Hey UG,

I've got a Yamaha SF1000 Super Flighter electric guitar, which the previous owner had done some paint touching up on the edges of the pickups. Unfortunately, the paint had leaked onto the pickup surrounds - doesn't look like he knew what he was doing... I've been told it was an enamel spray paint that he used, and was wondering if anyone knows an effective way of removing this?

I would just buy new pickups rings but these are the odd ones that Yamaha did with two mounting holes on the top side rather than just one either side, and typically they want a ridiculous sum of money for replacements. I could just use standard ones and move the screw, but I'd rather maintain the original appearance if possible.

So yeah, removing enamel paint from plastic pickup surrounds...anyone?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Try nail polish or even lacquer thinner; however do this with the pickup ring removed and a far distance away from your guitar because both these chemicals can destroy a guitar finish almost instantly. Either one of them should work without damaging the plastic of the ring, if not odds are its probably not coming off, you may be able to scrape it of with a sharp razor at that point.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Awesome, thanks guys I know not to do it with the ring still on, I've learnt from what the last guy obviously didn't have the sense to do.. I shall pick up some lacquer thinner, cheers!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..