Subscription cost for doing remix work for other people = no care ever.
I miss FiXT Remix so much
Quote by roaraudio
Huh... i didn't pay anything and got the stems

What you got was a trial. They give you stems from three contests, and then it's $5/month.
My only beef about these kinds of things is that a lot of your mixes will improve rather significantly from other things that are not "learning how to mix."

If you take something recorded in a great room with great mics going through great preamps - material played by great musicians using great instruments, etc. - the stuff will mix itself. Seriously. You'll get those tracks, load them up and fiddle with them for a while and say, "Geez, I must be getting really a lot better at mixing. Listen to this!" And then you go back and record some of your own stuff with your Rock Band Mic and entry-level interface and you're all, like, "WTF?! Why can't I do this?"

I found that my mixes got way better when I upgraded my preamps, got some better mics, got some more experience recording stuff, treated my room, and got some better plugins.

So, keep building your perfect beast. All the while, keep practicing your skills. It's the whole package that will produce better mixes.

You can be the best chef in the world, but if your ingredients are second-rate, you'll never know how good your recipes can actually be. Use ingredients that taste great to begin with, and it's almost hard to screw it up. No chef uses cooking wine. It's crap. They'll use a good wine for cooking... because the ingredients matter more than anything.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Apr 20, 2013,
Quote by axemanchris
My only beef about these kinds of things is that a lot of your mixes will improve rather significantly from other things that are not "learning how to mix."

If you take something recorded in a great room with great mics going through great preamps - material played by great musicians using great instruments, etc. - the stuff will mix itself. Seriously. You'll get those tracks, load them up and fiddle with them for a while and say, "Geez, I must be getting really a lot better at mixing. Listen to this!" And then you go back and record some of your own stuff with your Rock Band Mic and entry-level interface and you're all, like, "WTF?! Why can't I do this?"

I found that my mixes got way better when I upgraded my preamps, got some better mics, got some more experience recording stuff, treated my room, and got some better plugins.

So, keep building your perfect beast. All the while, keep practicing your skills. It's the whole package that will produce better mixes.

You can be the best chef in the world, but if your ingredients are second-rate, you'll never know how good your recipes can actually be. Use ingredients that taste great to begin with, and it's almost hard to screw it up. No chef uses cooking wine. It's crap. They'll use a good wine for cooking... because the ingredients matter more than anything.

CT

This is true. However a good recording allows you to not worry about the corrective stuff and just focus on the creativity of mixing and experimentation of sidechains and delays.