I've noticed the high prices for vintage strats and other guitars that are from earlier generations. Is there something special about those that are priced so high besides the age of the guitar?

Also, do you think that if you were to buy a new strat in 2013, it would be worth up to 10x the buying price in 30 years from now?
There was probably a difference in quality or management though I've never really looked into it. Doesn't interest me, in fact I'd prefer new.

And no, 10x is ridiculous.
West Ham United
A lot of it is hype, though I do remember reading somewhere that older guitars sound punchier because the wood changes as it ages? I dunno, may be a bunch of bullshit.
Quote by King Donkey
There was probably a difference in quality or management though I've never really looked into it. Doesn't interest me, in fact I'd prefer new.

And no, 10x is ridiculous.

maybe 3-4x is more reasonable.

i just remember seeing a torn up relic strat for like 10k on ebay a while ago.
it is 2013 and people want guitars from the 1960s
in 2070 they are still going to want guitars from the 1960s, not your 2008 road worn strat
signed,
your favorite poster
Quote by Bakinbacon
maybe 3-4x is more reasonable.

i just remember seeing a torn up relic strat for like 10k on ebay a while ago.

I guess it's just similar to antiques. Strats from back then are rarer, and they're old, and they're from that mystical "golden age" of the beginnings of rock.

I highly, highly doubt they sound 10 times better than a normal good strat would.
It's not purely the age, it's the rarity. Fender didn't make as many guitars in the 50s/60s as they do today, so in the future a 2013 strat won't be as rare as a vintage guitar is today.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Bakinbacon
I've noticed the high prices for vintage strats and other guitars that are from earlier generations. Is there something special about those that are priced so high besides the age of the guitar?

Also, do you think that if you were to buy a new strat in 2013, it would be worth up to 10x the buying price in 30 years from now?

In early 1965, Leo Fender sold his companies to the Columbia Broadcasting System, or 'CBS'. CBS's "cost-cutting" strategy resulted in an instrument of less quality, which is why 'pre-CBS' Fenders are now worth quite a lot of money, because they were better guitars and are limited in their numbers, making them highly collectable.
Quote by CoreysMonster
A lot of it is hype, though I do remember reading somewhere that older guitars sound punchier because the wood changes as it ages? I dunno, may be a bunch of bullshit.

They do sound ever so slightly different. They got a more.. I dunno, "worn in" sound I guess? It's barely noticeable, though, and not worth the $4000 they charge for them. Get an EQ pedal or some shit and your fine with any moderately priced "lower-tier" guitar. Epiphone's, Agile, etc. sound just fine.

Another reason for the expense is collection. Collectors items go up and down with demand, and an older guitar has more collection value than a 2013 one.

TL;DR people buy the expensive guitars for bragging rights.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I guess it's just similar to antiques. Strats from back then are rarer, and they're old, and they're from that mystical "golden age" of the beginnings of rock.

I highly, highly doubt they sound 10 times better than a normal good strat would.

Diminishing returns. A USA standard doesn't sound 10 times better (if that was even quantifiable) than a Squier.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
it's a collectors market, some old cars are worth a lot of money too but it doesn't make them better than all new cars.

Although I do own a 70's fender neck now and it feels so good to play, so bask in my mojo.
So many factors play into this kind of thing, just like valuable coins. Consider the materials the guitar was made from, factories that might not exist anymore, companies that went bankrupt and don't exist anymore...

Also a lot depends on who is willing to buy. If you hate Les Paul's you probably won't ever pay $12,500 for a guitar of this make.
Very unlikely. There's a billion Strats from this era. The nitro Strats of the 50's and 60's are rarer and are considered the best Strats.

Your best bet is a signature model or a really good AVRI. But its not a sure bet.

I think it'll be some smaller company who becomes huge.

Look at pedals like the Fulltones, Timmys etc.

Or just save up and buy a 69 Strat or a 59 LP.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

In 30-years, inflation would pretty much double the monetary value of it. However, new guitars usually depreciate massviely as soon as you buy it so this probably leave it about the same.

The only way something is going to appreciate that much is if it is a limited edition, manufactured in a small quantity or gains massive popularity after the manufacturer poorly changes the design.
I assume it's much like cars, they depreciate over time, then should there be a market for the older one, they will raise in value with age.
Quote by Bakinbacon
Yes. The woods and some of the parts used aren't available now; even the most expensive 'reissues' are slightly different from the originals.

Plus, nothing is worth more to a collector than rarity and history. There will never be another Les Paul made in 1959. 1959 doesn't exist any more. Gibson can make Les Pauls and call them a 1959 model, but they're not actually from 1959. An actual 1959 Les Paul will always be worth vastly, vastly more.

The only guitars of this age that will increase in value are the very highest-quality and limited production guitars. Things like the Fender Custom Shop Limited Editions, anniversary PRS '10 Tops', etc.

A Fender American Standard Stratocaster made in 2013 is never going to be worth a fraction of what a basic Strat from the 50s and 60s is worth. There are more guitars made in a month now than were made in a year in the 50s.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
the reason the old strats and lp's are so expensive is because they were the first models of what would grow to be 2 of the most iconic guitars of all time
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Price is the ratio between supply and demand. Older guitars are in shorter supply, but the other half of that is demand. If nobody wants it then it's not worth anything. Some guitars will appreciate and some won't. Fashions change too. While it seems extremely unlikely, it's theoretically possible that Fenders, for example, will suddenly go out of fashion and no one will want them. The opposite can also happen. When it comes to markets and prices there is always uncertainty. You can't say for sure that any given guitar will appreciate. A high price means there is limited supply and lots of people want it.
Quite a few factors go into the high prices of vintage guitars, but most is up to chance. No one knew that guitars from back then were going to be immensely valuable now (for whatever reasons). That contributes to their rarity since most were just treated like any old guitar.
What you don't want to do is to think that will happen again, because that is the wrong way of looking at things. This mentality happened in the comics industry and it made a bubble that eventually burst. Most investments lose money over time. Guitars are one of them.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I have a model of Taylor acoustic that they don't make anymore from 2001. I've been told that it will appreciate in value as long as I keep it in good condition.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
For a modern guitar, it would have to be a limited run or, rare finish to gain any kind of value over the retail price. Even then it's not going to go super high. Plus you have to find someone who really wants it, to get the $ you want.

My les Paul is a good example of this. It is a 1993 Classic Goldtop. When I bought it new the retail was $2000.00 (I got a better deal though). The back, sides and neck are all gold instead of plain wood. According to Gibson, they only did this for 1993, and only on the Classics. The last time I checked the blue book, about 4-5 years ago, it was listed at $2500.00. For a mint condition. A little disappointing after babying it all those years. It's about to turn 20 next month. I will have to recheck, but I don't think the value has gone up all that much from there.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
A guitar from this age right now will probably not be worth anything in the future. Who is going to want a guitar from the time period when the economy was so bad most major manufacturers had to cut all sorts of corners to stay afloat?
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
You hear vintage guitar and think old Les Pauls and Fenders, maybe the pre-lawsuit ibanez guitars, old epiphones and Gretsch, but do you think they were the only manufacturers in the world?

There are plenty of old guitars that are cheap as shit. They're just not remembered and so you draw a correlation between the old guitars that you know of and their high price.

The price of an old guitar is a combination of quality, rarity, cultural significance and the individual buyer's sentimentality.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I see old shitty guitars from the 60s for $50-$100 all the time.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.