Page 1 of 2
I assume/know that a lot of you spend the last few months applying to programmes at a decent University. In this thread I would like to hear who got into his programmes and who had to change his ways.

For myself, I applied to the Tinbergen Institute and Frankfurt for a research master and accompanying PhD and got in with full funding at Tinbergen (after which I dropped my application for Frankfurt).

So tell me about your victories and failures (so we can support you).
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Economics. I'm leaving the world of earth sciences behind me.

Also is there no one with a succes story of their own?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Powersurge213
Full funded PhD? Major congrats man, that's hard to get these days

Full funded Research Master. The PhD is a paid position here (1700 euros per month).
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Full funded Research Master. The PhD is a paid position here (1700 euros per month).

Clogmugger
funding for my PhD studies

well, that was a wasted year.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
funding for my PhD studies

well, that was a wasted year.

Why? Did you quit? Or are you dr. TunerAddict soon?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quitting after this semester. Found that a life in academia was probably the thing I would least like.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
Quitting after this semester. Found that a life in academia was probably the thing I would least like.

Why finish the semester then?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by raoooos
Clogmugger

What? I can't help it that your country is stupid.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why finish the semester then?

lease is till august, and I need the money from my assistantship to pay it
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by Neo Evil11
What? I can't help it that your country is stupid.

You're mugging off the clogs, isn't that obvious
Quote by raoooos
You're mugging off the clogs, isn't that obvious

I am doing no such thing >.>
<.<
>.>
>.< maybe
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I'm in sophomore year... Still not majoring in any specific study... not doing well... I'm ****ed
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Quote by donegan_zealot
Applied to Texas State, accepted.. so yeah, that's happening

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I got into a PhD program with full funding for up to seven years. God help me if it takes that long.
Quote by MakinLattes
I got into a PhD program with full funding for up to seven years. God help me if it takes that long.

I remember those feels.

Good luck.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by MakinLattes

lol. What are you going to research?

PhD takes 3 years here. Well 5 if you take into account the fact that I need to do a research master too, even though I already have a normal one.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MakinLattes
I have no idea. I'll figure it out some time in my 30s.

You're 24-25 now? I think it will not take you more than 3 to 4 years to complete your PhD. Unless ofcourse they gave you a subject to complete, then you are completely dependent on what they want.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
The average here is like 5 years. 2 years of course work, 3 years for dissertation.

People with masters still have to do the coursework, which is a masters equivalent.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
The average here is like 5 years. 2 years of course work, 3 years for dissertation.

People with masters still have to do the coursework, which is a masters equivalent.

I met some of the people who had been there for five or six years. They looked dead inside.
Quote by MakinLattes
I met some of the people who had been there for five or six years. They looked dead inside.

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do less than a PhD.

I'm doing a PGCE through a program called Schools Direct where I get 2 school placements throughout the year and I'm guaranteed a job at the end of it. Tough course to get on. You have to have years of previous experience and already be thinking like a teacher in the interview process due to the intensive nature of the interviews. I'm partially funded, but most of it comes through loans.

It also counts for a 1/3 of a Masters if I want to continue down that route.
I'm hopefully going to graduate this summer with an Engineering Degree but I have totally lost interest in it. I want to move to video producing and stuff like that. All I have done the last 3 years is calculations and learning bollocks. If an engineering job is like that, it can sod orf.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do less than a PhD.

I'm doing a PGCE through a program called Schools Direct where I get 2 school placements throughout the year and I'm guaranteed a job at the end of it. Tough course to get on. You have to have years of previous experience and already be thinking like a teacher in the interview process due to the intensive nature of the interviews. I'm partially funded, but most of it comes through loans.

It also counts for a 1/3 of a Masters if I want to continue down that route.

Why? I like doing research and I like teaching at a university.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I'm an undergraduate Engineering student, and only plan on going to grad school if a company pays for it. I'm already broke as it is.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I'm thinking of applying for mechatronic engineering, but only if my CS honours degree knocks a year or so off

EDIT: Just to weigh in on this:
Quote by Neo Evil11
lol. What are you going to research?

PhD takes 3 years here. Well 5 if you take into account the fact that I need to do a research master too, even though I already have a normal one.

my undergrad course was 3 years, plus one year for honours (they basically cram a 2 year masters course into one for continuing students), then a PhD is 3 years on top of that.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Apr 18, 2013,
Quote by Diamond Dave
my undergrad course was 3 years, plus one year for honours (they basically cram a 2 year masters course into one for continuing students), then a PhD is 3 years on top of that.

I had a BSc of 3 years, 1 year MSc and now 2 years MPhil and 3 years PhD.

"forever a student"
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Wow TI? Really nice, I'm very jealous
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I ain't going to college so some hippie liberal communist professor gaylord can try to shove his communist anti-freedom agenda up my supple freedom loving asshole. No thank you.
Quote by Carnivean
Wow TI? Really nice, I'm very jealous

Your profile says you're 12. The **** do you want to do at TI? Are you some kind of asian genius age 12 that is at Harvard and now dissing me?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by macashmack
I ain't going to college so some hippie liberal communist professor gaylord can try to shove his communist anti-freedom agenda up my supple freedom loving asshole. No thank you.

You should sit in on my Liberal Propaganda for Anal Consumption 2230 lecture. It is very informative.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
You should sit in on my Liberal Propaganda for Anal Consumption 2230 lecture. It is very informative.

I would love to
Quote by MakinLattes

I live with 3 people doing Physics PhDs, and their average is 7.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Fully funded medicinal chemistry PhD for four years, already done six months and I dont ever want it to end.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Page 1 of 2