Page 1 of 2
Unreal T
4,506 IQ
If you were in a successful band and making a decent living...would you be happy with that?

Or would you feel it does not contribute anything to society in a meaningful way and that you are just really nothing in life.
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,765 IQ
well the second half is exactly where i'm at now

so i'd actually be giving more to the world by being a successful musician
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,828 IQ
If you're making a decent living, why would you be anything other than a musician? Unless you'll be making more than a decent living with another job or interested in something else.
Quote by Unreal T
Or would you feel it does not contribute anything to society in a meaningful way and that you are just really nothing in life.
Lots of people hate their jobs, but when you're a successful musician making a decent living, you have no reason to hate your job. If that's how you would feel, it would just be better to deal with it. Or look for something else.

Also, my grandmother divorced my real grandfather over being a musician, so I guess that could be a problem as well. I say real because I never got to know him. When he was a child, my father barely even knew him, if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Apr 18, 2013,
supersac
Tab Contributor
650 IQ
Quote by Joshua Garcia

Also, my grandmother divorced my real grandfather over being a musician

i doubt it was JUST the musician thing

OPif i could afford to live off m music id probably do other things as well unless i burn myself out on music
and i have many interersts that id rather not drop
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,828 IQ
Quote by supersac
i doubt it was JUST the musician thing

No, I know. But from what I understand, it was the thing that drew the last straw. He was always giging, so he was never home. Like, hardly ever. Eventually she got fed up with it and left him.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
FicticiousCacti
Has a big cactus
101 IQ
It's something I think about quite often. Making a living playing music is my dream, but I'm not sure I could handle being away from my girlfriend and family for months at a time. I dunno.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
I would definitely be happy with that. Doing what you love to do for money and then getting to do other things you love to do not for money. As opposed to people who do what they don't want for money, so they can do what they do want not for money. There's no reason not to be happy about it.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
strait jacket
cuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcunt
177 IQ
Entertainers DO contribute to society, can you imagine a world without entertainment and art?
musician all the way.
flaphead325
Sr Bartolomew Shredman IV
1,215 IQ
Entertaining people is good, but the only thing that would bother be being a musician is how to save money for my retirement or health fund
King Donkey
yes
777 IQ
Yes it's one of two dream jobs that I'd be happy with. The other one is being a professional footballer.
West Ham United
Twist of fate
We Came as Romans
1,963 IQ
Quote by flaphead325
Entertaining people is good, but the only thing that would bother be being a musician is how to save money for my retirement or health fund

I would go to Ashton Kutcher route. I saw him on MTV cribs a few years back and the dude lived in a tiny ass house.

As a band we'd probably buy an average house together and live there off what we need and drive normal cars because lesbehonest we're a band not a billion dollar pop act.
strait jacket
cuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcunt
177 IQ
Quote by King Donkey
Yes it's one of two dream jobs that I'd be happy with. The other one is being a professional footballer.

I have horrible feeling you're not talking about afl...
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison
329 IQ
If you're making a living off music then all of this is happening: venues would be making money with your act, roadies will have their jobs traveling with you, musicians in your band - hired guns or not - will have the gigs. And most importantly, people are entertained/appreciative of your art. Keep the culture alive.

Can't say you're not contributing at least something.

Quote by flaphead325

By making a decent living, you should be able to do this.
We're all alright!
girlgerms007
mostly harmless
133 IQ
would a musician who is not getting paid for his music be contributing less to society than one who is?
What does a 'meaningful way' mean?
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,340 IQ
you know how many people listen to music while they work? a guy from mali told me when they work they do it in song. it sets a pace for work that can help production. i think this is innately human thing. all the time i see people listen to music when they work, read, watch TV, ****, drive. you name it. you're contributing a lot to society as a musician. even if it's just to others' leisurely activities. that's a worthwhile pursuit to provide entertainment to people when they're done working.

i used to make all my income from music, but now i'd say i'm "semi-professional" as i have a day job.
#DTWD
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison
329 IQ
Quote by girlgerms007
would a musician who is not getting paid for his music be contributing less to society than one who is?
What does a 'meaningful way' mean?

