<<EDIT: by recommendation of someone who posted in this thread, I posted a link to the 442nd on Wikipedia. Yes it's only Wikipedia, but it's easy to find info on them online.
Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States))
Hell, in our city newspaper, the Honolulu Star Advertiser, they freakin' talk about them all the time>>

Have you heard of the 442nd regiment in World War 2?
It was composed of Japanese-Americans (and a couple of Korean Americans) who went to fight in Europe against the Germans, and the 442nd became the most decorated unit in the history of the American army.

It's members were awarded 21 Medals of Honor, among other awards. Remember it was only a regiment. You're lucky if you get 1 Medal of Honor awarded to a Division, yet this was a regiment with 21 Medals of Honor!!

What makes the members of the 442nd special, is that most of their family members were in internment camps back in the U.S.
So despite being persecuted in their own country, they fought with great courage and honor. To me, I think part of the reason they took so many chances was because they wanted to prove their loyalty to their country, but that's just my opinion.
Here in Hawaii where some of the surviving member of the 442nd still live, in our newspaper, we are constantly reminded of the sacrifices they made.

I'm surprised that a major motion picture hasn't been made about the 442nd because it's such an amazing story.

Have you heard about their story?
Last edited by mattmakaha at Apr 20, 2013,
they weren't white so no one cares
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Have you heard of the Muffin Man?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by TunerAddict

Regular Show > Adventure Time. That's right. I said it.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Last edited by metal4eva_22 at Apr 20, 2013,
Quote by TunerAddict

What does that have to do with getting 21 Medals of Honors?
Quote by willT08
Ain't got shit on EZ Company

Dude, I love Band of Brothers as much as anybody.

I have the DVD set, I watched it 4 times all the way through.

I bought the Stephen Ambrose book. I also bought Maj. Dick Winters follow up book/memoirs.

But dude, it's no contest!!

Easy company was part of the 506th regiment.

How many Medals of Honor did the 506th regiment get in WW2?

Yeah, I thought so....

Maj. Dick Winters got the Distinguised Cross, which is one level below the Medal of Honor.

The 442nd regiment was awarded 21 Medals of Honor dude. 21!!

Is that not freakin amazing?!?
Last edited by mattmakaha at Apr 18, 2013,
Quote by mattmakaha

1 white man medal is more than 1000 minority medals

plus there being so many medals would be seen as being a result of race rather than the actual accomplishments of the members of that regiment

'merica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by mattmakaha

Maj. Dick Winters got the Distinguised Cross, which is one level below the Medal of Honor.

Yeah but my question is do they have characters I will come to know and love?
If they were so good, why were 441 regiments ranked ahead of them?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by metal4eva_22

This is true. I'm not really a fan of either, but I can at least laugh and enjoy Regular Show from time to time.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by mattmakaha

Medals aren't amazing. If you could tell us what they got them for, apart from "they fought real good", we might be amazed.

Otherwise, I'll just go back to admirin' the Poles and Finnish.
Quote by metal4eva_22

It's funny when people have opinions that are objectively wrong.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
It's funny when people have opinions that are objectively wrong.

adventure time blows, get over it and develop some taste
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict

NO U
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by slash_GNR666
Have you heard of the Muffin Man?
The Muffin Man?
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Pink Floyd

#Ziggy2017
I haven't heard about them, no. But yeah, I'd like to hear about some of the stuff they got the medals for.

And regarding Band of Brothers, it might be because I watched The Pacific first, but I loved The Pacific a lot more than BoB.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by metal4eva_22
I really like your avatar now that it's Mordecai instead of Rikka. A bunch of people convinced me to watch Chunnibue or whatever it is

Both are ****ing gay and embraced by manchildren.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by TunerAddict
It took me 30 seconds to realize your avatar.

lel
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Pink Floyd

#Ziggy2017
Quote by mattmakaha

ever heard of "equal opportunity"???
Quote by TunerAddict
1 white man medal is more than 1000 minority medals
plus there being so many medals would be seen as being a result of race rather than the actual accomplishments of the members of that regiment

'merica

I'm sure that's just sarcasm there....

At any rate, if you look at the citations that came with the medals which was printed in the Honolulu Star Advertiser newspaper, the members of the 442nd did some crazy stuff. As I said in post #1, I think they took so many chances with their life because they wanted to prove their loyalty to their country.
Well I actually find this interesting, so I'll look into it.

I'm actually reading Band of Brothers right now. I've seen the series four or five times.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Sounds like you got a boner for the 442nd, TS.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
that's really cool, never head of these guys, will read more. Maybe put a link to wikipedia or something in the OP, might get more interesting discussion.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Mechanixx
that's really cool, never head of these guys, will read more. Maybe put a link to wikipedia or something in the OP, might get more interesting discussion.

Good idea!
Here's the link on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States))

And I also added it to the OP.
In our local newspaper--the Honolulu Star Advertiser, they talk about the 442nd a lot, maybe too much LOL!
Last edited by mattmakaha at Apr 20, 2013,
Quote by OneHappyCamper
I haven't heard about them, no. But yeah, I'd like to hear about some of the stuff they got the medals for.

And regarding Band of Brothers, it might be because I watched The Pacific first, but I loved The Pacific a lot more than BoB.

I loved both Band of Brothers and The Pacific. The Pacific had better special effects because it was produced about 8 years later.

I posted the Wikipedia link in a post above and also post #1. You can find more links at the bottom of that page.

I knew some stuff about the 442nd regiment, but after looking at the Wikipedia article, there’s some stuff that I didn’t know about, like: the 442nd fought some S.S. units in France. The other affiliated japanese-american artillery unit, the 552nd, liberated some concentration camps in Dachau. They also set up roadblocks to try to capture Nazi officials.

And I knew about the Medals of Honor, but I looked at the total medal count, it’s freakin unbelievable!!! Besides the 21 Medals of Honor, which is unbelievable in itself, they got 52 Distinguished Service Cross Medals (Maj. Dick Winters of Easy Company 506th PIR got the Distinguished Service Cross Medal for taking out the artillery guns on D-day. So imagine, the 442nd got 52 of those same Medals!)
560 Silver Stars!
4,000 Bronze stars!
And eight Presidential Unit Citations!

I mean, no other American military unit even comes close. Those are ridiculous numbers, which may never again be matched.

Oh, and after the war, the 442nd even helped Hawaii become the 50th state-- “Twice before 1959, residents of Hawaii asked to be admitted to the U.S. as the 49th state, but each time Congress was fearful of having a co-equal state that had a majority non-white population. The exemplary record of the Japanese-Americans serving in the 442nd and the loyalty showed by the rest of Hawaii's population during World War II overcame those fears and allowed Hawaii to be admitted as the 50th state”

....I don't even know what to say to that last one, LOL!
I mean has there ever been a U.S. army regiment that....helped turn a territory into a U.S. state? That's so incredible that it's....bizarre!!
Last edited by mattmakaha at Apr 21, 2013,