Hey there guys and gals-

I'm doing a pickup swap for a friend of mine. He has a Jackson HSS Dinky and likes DiMarzio pickups. I'm just not as familiar with different pickup combinations as I am with other things.. so I'd like your opinions on what models are popular and go well with each other.

He likes to play a variety of styles, but I'd say mostly classic & modern rock. He doesn't need anything to cover the extremes (high gain/metal or crystal clean, country, etc.), just a good all-around passive set. Like I said, he prefers DiMarzio but let me know if there are other great options also--we can't go with just anything though, I'm ordering them thru the shop I work at for discount, so it has to be a manufacturer we deal or have a vendor for.

tl;dr
Which Dimarzio pickups go well with each other in a HSS Jackson for classic & modern rock?

Thanks for your help
What amp? What guitar woods?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I just screwed around with the DiMarzio pickup picker:

You may want to look into a Transition Bridge (B) / Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 (M) / Injectior Neck (N) combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I just screwed around with the DiMarzio pickup picker:

You may want to look into a Transition Bridge (B) / Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 (M) / Injectior Neck (N) combo.

Cool, didn't see that tool. That does look like a pretty balanced 3.
The 35th Aniversary PAFs should work good. I think their modeled after the pickups on either a 59 or 57 Les Paul, so they would be good for classic rock. And their what comes standard on a Kurt Cobain Signature series Jaguar, so they can definitely handle modern rock (or almost anything you throw at them).
For what it's worth I have a basswood body guitar and play through a blues jr...

Been using a Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 for middle position and loving every second. I find it does a great clean jazzy/acoustic ish tone as well as some good biting mid gain stuff.

Also, my bridge pickup of choice is an older dimarzio FRED... a solid choice for sure, not stupid high output or anything. Great rock tones all around, also coil splits nicely without sounding thin or anything.
DiMarzio don't really make good "all-round" pickups. DiMarzio's pickups are very much problem solvers; compensate for this, get rid of that, add more of this, etc.

Seymour Duncan don't make many pickups that can compensate and really rebalance an uneven tone balance or response, but they do make very good pickups for reinforcing your 'core' sound. If all-rounders are what you want, SD are your brand.

I would question why your friend likes DiMarzio so much, if they can't pick a set of pickups for themselves. That sounds to me like blind brand loyalty just for the sake of it.

HSS, basswood and a Blues Junior for classic and standard modern rock makes me think SD Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck, if the guitar is a fixed bridge model, or a Custom 5 and Pearly Gates if it is a vibrato model. The only DiMarzios I would even vaguely consider for that combination and need would be a Tone Zone in the bridge, if very huge output is needed (which it doesn't sound like it is) and the PAF Pro (which is a more modern-sounding, 'shreddy' version of a '59 design).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'd disagree there as the Norton is certainly a good all-rounder, as is the Breed although that emphasis on the lower mids can be a bit much in mahogany it should be fine in basswood, both those would work well in this situation.

certainly those are the exception rather than the rule though and like you I find Dimarzios tend to be a lot more focussed in terms of what they'll be good for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
All Dimarzio: Super Distortion bridge. Fast Track 1 Middle. Pro Track or Air Norton S Neck
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Call Dimarzio. They're really cool on the phone. The guy who I spoke with also told me that they were made in the USA, too. Amazing, huh?

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.