Hey all!

Got a question I would like to put out to the guitarist community.

Would you buy a pick made from woolly mammoth ivory for between £15- £50 ($20-$70)?

Might sound odd, but from what I have looked up on it, it seems legit and plausible.

The company I found, tusk buffer, claim hand carved custom picks from woolly mammoth ivory that died approx 25,000 years ago.

I'm interested as I am starting a site PlecPicker, and am curious on stocking this unique plec.

I am worried however that there might be some black market elephant ivory involved,
does anyone know of this of even have a mammoth tusk pick?

Let me know!

You are saying one of the few Mammoth bones that is preserved well is being used to make guitar picks?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I cant imagine its real...? If it were they would be far more than £70 surely?

Isnt Ivory one of the most expensive materials per gram on earth?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I cant imagine its real...? If it were they would be far more than £70 surely?

Isnt Ivory one of the most expensive materials per gram on earth?

it's not. It's one of the most illegal materials per gram on earth ofcourse. After the obviouse radioactive and biochemical warfare materials.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
pretty sure most drugs are worth more per gram >,>

What else do you do with a 25,000 tusk? look at it? make a big bong? hmm...
Too expensive, too easy to lose, and probably wouldn't sound any better than a bit of plastic.

Assuming it's real
It's probably elephant tusk. Which means elephants were hunted and killed to make those. So no, I would not buy one.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
It's probably elephant tusk. Which means elephants were hunted and killed to make those. So no, I would not buy one.

This is my only real concern, specially as a potential supplier
Quote by Neo Evil11
it's not. It's one of the most illegal materials per gram on earth ofcourse. After the obviouse radioactive and biochemical warfare materials.

yeah my bad, got it mixed up with the value of rhimo tusk after seeing a report on it the other day

Either way, my V Picks are expensive enough.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What a disgusting waste of potentially valuable scientific artifacts, and an obvious cover up for the selling ivory.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
What a disgusting waste of potentially valuable scientific artifacts, and an obvious cover up for the selling ivory.

How exactly is it scientifically valuable?

Wouldn't think there is much to learn out of a tusk that hasn't even fossilized yet..
The older ones are more stone like and useless for picks, apparently.
Quote by PlecPicker
How exactly is it scientifically valuable?

Wouldn't think there is much to learn out of a tusk that hasn't even fossilized yet..
The older ones are more stone like and useless for picks, apparently.

Non-fossilised mammoth skeletons are even more valuable, as they are far less common and far more likely to contain interesting genetic material, as well as still retain their internal structure much more than a fossil would.

And the older ones are stone, that's all a fossil is.
No, mostly because this is an idiotic use of ancient biological material
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
From a quick Google it seems quite common to DNA test ivory to track origins and poaching. If this site is really commercially and openly selling illegal black-market ivory, wouldn't someone of tested their product by now? Yes I have searched this regarding this company but found no convincing proof either way :-/

I do feel however that even the word 'Ivory' legal or not might put of more than it draws. I probably wont be doing trade with them.
I love how upset everybody is getting.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Yup. The first thing I think of when you say 25,000 year old wooly mammoth bone is "Hey, that would make a great guitar pick!"

Look, if you want something different for a guitar pick, cut up some old credit cards or something. Geez.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Also, if it were really 25,000 years old it would be fossilised, so their credibility isn't looking good.
Why defame such a wonderful creatures tusk? I'd rather have the specimen than cut it up for guitar picks.
Found an interesting related link:
http://www.ivoryandart.com/servlet/the-template/mammothivoryfake/Page

Apparently telling the difference between mammoth and elephant is not too hard.

I've looked and looked and I can't see no mention of scientific or medical value to any type of ivory, just 'art' .

Found this to:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/27/mammoth-ivory-ethical-jewellery

I like a good controversial debate
Last edited by PlecPicker at Apr 18, 2013,
Quote by PlecPicker
Apparently telling the difference between mammoth and elephant is not to hard.

Telling the difference between to and too isn't too hard either.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came