Page 1 of 2
I'm not sure what to make of this.

I know the whole process of cold reading, I know about that guy who has challenged psychics to prove their skills to win a million dollars, I know about confirmation bias.

I wasn't there, so I didn't hear the conversation, but I was told a bit of what happened. It was over the phone, so the woman wasn't in the house or anything.

At one point she said she was getting the name of someone named John (which sounded a LOT like cold reading) which my mom couldn't make much a connection with, except for an old neighbour, as well as a dog that looked like a Spaniel (again, cold reading, a Cocker Spaniel is a generic medium sized dog) and we did have a Gordon Setter, which is a medium sized dog. She also mentioned quite a few things about my dad, and some random statements which seem very...vague, which may apply to anyone, really.

She also mentioned she saw a woman with hunched back, and my mom said my grandmother had a hunched back in her last few years. Aside from some other things here and there, she told my mom that her life would get better in November. They talked for an hour-ish, and at the end that medium lady recommend that she should meet this guy who does healing.

Later, my mom tells me that both of this medium and this healer have a workshop. (Aye, right!)

Now, I got no idea how much my mom paid for that, I dunno if she'd consider going to this healer dude because she has neuropathy, for which there is no treatment, but I'm wondering whether I should support this or not. Maybe a placebo effect will take place?

I consider my mom as intelligent, but I feel that this sort of stuff makes her emotional feelings override her logical thoughts. I needed to keep a straight face when she told me that stuff.

On one hand, it gives her hope, it lifts her mood, she feels more positive. On the other hand, I kind feel like it's a piss take. I'd love to teach her about cold reading and how many of these people use tricks, but I'd feel bad crushing this reality for her.

What's your take on this? Anyone had people do readings on you or people you know?

She even told me I should have her do a reading on me, which I really don't want, but on the other hand I'm curious to see what methods she'd use.

Tl;dr mom talked to a psychic, I feel like it's a piss take, but it makes my mom feel better. Do/say something, just let it be?

ON THAT NOTE: What would be a test to figure out if these psychic people are fake or not?
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Apr 17, 2013,
One-up her. Go talk to a Large.

EDIT: Let it be. If it makes her happy, why stop it?
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Pay attention to what's going on to make sure she's not being taken advantage of, but otherwise leave her be.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
its the same with any belief. If it makes someone happy is it really that bad? we all know its twaddle, but if it gives someone happiness then why not let them ride on that.

It only becomes bad when it leads to it turning that person in to anabsolute **** who wants to preach all the time and wants to burn all those who dont believe in what they do.

but thats a story for the religion thread.

Unless they tell her shes got a serious made up illness and the 'healer' will be able to cure her for $100 a session for 12 weeks, I'd let your mum go do what she will with it if. if she doesnt mind spending her money on it and it makes her happy, whats the problem.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
It's her money, let her do whatever she wants to with it. All you can do is give your honest input on the situation.

Though if you're concerned, you could always try telling her her money would be better spent on meditation a butt load of alcohol.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
you should find out how much they are charging her, then dress like a queer and undercut their prices in your own super legit business
I bought mushrooms once and I swear I was a medium for like 5 minutes, but the "spirits" that were trapped were just in the TV.
you're never as free as when you are lost
My mum is in to all this hippy crap as well. You don't need to prove they're fake, everyone already knows they are.

Basically I leave her to it until I see it being a problem, at which point I have a word. Last time I did it was because she said something like "Hopefully my higher power (ikr?) helps me with blah blah". So I said "Mum, you're a grown ass woman and can do this on your own. You don't need anyone else's help, you need to go get it done".
Quote by Wolfinator-x
One-up her. Go talk to a Large.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I'm gonna disagree with everyone and say that it'd be better to try to show her the logic of why it's wrong. It's not fruitful to believe in comforting bullshit, better to be disillusioned. how can you progress as a person if you depend on false realities?

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I'm gonna disagree with everyone and say that it'd be better to try to show her the logic of why it's wrong. It's not fruitful to believe in comforting bullshit, better to be disillusioned. how can you progress as a person if you depend on false realities?
You're saying betterment is superior to bliss.

Just saying.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
You're saying betterment is superior to bliss.

Just saying.

Is that somehow wrong?

Step 1: Realize your mom is an idiot and you can't fix her.
Step 2: Ignore eccentricities and stupid behavior until you move out.

Seriously though, you aren't going to change her. Just forget about it. And yes, you can prove that they're fake. Give them false information and watch them run with it. They won't know you're lying. Not psychic.
Mediums can provide closure to some people that might be missing their loved ones but that's about their net worth.

On the one hand, it can be helpful to someone grieving but on the other, it's taking advantage of someone who might be vulnerable and not thinking too clearly about things.

If you're mom is grieving or in need of some closure, talk to her about it and give her a hug. For free.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Have a look at whatstheharm.net/psychics.html
Then say 'leave her be with her psychic, whats the harm?'
Death, poverty, often both and heartache are the harms.
These people are blatant swindlers and have no shame in taking your moms money in exchange for their lies.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere

This. Do it Houdini style and go along with her to a meeting with the medium and when he/she starts up the cold reading shit start going along with it(start making up imaginary relatives and shit) and see how caught up in a lie you can get him/her before your mom realizes that this person is a liar and a manipulator trying to get her money.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Last edited by HypernovaGlow at Sep 23, 2013,
Quote by willT08

Basically I leave her to it until I see it being a problem, at which point I have a word. Last time I did it was because she said something like "Hopefully my higher power (ikr?) helps me with blah blah". So I said "Mum, you're a grown ass woman and can do this on your own. You don't need anyone else's help, you need to go get it done".

Yeah exactly this. I don't think it matters when she has the time and money for it, but when she was considering stuff like missing 2 weeks of work (for which she could get fired) or something that could be fixed with non-spiritual methods (when I fractured my neck, when she wanted to apply for a different job, etc) I try to talk to her about it.

But if it makes her happy and it isn't negatively affecting other parts of her life it doesn't matter.
cat
Quote by captainsnazz
Note to necrobumpers: if you're going to necrobump a thread, at least pick one that wasn't one of philip's.

Oh, shit. I didn't even realize this thread was so old. Bumpers got me.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Leave her be. Unless she's trying to be happy in a government building requiring identification. The law > her happiness.
****in hate these phony psychic douchebags. Guys like John Edwards or whatever who just straight up lie to people about their dead relatives. Making money selling false emotional closure. Pretty low.
Psychics are ****ed.

They take people who are in vulnerable positions, like your mom, who have huge hopes for their health or health of loved ones, or maybe emotional closure of some other event, for and take total advantage of it for monetary gain. God damn scum. Worthless pieces of ****ing shit.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I'd say leave her be so long as she isn't being charged large amounts of money.

Edit: Just noticed that this has been necro'd.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Sep 23, 2013,
I do have a 100% accurate test for psychics/mediums/etc. Just send a check or money order for $499.99 to:

PO Box 42374
Brentwood, CA 90073
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez

That's an awesome accent. Aussie Geordie.

I may believe in some people's ability to do this, but I don't believe that most people who say they can do it can actually do it.

99% are fraudulent cunts. Unless she's specific and doesn't make a load of vague statements I'd stop seeing the fraud.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 23, 2013,
Ok, I'm an atheist. Or at least, more atheist than anything else. If one says 99% are all fraudulent, how are we to know that there is a 1% that IS legit?

I'd love to believe that something like that exists, but so far, it's all a load of shite. In the end, whenever people tell me something to turns out to be true, I can always explain it with confirmation bias.
If you accept that 99% are false then you have to accept that 1% are real. One cant exist without the other.

An atheist can still believe in an afterlife. I don't believe in God but I'm open to the possibility that the mind and body are separate entities and might be able to exist on different levels with or without each other. I don't think it's likely, but I find Dualism interesting.

On a side note, Every atheist should be open to the 0.0001% chance that there might be a creator, otherwise they're stupid, especially the ones who claim to follow the laws of science.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Sep 23, 2013,
Quote by Philip_pepper
Ok, I'm an atheist. Or at least, more atheist than anything else. If one says 99% are all fraudulent, how are we to know that there is a 1% that IS legit?

I'd love to believe that something like that exists, but so far, it's all a load of shite. In the end, whenever people tell me something to turns out to be true, I can always explain it with confirmation bias.

I think they are all frauds and fakes.

My mom believes in crystals predicting the future.
I think she's nuts.
Quote by CodeMonk

I think she's nuts.

When you ask them to predict anything worthwhile 'it doesn't work like that!'

Quote by CodeMonk

I think she's nuts.

Another thing: why do women seem to go crazy over this kind of shit? I've never heard a man say "You know, I went to a psychic once, and I was told..."

I mean seriously. Not a single time have I even heard men talking about it themselves. It's like a taboo. Women though? Holy shit. Crystals, clairvoyance, talking to the dead, "I have magical healing powers!!", etc.

I only know one guy who claimed to have been a psychic. And he was flamingly gay.
If it makes your mom feel better, it's working. How many things do you know that truly make your mother feel better or give her some kind of reassurance? It's basically like therapy without having to commit yourself.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Page 1 of 2