No. But we are talking about being successful, making a living, and asking is it contribution enough? Making a living means to do business. If you can do that you know you're doing something right and it impacts others. And despite that, would you accept that a local business owner contributes less than Apple or McDonalds?

A "meaningful way" is real open-ended. You can think you're doing something meaningful because some YouTube comments are thanking you for this hit song and how it gets them through the day. Meaningful could mean you're happy and your skill will be revered in the future editions of Tonal Harmony long after you see the pearly gates.

But I think what TS means is that while all these engineers, military personal, donors, and scientists are trying to solve the world's problems, are musicians doing just as much when strumming guitars to angry teens?
We're all alright!
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,563 IQ
Quote by Joshua Garcia
No, I know. But from what I understand, it was the thing that drew the last straw. He was always giging, so he was never home. Like, hardly ever. Eventually she got fed up with it and left him.

Out past midnight blowing reefers and doing the Charleston with those flapper girl hussies every night, huh?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Wolfinator-x
Teeth
1,337 IQ
I am absolutely certain touring would not be my main priority. If I were in a successful band I'd still want to compose for video games and what not and I'd most likely go into ghostwriting as well.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.
Artists I'm listening to a lot lately:
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Zordon
299 IQ
I believe that being a musician does contribute to the society, as music gives people energy and emotions.
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
No job you're likely to do is going to contribute to society in any meaningful way. However, being a musician isn't a real job.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Unreal T
4,506 IQ
Well, I think the conclusion is....being a musician can in a way contribute to society in a unique way...but it is not a real job.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,267 IQ
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be happy enough doing that. I have the misfortune of having too many interests and not being happy unless I can do more than one of them.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
tiky
739 IQ
I would give my left nut for 3.000 USD income month for 2-3 years as a musician
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
ron666
226 IQ
I think that a musician does contribute to society. What is life without culture? what about other forms of culture, such as professional sports? Do they contribute anything to society?

Music impacts people's lives in all sorts of beneficial ways. My mother is in a Nursing Home right now. She sits and has nothing to do all day long. But when I bring in a music DVD for her to watch and listen to, she lights right up. So do all the other residents. Without music, these people would probably lie in bed 24/7.

And this does not include all the economic spin offs, such as agents, tour organizers, promoters, roadies, T-shirt sales, etc. There are a lot of economic spin offs to music, in addition to all the emotional benefits.

ron666
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison
329 IQ
I'm curious as to why people are of the opinion being a musician is not a real job.
We're all alright!
British_Steal
UG Member
1,623 IQ
It is a real job, but realistically there are more important jobs in society. TS is asking if its better to pursue one of those.

Jobs like Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Scientists etc etc. are more important to the functioning of society than music. Its not bad or good it just simply is that way.

Thats why all those jobs generally pay much better and are more plentiful than music jobs.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at May 22, 2013,
Rockford_rocks
Z -> v -> ^+A
1,316 IQ
Yes? Why would you not? Job that pays decently (or you could become filthy rich), you get to develop a trademark and a following and your product is 100% based off of your own creativity. You get to hire people who you like to do work for you while on the road, and while on the road you just get to hang out and have a good time with your bandmates.

The hardest part of your job would be pressure to put out more music and getting tired of being on the road.
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,138 IQ
Quote by Todd Hart
No job you're likely to do is going to contribute to society in any meaningful way. However, being a musician isn't a real job.

this.

become an accountant or something
i don't know why i feel so dry
E7#9
Registered missle cruiser
183 IQ
I recently made the decision of no longer pursuing a music career. I realized that there are certain things about being a fulltime musician that erk me like:

1. Being dirt poor [unless you are of course extremely lucky]
2. Your livelihood is 100% dependant on what you create. You can't take a break from it, can't take the time to make sure anything is good, you have to shovel out music to keep yourself afloat. Also not to mention you are basically forced to write what other people want; if you hope to sustain yourself by only writing for yourself and your own pleasure, i hope you like being homeless or poor.
3. A career musician isn't the best candidate for a long term relationship, family, etc.
4. Did I mention being dirt poor?

