do i need to get for this, and what stuff do you guys recommend (budget stuff is well enough for me)

Thanks!
You can just plug it in the mic in, but it will be totally clean dry sound. If you download some kind of Amp sim program you'll have all the effects you ever need. For free you can get GR5 demo and Reaper to record, all great tone recording for free.

you just need a cable and a 1/8th inch converter jack or buy an interface
Last edited by Tempoe at Apr 17, 2013,
The best way to do this is to go to the recordings forum and read the Interfaces sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If your computer has like a built in mic and you don't care about good quality you can get Audacity for free, it's a really good program for what it is and for all you need to do
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by Doomball
Hey!

I heard that it is good to record yourself practicing, so thats what i want to do. I, however, am a complete newbie when it comes to technical stuff, but im guessin to get the best sound is to plug the guitar into the pc, right?

What do i need to get for this, and what stuff do you guys recommend (budget stuff is well enough for me)

Thanks!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282549
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by M_16A
If your computer has like a built in mic and you don't care about good quality you can get Audacity for free, it's a really good program for what it is and for all you need to do

Terrible advice in every way.

A computer's built in mic is poor quality and designed for webchats etc, not recording - and there have actually been reports of using the mic input to record causing damage to the PC.

Audacity is generally considered the worst possible option for recording and most people don't even classify it as a proper DAW.

TS - In the resources thread linked by Guitarbaddie, you need to read the Interfaces sticky I mentioned earlier. This one:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Terrible advice in every way.

A computer's built in mic is poor quality and designed for webchats etc, not recording - and there have actually been reports of using the mic input to record causing damage to the PC.

Audacity is generally considered the worst possible option for recording and most people don't even classify it as a proper DAW.

TS - In the resources thread linked by Guitarbaddie, you need to read the Interfaces sticky I mentioned earlier. This one:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771

Did you not read what he wanted? he's only recording himself practicing, not a live gig. I'm assuming he'll be at room volume, and he's not making a album so does it matter? I didn't even say it's a DAW.
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by M_16A
Did you not read what he wanted? he's only recording himself practicing, not a live gig. I'm assuming he'll be at room volume, and he's not making a album so does it matter? I didn't even say it's a DAW.

Did you not read what I said? It was all fact.

Do you believe it's a better idea to recommend people use a method which is proven to be unreliable, sounds terrible if you can get it to work and which may cause damage to your PC?

Personally I think it's a far better idea to advise people to go to the correct forum to discuss recording, which has a sticky providing useful information for people on all budgets. The cheapest interface mentioned can be purchased for as little as £10.

If you really think using a potentially damaging solution is a better idea, then that's up to you, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
To be fair Audacity isn't bad for recording. It's bad for multitrack recording because of latency problems between tracks. But just to record a track and perform some simple editing and level adjusting, it's a very easy to use free app.
Quote by fly135
To be fair Audacity isn't bad for recording. It's bad for multitrack recording because of latency problems between tracks. But just to record a track and perform some simple editing and level adjusting, it's a very easy to use free app.

Yeah, I was more commenting on the interface side of things, but at the end of the day with software better options are better options.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud