I just recently upgraded to a Peavey classic 30 and was looking for some insight on what pedal I should buy to get a thrashy metal tone (in the event that I have the urge to play metal as its definitely far from the reason why I bought this specific amp)

I've heard that a barber dirty bomb or bad monkey are good choices.
What bands/songs?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
When I was younger I dabbled a lot in bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, etc.
Last edited by KillerLolrus at Apr 18, 2013,
Hardwire TL-2 is worth a look.

If you want to drop some cash I'd look at a Wampler Plextortion or SLOstortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You could go over to Pro Guitar Shop and watch some of the demos of their gear, but if new or used isnt a problem You can still find the Marshall Guv'nor 2 for sale at some places. I use it with my 1x12 tube amp and it gives a good classic rock/vintage metal tone. They got discontinued but still a great sounding pedal with alot of EQ features.
You might be more than an overdrive to get metal tones with that amp. One of my friends had one and with the amp's gain that high it's super noisy.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
barber dirty bomb would be one of the better affordable choices.

bad monkey is an overdrive that would be used to boost the lead channel of a high-gain amp. the classic 30 does not fit that bill by any stretch of the imagination.
When I had my classic 30 an OD pedal was not enough. A fuzz pedal sounded great through it, but my Satchurator sounded terrible whereas a metal muff actually sounded good. Point being, is that it might be a trial and error. But all of the pedals I am mentioning are well below $100. Just depends on how much you are looking to spend. The C30 is a great amp though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'll try to head to a licensed peavey dealer in my area and see if I can try some of these pedals.
yo

my 50 digs the new bogner uberschall pedal, I've tried one with it. it sounded pretty sweet. quite expensive though.
you may look at one of wampler's offerings, such as the plextortion or a triple wreck (the latter of which may be too modern for you)

theres a plethora of metal pedals out there, I suggest you try some
Quote by ihartfood
yo

my 50 digs the new bogner uberschall pedal, I've tried one with it. it sounded pretty sweet. quite expensive though.
you may look at one of wampler's offerings, such as the plextortion or a triple wreck (the latter of which may be too modern for you)

theres a plethora of metal pedals out there, I suggest you try some

the new bogner units sound pretty damn good from demos. i haven't had the opportunity to try one.

again, the dirty bomb is good for the price. i haven't ever had one on my rig, but there was one in the used section of GC's pedal case a year or two ago. worked out really nice with a twin reverb.

i have played classic 30, an old friend had one a few years ago, and i didn't haul anything over as he had an AC15, so i didn't really need to bring anything just for jamming.

he would come over to my house, and i would be fully equipped.

point is, i have played a lot on a classic 30, but i don't know how it would take something like one of the bogner pedals or the dirty bomb.

i highly doubt you will be able to test too many in person, they are never around here anyways. used off of TGP is where i go. get it at a good price, sell it for the same +/-15%
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Check out ProGuitarShop's "Demo It Live" feature. Basically it allows you to test different pedals through YOUR amp to see how it'll sound through YOUR amp before you buy it. I've tried their TS9 demo through my Classic 30 and it sounds pretty similar to how my own TS9 through the amp sounds.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
I have C30 so you can try with Ibanez Sonic Distortion SD-9 or some clone of that pedal but on clean channel... On drive channel I recommended Tube screamer or modified Bad Monkey because the drive channel have enough drive without any effect pedals