I'm currently playing through a b52 at100 head with jj6L6 power tubes into a peavey 6505 straight front cab. I play an ibanez rg7321 with a dimarzio d-activator and an ibanez rg570fm with active emgs in drop A and drop G# tunings. I play death metal, deathcore, metalcore, hardcore etc. As for pedals I'm only using an mxr noise clamp. The amp is set with the gain and master volume maxed out and I use the gain 2 channel volume to control my volume level. I really like the tone but I want to push the gain a little further over the edge ( maybe more saturation?). My question is ....what should I do to achieve this? I don't want a cheap sounding generic distortion. I like the overdriven tube tone. Would upgrading my preamp and rectifier tubes to a higher quality brand than factory help or should I look into an overdrive pedal such as a tube screamer or is there a distortion pedal that would not take away from the tube tone? I like to keep my set up simple. Any help would be appreciated
Last edited by c.o.c.-yeah at Apr 19, 2013,
tube screamer or variant.

also the speakers in peavey cabs aren't all that great. it may not be a huge deal, but the efficiency is probably different.

what are you running for preamp tubes? i wouldn't be think you would need the gain and volume to achieve good tone. they got some serious gain. that may be tubes.

or have you ever stood in front of it at speaker level close? and backed up a bit? gone into another room (with door open and shut), you may have more gain than you think because you normally aren't at that level.

in the short you may be using more gain than you need, i discovered a while back that i used more gain than i wanted when i heard a recording of it on one of those cheap room recorders that a friend had a while ago.

but i definately say some amps do need a boost to tighten up, i boost some of my amps. maybe then you would want to turn the gain down.

in short: mess around, get new preamp tubes if you haven't replaced them, see if a pedal does you good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks. It has the factory 12ax7s but I've heard the oem tubes are kinda cheap. If back the gain off any the lower strings get really muddy and loose their attack. But with the gain maxed out the feedback is redonkulous. I really have to mess with the noise clamp to keep it under control. Too much clamping and the volume will fluctuate when doing palm muted triplets or quadruplets and too little and you can hear the feedback fading out when doing really fast stocattos. I was hoping a pedal would allow me to back off the gain a little to help with feedback. Also, if using a pedal should I run it through the effects loop or between guitar and amp? I really need to work on my gear knowledge.
Quote by c.o.c.-yeah
Thanks. It has the factory 12ax7s but I've heard the oem tubes are kinda cheap. If back the gain off any the lower strings get really muddy and loose their attack. But with the gain maxed out the feedback is redonkulous. I really have to mess with the noise clamp to keep it under control. Too much clamping and the volume will fluctuate when doing palm muted triplets or quadruplets and too little and you can hear the feedback fading out when doing really fast stocattos. I was hoping a pedal would allow me to back off the gain a little to help with feedback. Also, if using a pedal should I run it through the effects loop or between guitar and amp? I really need to work on my gear knowledge.

new tubes and an OD pedal would get you exactly what you need. typically stock tubes are pretty shitty. and a lot of amps need the boost out front.

personally i would recommend calling doug's tubes (google the site) he will give good recommendations based on the amp.

i pretty much put JJ's in everything. they are reliable, cheap, long living, but they do give a darker tone, which for me is exactly what i am using. both splawns are JJ;s my JTM45 preamp tubes are as well as my 18 watter. i have a few JJ's mixed in in the MKIV. they are my go to.

they are a lot of peoples go to, but i have never played your amp and wouldn't want to pass on questionable advice.

doug (doug's tubes) will talk to you about what would be best for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Thanks for all the help man. I dig your avatar. Nola never goes out of rotation in my cd player
Quote by c.o.c.-yeah
Thanks for all the help man. I dig your avatar. Nola never goes out of rotation in my cd player

down is on all of mine as well you are a man of great taste.

their CD/DVD live set is awesome. definitely worth picking up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
indeed, you can never get enough swamp metal. down, crowbar, coc, kingdom of sorrow, mystick krewe.

one more question. do you have to rebias when changing out preamp tubes? certain amount of break in time?
Quote by c.o.c.-yeah
indeed, you can never get enough swamp metal. down, crowbar, coc, kingdom of sorrow, mystick krewe.

one more question. do you have to rebias when changing out preamp tubes? certain amount of break in time?

preamp tubes do not need to be biased.

i have never worried about a breaking in tube, however i wouln't put fresh tubes in and dime the amp two minutes later.

they are plug and play.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!