So I want to get serious with my recordings and looking to get one of the two of these because of their amazing sound and versatility. I was wondering which one would be better for home recording. I know the Axe fx is capable of it but I was wondering if with the Kemper do you have to profile all of your tones or can you get a hold of them online somewhere? And can both be played at room volumes?

Also to play through my 4x12, do I need a power amp for both of these?
thanks for any help!
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Kemper profiles can be downloaded for free. The Kemper PowerRack is a Kemper with a power amp inside it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProfilePwrRk

I don't know if the Kemper can record over USB.

I remember reading one of the cons of the Axe-Fx is that you can't record over USB. Meaning you'll need extra equipment.

Someone else can fill you in.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The Axe FX II has a USB interface, so I assume you can record through it... the Axe FX Standard and Ultra however do not, so you'll need either MIDI or MIDI to USB conversion boxes.

The Kemper would probably be a better solution for home recording, the whole Axe FX frenzy is unfounded in my opinion... but whatever. Owned one, sold it, bought another, sold it, don't plan to go around a third time.

Anyways, take a look at the Eleven Rack too, they're dirt cheap now, $500 or so and provide really high quality tone, even through USB directly into your PC. Recording in Pro Tools or Reaper, whatever is easy.

Good luck and have fun!
I have an 11r and love it. Just waiting to sell a few things on eBay and get the expansion pack for it, nomnomnom.

Saying that I wouldn't say no to either the AxeFX or Kemper. I'm not sure on how they are for recording direct, however. With the eleven rack it's a breeze.
The Kemper is great if you want to set up a full studio. If you're a gigging musician and want studio versatility i'd get the Axe FX 2 (It has USB for recording) if not you'll have to use the line out going into an Audio Interface.

With the Axe FX 2 you would need a power amp if you wanted to run it with a cab, you can get a small one off Thomann website pretty cheap. If for live you don't want a cab you can just run it into the PA without a power amp. It'll work fine at low volumes if you're running at low volumes through monitors, since it won't crank the same way as a tube amp will. However it sounds pretty sweet, you really can't tell the difference between Axe FX and the tube amps it is modeling.
Last edited by AJScott at Apr 17, 2013,
Quote by ABWFProductions
I have an 11r and love it. Just waiting to sell a few things on eBay and get the expansion pack for it, nomnomnom.

Saying that I wouldn't say no to either the AxeFX or Kemper. I'm not sure on how they are for recording direct, however. With the eleven rack it's a breeze.

The expansion pack is totally worth the $100... you'll love it when you get it, if just for the parametric EQ.

But yeah, for home recording I argue the Eleven Rack is by the best deal available currently. Worth every penny.
Quote by 6505fiz
The expansion pack is totally worth the $100... you'll love it when you get it, if just for the parametric EQ.

But yeah, for home recording I argue the Eleven Rack is by the best deal available currently. Worth every penny.

I'm really looking forward to the Bogner XTC model. Can't wait to take that for a ride.

Just need to sell my LTD EC-50 and my Akai Miniak since neither get used anymore. Also need to sell that one random Seymour Duncan pickup I have.
Kemper does not record via USB, just to let you know. It is similar to the Axe Standard/Ultra in that respect.

Matrixclaw will say Kemper, I will say Axe Fx II. I say so because the Axe II has lots of useful effects, even for vocal tracking! I have both though, so I'm not really biased. I like both, and they both sound great, but if you're going to spend that much money, you really have to try both. I mean, what if you pick the Kemper, and down the line you hear something great out of the Axe II, and all you had to do was spend an extra $200 or so?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Yeah me personally I was leaning towards the Axe Fx II, I think more because I've wanted one for a long time :P

I guess my biggest question still if I could play it at room volume but still sound like it's being cranked.
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Axe FX has awesome effects in it, but the modeling still isn't as good as the Kemper. For recording, the Kemper is the clear winner IMO, for live use, the Axe has an edge. If you don't like playing with knobs for hours, don't even bother getting the Axe. The Kemper's profiles are indistinguishable from the real amp if done right. The Axe's profiles all still sound like an Axe FX modeling an amp. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not for me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by M_16A
Yeah me personally I was leaning towards the Axe Fx II, I think more because I've wanted one for a long time :P

I guess my biggest question still if I could play it at room volume but still sound like it's being cranked.

Doesn't make any difference technically... the Axe, Kemper, Eleven Rack are all digital emulations of real amplifiers. So, be the volume at 0.5 or 10, it's all solid state electronics pushing electrons.

Now then, if you run any of those devices through a tube amplifier into a cab, then yes, volume will make a difference, but if you run them through a set powered monitors or a pa system, it won't matter.
Quote by 6505fiz
Doesn't make any difference technically... the Axe, Kemper, Eleven Rack are all digital emulations of real amplifiers. So, be the volume at 0.5 or 10, it's all solid state electronics pushing electrons.

Now then, if you run any of those devices through a tube amplifier into a cab, then yes, volume will make a difference, but if you run them through a set powered monitors or a pa system, it won't matter.

You still have to dial them in at what volume you will be playing. You can dial in a great cranked up sound with your studio monitors or at bedroom levels, but it does not translate when you crank it up, just like a real amp. Some compensation is needed, but I find the global EQ's are enough for that.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Get both! They both are amazing.

I'm not hugely into crazy effects and routing options, so the Kemper was the easy choice for me. When I bought mine, it was $600 (+tax) cheaper than the AxeFX II.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Reincaster
You still have to dial them in at what volume you will be playing. You can dial in a great cranked up sound with your studio monitors or at bedroom levels, but it does not translate when you crank it up, just like a real amp. Some compensation is needed, but I find the global EQ's are enough for that.

Oh well sure... but there you're just dealing with audio in general, has nothing to do with the platforms, or should I say, anything specific to the platform.

...if he were however asking about using a hiwatt DR201 or something in his bedroom, THAT would provide a much more difficult objective.
anyone know if the kemper records will d. i. well for recording?

bit of a downer if you get a great tone then cant record it well.
Last edited by Lucky-Luciano at Apr 18, 2013,
Quote by Lucky-Luciano
anyone know if the kemper records will d. i. well for recording?

bit of a downer if you get a great tone then cant record it well.

DI what well??

Just run the S/PDIF in/out to your interface and you're in business. Makes reamps crazy easy, just track DI into your interface then send the signal to the Kemper via the S/PDIF and hit record. No reamp box needed
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just got myself a Kemper, this thing sounds amazing. The great thing about the Kemper is repository of user created profiles on their site. Every day is like christmas with new amps to try out Been using it for recording (analog out into an apogee duet) and the results are very promising. I've tried just about every plugin in out there, this thing smokes them all.
Quote by M_16A
So I want to get serious with my recordings and looking to get one of the two of these because of their amazing sound and versatility. I was wondering which one would be better for home recording. I know the Axe fx is capable of it but I was wondering if with the Kemper do you have to profile all of your tones or can you get a hold of them online somewhere? And can both be played at room volumes?

Also to play through my 4x12, do I need a power amp for both of these?
thanks for any help!

The Kempers come with 200 factory presets according to their website, in addition to the user library. No reason you can't play any amp at "room volumes." Being a modeler you should have the same result at high or low volume, only difference being power tube saturation if you're using thru a tube power amp and the oomph from speakers pushing air. The Power Rack and Power Head include built in 600W (8ohm) power amps.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
i think overall versatility axe fx wins, but in terms of sounding the most like a true tube amp with the best modeling, kemper is the better amp.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)