Putting this here, cuz I don't know where else to put it (too lazy to search)

Dear Pitters,

I'm in a bit of a situation with my band.
We have the opportunity to play our first gig at the biggest venue in my town on 22th of June(it's a big party where 7 bands get to play 45 minute each, because this year is my towns 600th anniversary).
Now I feel like I'm good enough to actually do it(bass player), and our drummer is too.
Our guitarist only has some minor flaws he could work out before

the problem is our (female) singer.
She has been resistant to the idea of our first gig, she wanted to "think about it", but since then cancelled on 2 of our practice nights. So we couldn't discuss the idea.
She is also struggling with remembering the lyrics of the covers we play.
also I think (i dont know this for sure, i havent asked her) that she might have a fear of going on stage(perfectly normal I'd say, but still and obstacle to overcome)

what is the best way for her to learn lyrics? cause I feel like if she could remember all lyrics, she might say yes and we'd have our first gig!
if that doesn't work, what is the best way to persuade her?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
what is the best way for her to learn lyrics? cause I feel like if she could remember all lyrics, she might say yes and we'd have our first gig!
if that doesn't work, what is the best way to persuade her?

Best way for her to learn would be to burn a CD/make a playlist of all the songs you guys cover, and listen to it on repeat.

I've got to say - not wanting to gig? Avoiding practice? Sounds like she just doens't want to be in a band dude.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Ditch the bitch and add Microsoft Sam as your lead singer

Srs though

This is your first gig??

Shouldn't you have smaller ones lined up? Or do you?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Ditch the bitch and add Microsoft Sam as your lead singer

Srs though

This is your first gig??

Shouldn't you have smaller ones lined up? Or do you?

well, our "biggest venue" is this: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/21382782.jpg

so basicly its not that big, and it's outside xD
this is a town with like 10.000 people living here. not that much.

Quote by metacarpi
Best way for her to learn would be to burn a CD/make a playlist of all the songs you guys cover, and listen to it on repeat.

I've got to say - not wanting to gig? Avoiding practice? Sounds like she just doens't want to be in a band dude.

She was the one who came to us to be in a band though, and she is very busy with her education (university or some shit, and it were exam weeks)
If she cancels next tuesday I am going to be a bit mad though, I think school is good too but cancelling 3 times is a lot if we want to do this.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Apr 19, 2013,
Quote by The_Casinator
Nijkerk. Hehe.

seems like you know the place :P
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
if the bitch cant memorize lyrics in two months then shes clinically ******ed

memorizing melodies should be the harder part
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
also, pics of her pls
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
also, pics of her pls

Oh sweet lord!

How did I forget to ask this?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by metacarpi

I'm with this guy. If she really wants to do it and be in the band then she should already be reading the lyrics everyday, practicing to some simple demoes or scratch tracks etc. Does she at least make sandwiches when she does come to practice?
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by guitarist5477
I'm with this guy. If she really wants to do it and be in the band then she should already be reading the lyrics everyday, practicing to some simple demoes or scratch tracks etc. Does she at least make sandwiches when she does come to practice?

we play at night, after dinner, so neither of us want a sandwich, she does pour our drinks though.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
she could use a paper (don't use a big-ass clipboard) with the printed lyrics on it.
tell her to fold off the parts that she doesn't read to make it small.

tell her read only the parts that she doesn't know, and always make eye contact with the audience (especially on the chorus')

and also what metacarpi said.

and maybe you should have asked on the Bandleading forums.
Quote by Bluebit
she could use a paper (don't use a big-ass clipboard) with the printed lyrics on it.
tell her to fold off the parts that she doesn't read to make it small.

tell her read only the parts that she doesn't know, and always make eye contact with the audience (especially on the chorus')

and also what metacarpi said.

and maybe you should have asked on the Bandleading forums.

I'm not really a bandleader though, I was just wondering what I could do about it. our band is like a democracy xD
and having the lyrics on stage... seems really amateuristic to me?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I'm not really a bandleader though, I was just wondering what I could do about it. our band is like a democracy xD
and having the lyrics on stage... seems really amateuristic to me?

You know what else is really "amateuristic"? Not remembering lyrics.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
if you find someone else willing to take her place then she will probably suddenly have the motivation to turn up
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
tl:dr, because this is the pit

but there's a forum called Bandleading
it's not ****ing rocket science
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Go over her head and commit to the gig.

Tell her as soon as you can that you're locked in (even if you aren't already).

A real kick in the pants like that should get her ready.

(I tend to be sarcastic, but this is a 100% serious suggestion)

If that doesn't work, give her the boot and have one of the rest of you sing because obviously you're more committed and it will be better.

EDIT: lol, I just realized I'm coming off as forceful on the subject because I just woke up at 7:30 AM after getting home at 11 for 9AM band practice and have spent the last 30 minutes listening to two 2:30 songs on repeat in order to get the lyrics down for our gig tomorrow.

The right amount of pressure does wonders.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Apr 19, 2013,
Three things-

1: Your town looks exceptionally clean. At first i thought it was a town i visited in Denmark, then i saw where you're from.

2: There is a bandleading forum for all this kind of thing. This will probably be moved there, but this is just a heads up for future reference.

3: You should have a band discussion, see why she's being this way, there might be a solution that can be found, but if not, you are probably better off getting a new singer, it's not right that all you guys are pulling your weight, and she's just half-assing it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
man, screw that bitch. A lot of members sing AND play an instrument AND mange to do both efficiently. Let her know politely that working hard and doing shows is what bands do. If she has to "think about it" then it's because she's not invested in it and shouldn't be in it
replace her with Hatsune Miku
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.