Hi, I was checking out tabs of one song (For One Moment In Time by Wartime) and I found out that it's for 7 string guitars... So now I'm wandering: I have two guitars, so I could use my older guitar (cheap strat copy by Cort) as a 7 string, but how? It has only 6 strings! But maybe, just maybe I could somehow add the extra string by changing the bridge and adding another tuning peg... But for now I have only a pack of six thicker (.12-.54) strings.

I'm not actually planning to do the modification, I'm just interested if it's even possible.
You would also need a different nut. The strings would be too close together. I wouldn't reccomend it.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
No its not. The pickups wouldn't fit, the strings would be too close together, the bridge would have to be replaced and where would you put the new tuning peg?
You'd literally have to replace more than half the guitar, more worthwhile to just buy a seven string that would actually be comfortable to play.
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
It's almost impossible because you'll need a wider neck, which means needing a wider neck pocket, you'll need a new nut, another tuner (some headstock designs make this impossible to do because there's no room for another tuner) and a new bridge.

Just buy a 7 string.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
there would probably be more room in you could figure out a way to install the string on the back of the neck. Heck, if that works, why stop at 7? Let me know how it goes.
String spacing, pickup spacing and potential string tension problems. It's not worth the work at all.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by Maximus_2005

/thread IMO.

Seriously dude, Modding a Squier Strat to a 7 string is like adding a Nitrous System to a Volvo, It's just not worth it

Quote by jmako
there would probably be more room in you could figure out a way to install the string on the back of the neck. Heck, if that works, why stop at 7? Let me know how it goes.

If you did that, You would need pickups on the back of your guitar.

Where would you put your hand on the neck too? and how would you tune this string if your headstock only has room for 6 pegs?
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at Apr 18, 2013,
Don't let these boneheads discourage you. All you need is a hacksaw and a cordless drill. Just carve out a new slot on the nut. Next, drill a hole big enough for the seventh string down by the bridge. Now all you gotta do is throw an old bass string on it and there it is, a seven string piece of crap.
Either buy a 7-string or, if you don't need the 1st string for the song, simply tune down to B; buy a set of 7-string strings of the same gauage you usually use and just discard the 1st string. Bear in mind that your guitar will need to be set up for this properly, including having the nut adjusted (a permanent modification), the action raised, the intonation adjusted at the bridge and the neck relief will need to be set properly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
Don't let these boneheads discourage you. All you need is a hacksaw and a cordless drill. Just carve out a new slot on the nut. Next, drill a hole big enough for the seventh string down by the bridge. Now all you gotta do is throw an old bass string on it and there it is, a seven string piece of crap.

Hey bonehead how's he going to tune it?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Possible? Yes.

Practical? Not even remotely.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?