That's not to say that creating music can't be done as a hobby. It's really difficult making a living off music. If I did, it would turn music into a business and possibly suck all the fun out of it.
triface
Drenched in Syrup
1,302 IQ
If I could live off of music, I probably would until I burned out (which will definitely happen at some point). I wouldn't concern myself about my contributions to society at all. As said before, if people are enjoying my music, then I've contributed to society. I've enriched somebody's life with my music.
Ssargentslayer
Registered Abuser
793 IQ
I dunno, i work in science and to me its more fulfilling than playing music. Its a lot more work but you actually feel like you're getting something done, which we know is the entire purpose of the human race. Or so it seems
ErikLensherr
ENDHATE
1,684 IQ
Musicians can contribute to society, but not through their music. Because music is a pretty frivolous thing. But for example Bono spreading awareness of genocide in Darfur or whatever that was. It's contribution that comes from being a prominent person with a bully pulpit. If I was an average musician with no fame and no influence, no I wouldn't be happy.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
That you are capable of nocturnal slumber evinces a conscientious mollifying of which you refuse to confess following Rwanda. You morality: questionable. Your candidate: crooked.
King Donkey
yes
777 IQ
Quote by strait jacket
I have horrible feeling you're not talking about afl...

I'm not even Australian.
West Ham United
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper
1,621 IQ
Quote by strait jacket
Entertainers DO contribute to society, can you imagine a world without entertainment and art?
musician all the way.

I hate when people do this but..

/thread
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
883 IQ
Quote by Unreal T
If you were in a successful band and making a decent living...would you be happy with that?

Oddly phrased question. Why would you pursue something that you felt had no bearing on society or impacted anyone's life for the better?

Like if you make music that people like and listen to and are willing to go out of their way to hear... Then aren't you contributing to society?

I mean to put it in other terms. Say you're a guy who makes whos-a-whats-it's. Sure there are many other people who make whos-a-whats-it's. Probably a lot who do it better and make a lot of money from selling their whos-awhats-it's. But if the ones you make and sell are of a quality and color and certain aesthetic that people are willing to pay money for and you can support yourself with it and people come up to you on the street and say "Hey, you're that guy that makes those whos-a-whats-it's. Thanks so much, man I love your work." How can you say you're not contributing to society when your product has impacted people's lives for the better?

If you're successful at something and you still feel you aren't contributing positively to anything... Then stop? I guess find something else that makes you feel fulfilled in life. Normally people find justification for music through the reactions of others.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
sage76
360 IQ
Of course I'd rather make a decent living from being a musician. No contest. Law/accounting/IT etc are terribly boring professions.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
donender
Get back to work
2,047 IQ
Quote by Mathedes
If you're making a living off music then all of this is happening: venues would be making money with your act, roadies will have their jobs traveling with you, musicians in your band - hired guns or not - will have the gigs. And most importantly, people are entertained/appreciative of your art. Keep the culture alive.

Can't say you're not contributing at least something.

This. Plus, some die hard fans might fly internationally as well, so you are contributing to tourism to a small extent too. If it was true that musicians contribute nothing to society, the same thing could be said for many other entertainers.

But to answer the question, yeah i would like to be a successful musician rather than having some kind of day job.

*Edited to make a bit more sense.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at May 23, 2013,
ErikLensherr
ENDHATE
1,684 IQ
Quote by sage76
Of course I'd rather make a decent living from being a musician. No contest. Law/accounting/IT etc are terribly boring professions.

Depends on what kind of law we're talking.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
That you are capable of nocturnal slumber evinces a conscientious mollifying of which you refuse to confess following Rwanda. You morality: questionable. Your candidate: crooked.