Hey,

After a long time away from guitar i am getting back into it, and i love listening to and playing metal songs (arch enemy, amon amarth etc.) I have about £500 to spend, maybe a little more, and i've been looking at the lpj and sgj. They both sound awesome, but as they use slightly different humbuckers i'm wondering which would be the best for playing metal on

Cheers.
Depends on what your amp is.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Oh i forgot to mention the amp, my amp SUCKS im getting a new one maybe a marshall of some sort? not too sure there...
If you think they both sound awesome just get the one you personally like more. Tone is subjective.

You can always change the pickups too in the future for (relatively) cheap

get an amp.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
FWIW, I did not like the SGJ at all. I played one and the finish was awful, the neck was rough and poorly sanded, and it didn't hold a tune at all.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You can get a MUCH better guitar than those for £500. If you like the SG style, an ESP LTD Viper is far better and if you prefer the Les Paul style, a single cut from the PRS SE range would be VASTLY superior.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
You can get a MUCH better guitar than those for £500. If you like the SG style, an ESP LTD Viper is far better and if you prefer the Les Paul style, a single cut from the PRS SE range would be VASTLY superior.

Have you played an LPJ or an SGJ?
Quote by dementiacaptain
FWIW, I did not like the SGJ at all. I played one and the finish was awful, the neck was rough and poorly sanded, and it didn't hold a tune at all.

That's kinda the point finish-wise. They're supposed to feel rough.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 18, 2013,
the lp should be slightly better for metal, everything else being equal (which it isn't). the 498T in the LP is slightly hotter than the 490T in the SG, and also the 498T has alnico 5 magnets versus the 490T's alnico II magnets, both of which should improve metal tones.

I should point out that I haven't tried either guitar, and also I wouldn't really call a 498T a metal pickup either- just it should be a bit better for it than the 490R in the SG.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Let Gregs1020 find you an old MIJ LP clone

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Awesome,
any recommendations an amps for £300 or under?
Thanks again
I would put more money towards your amp than your guitar. Especially if your current amp "sucks." There are more threads that I can think of that recommend amp then guitar. If you are really looking for a Gibson style guitar, I would get a nice amp, then maybe get an epiphone les paul or sg, depending on what fits your need. Just an idea. Since you like Amon Amarth, you might look at some of the epi or other brands explorers.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
if im not mistaken (and i might be). the only real difference is the body shape. im pretty sure both have the same pickups and everything, and sound realy close (really good). so i think the only thing you have to put thought into is "do i want a les paul or do i want an sg?"

Edit I was wrong disregard that.

A good amp? Look at smaller fenders. I have the show master combo amp it sounds amazing. And I paid 350 I think. U can most likely get one used for less than 300
Last edited by rander7917 at Apr 19, 2013,
Quote by Jamesc4
Awesome,
any recommendations an amps for £300 or under?
Thanks again

jet city on thomann
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Have you played an LPJ or an SGJ?

That's kinda the point finish-wise. They're supposed to feel rough.

I don't think that it is any companies goal to make a guitar feel "rough" though maybe I am wrong. I could understand worn in, or "antiqued," but the SGJ just felt bad.

I would think that a key selling point of a guitar would be that it was comfortable to play, when the neck feels like rubbing sand paper, I don't think that is counted as comfortable.

Not trying to pick a fight, I just think it is important that TS understands that the guitar may not be a good pick for these reasons.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I don't think that it is any companies goal to make a guitar feel "rough" though maybe I am wrong. I could understand worn in, or "antiqued," but the SGJ just felt bad.

I would think that a key selling point of a guitar would be that it was comfortable to play, when the neck feels like rubbing sand paper, I don't think that is counted as comfortable.

Not trying to pick a fight, I just think it is important that TS understands that the guitar may not be a good pick for these reasons.

The point is that it feels rough to begin with, but the neck becomes more and more smooth with playing. It'll feel rough when it's new.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by dementiacaptain

Ahem...

Top on these were deliberately ridged and rough.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
LP BFG I believe, they came out 4ish years ago IIRC

A friend bought a white LPJ just a week or two back. I walked in and saw it, and immediately picked it up as I've never seen this model before. It was finished very well and I couldn't find a single fault on any detail, except for how the fretboard was joined to the neck. The neck was marginally bigger than the fretboard and left a very slight ledge, only noticeable if you specifically looked for it and you could barely feel it with your fingernail. 50s style neck, mahogany body, maple cap, and what I'm assuming was a maple neck. The finish is the same thing as on the Faded series instruments. In other words, you can see and feel the grain on the mahogany back but the maple parts are a solid satin finish and you can see the grain in direct sunlight.

I would play one before you bought it blind though, the thicker neck isn't for everyone but it is very comfortable to play. It was a very well built guitar, I wouldn't pass on it simply because it a stripped down guitar. Something doesn't need to be flashy and decked out to be nice . I would like to add that it came with actual Kluson tuners, instead of Gibson Deluxe. Definitely a nice touch.

EDIT: Because it's relevant. All of us realized we brought a Gibson out that day so I took a quick pic of everything on the couch. My V, another friends Standard Gibson Explorer, and the LPJ

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 19, 2013,