Hello there people of Ultimate-guitar!

I have a very weird problem with my effect pedals, one that Google has not been able to answer and I hope that someone on this forum can shed light upon the mystery that has unfolded in my humble apartment.

Now, as I am unsure about the technical terms of my equipment I cannot promise that all names are respectively correct, but I will do my best so please bear with me.

To put it simply, my effect pedals no longer works when I use stereo jack cables.
From one day to the other, there went no sound through and I spend half a day testing every connection in my pedals with my digital multimeter. I tested my stereo patch cables without any pedals and they worked fine, and I tested my power supply which also was flawless.
At some point it occurred to me to try out my mono patch cables, and they seemed to do the job.

I know some might say that this would be the solution, and it solves the problem of course, but I still feel the need to solve this strange mystery. And I prefer to use my stereo cables, as they are of much higher quality (Not that it matters in this particular case, but still)

How in the name of the devil, can effect pedals suddenly 'change their mind' about which cables works?

The equipment I use is as follows: Artec analog delay, Boss Metal zone MT-2, Boss Noise suppressor NS-2 and the MXR six band EQ.

I thank anyone on beforehand for reading and pondering upon this case, and hope an answer will arise amidst all the questions that flower on this forum
You may have bent something inside the pedal jack itself. Try one pedal at a time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're using stereo patch cables, then I believe the pedals' ring sleeve no longer grounds and completes the power circuit.

Like when you have a guitar with EMG's. The output jack is Stereo, but you don't use a stereo cable with it, the Ring lead is a switch that is completed by shorting to ground.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Already checked several times as this was my first thought as well.
Also, I have only tested the pedals one at a time. I think it would be the worst of luck if all four pedals had the same female jack issue, but i guess it is not impossible
The ring on EMG's is for remote power. Like this thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The ring on EMG's is for remote power. Like this thing.

I understand. But the ring on EMG pickup output jacks is also to short the ring and sleeve so the battery kicks in., otherwise you would have to wire the battery to be on all the time. If you used a stereo cable on the EMG, then the battery would never be activated. The ES9 is if you don't have room on board for a batter or you can't do any routing.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Yes, very true. Don't mind me I'm doped up on painkillers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes, very true. Don't mind me I'm doped up on painkillers.

I thought something was odd in your response, lulz.

In short, OP, your pedals did not ever change their mind about what cables they needed. They always needed TS/Mono cables.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Thank you all for your responses!

I didn't quite fully understand what was said about the EMG rings, but I doubt that is the issue. Furthermore, I can't wrap my head around how they have worked with stereo patch cables in the past.
Anywhoohoo, I will look into the pedals ring sleeve, and maybe even attempt to ground them myself (I am deffinately going to ruin a pedal or two, but at least I will understand what is going on )
Quote by Soundog
Thank you all for your responses!

I didn't quite fully understand what was said about the EMG rings, but I doubt that is the issue. Furthermore, I can't wrap my head around how they have worked with stereo patch cables in the past.
Anywhoohoo, I will look into the pedals ring sleeve, and maybe even attempt to ground them myself If you ground them permanently, the pedal circuit will always be on, meaning if you put a battery in, you will always drain the battery.(I am deffinately going to ruin a pedal or two, but at least I will understand what is going on )

STOP BEFORE YOU RUIN A PEDAL FOR NO REASON. Just understand that most pedals NEED the ring to be grounded. The "ring" in the middle part of the stereo cable connector. That is usually open, until it is connected to ground to complete the circuit. The ground connection is the SLEEVE, which is the biggest part of the 1/4 cable. When you use a TS/MONO cable, the Ring connector on the jack and the sleeve connector touch the SAME part of the plug, and therefore complete the battery circuit.

Not trying to be mean, but I just hate thinking you would ruin a perfectly good pedal when you could just learn from other means.

Read this page to understand why your pedals are not working with stereo cables:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalPower/
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Apr 19, 2013,
I haven't used batteries for over a year. Since I always forgot to unplug my pedals I invested in a multi output power supply, so I have no worries about saving battery power
I will heed your warning however, and read what need to be read before attempting anything risky.

Read this page to understand why your pedals are not working with stereo cables:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalPower/

This link is really helpfull by the way. Thanks!