Page 1 of 4
jrcsgtpeppers
Tab Contributor
171 IQ
why are you not eating meat? if you cared about the animals you would do something more than just not eat them. you not eating them has absolutely no impact on getting anywhere close to saving a single baby chicken from being sluahgtered for its breasts.

dont say we has veggie thread, im the last 2 posts
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.
573 IQ
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
you not eating them has absolutely no impact on getting anywhere close to saving a single baby chicken from being sluahgtered for its breasts.

Erm... yes it does. Animals bred for food are bred and killed to demand. Demand less, less are killed.
devourke
Banned
124 IQ
if vegetarians really cared about animals they wouldn't eat animal food. animals get hungry too.

horses like carrots.
jrcsgtpeppers
Tab Contributor
171 IQ
but you have no idea. no matter how many vegemetarians you convert, you will never stop me from serving hundreds of nuggets, mcchickens, and crispy and grilled patties, and pounds over pounds of hamburger meat, every single hour of the day (except3-5am). there is absolutely on impact on the consumption of meat in anywhere, period.
CoreysMonster
Banned
210 IQ
Quote by MadClownDisease
Erm... yes it does. Animals bred for food are bred and killed to demand. Demand less, less are killed.

And less are bred, as well.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
182 IQ
So vegetarians are just poultry antinatalists?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
captainsnazz
~
50 IQ
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
why are you not eating meat?

Mainly because it grosses me out, but also health reasons and I wouldn't want to be the reason that animals are kept in horrible conditions then killed

Quote by MadClownDisease

This.
kaptink
whoa-oh-oh
50 IQ
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
but you have no idea. no matter how many vegemetarians you convert, you will never stop me from serving hundreds of nuggets, mcchickens, and crispy and grilled patties, and pounds over pounds of hamburger meat, every single hour of the day (except3-5am). there is absolutely on impact on the consumption of meat in anywhere, period.

roughly 30% of the Indian population (of over a billion) is vegetarian; there are millions of others in countries around the world, do you really think that if all those people started eating a meat-based diet (average to their country) there would be no impact on the comsumption of meat.

Are you trolling or do you sir... have donkey brains?

Last edited by kaptink at Apr 19, 2013,
jrcsgtpeppers
Tab Contributor
171 IQ
it doesnt. youve got mayb e 10% of the worlds population at most not eat meat. that does not help the cause at all. its avoiding the problem. just keep that in mind. someone else will always eat your burger you didnt buy.
ErnestoFidel
70 IQ
vegetarians do not only worry about eating animals and feeling bad about it.

some are religiously motivated.

again, others think of the economic difficulties - stopping world hunger by feeding humans instead of animals which are only raised to be eaten themselves.

lastly, some are concerned about the environmental issues of keeping livestock, from brazilian rain forest being destroyed for new farmland to methane gas naturally produced by the animals which can affect our climate.

of course, some think eating too much meat, or some kinds like pork, is unhealthy.
This is not a signature
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
131 IQ
Because, becoming a vegetarian is the best way to save our planet (and feed everyone).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/oct/14/un-global-food-crisis-warning

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/aug/26/food-shortages-world-vegetarianism?CMP=SOCNETTXT6966

tl;dr
"Professor Edgar Hertwich, the lead author of the report, said: "Animal products cause more damage than [producing] construction minerals such as sand or cement, plastics or metals. Biomass and crops for animals are as damaging as [burning] fossil fuels.""
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.
573 IQ
Quote by CoreysMonster
And less are bred, as well.

Which, if your issue is animal welfare, is not a problem.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
it doesnt. youve got mayb e 10% of the worlds population at most not eat meat. that does not help the cause at all. its avoiding the problem. just keep that in mind. someone else will always eat your burger you didnt buy.

No, they will buy the burger they were going to buy and I won't buy the burger I would buy.
If 10% are veggie (I don't have any statistics, so for arguments sake I will accept that), then there 10% less animals being killed for meat.

I don't understand if you are trolling here, the fact that a lot of other people do something in no way means you shouldn't avoid it, especially if you are trying to promote vegetarianism.
PrimalFeelings
Banned
70 IQ
Some people just don't feel comfortable eating an animal. For example I eat meat, but I have considered becoming a vegetarian. Not because I think I'm saving lives or anything, it's just it's a moral thing. Like for me, I can't kill an animal so do I really have the right to eat it? Probably not, but I still do. Hypocrisy!
Kozlic
Slovenia's country singer
70 IQ
Idk...when I see cows grazing on 10 acres of fresh green grass, I can't imagine that being ''horrible conditions''. Isn't that their natural habitat?

If we weren't supposed to eat them, why are they so yummy?
I'm not a chicken fan though...I eat it but still...I love eggs though. And yeah horrible conditions...I eat eggs from home grown chickens on small farms (20 chickens max) usually, because you know...VIP.
But me not eating 3 eggs a day that I usually eat, will not stop people from growing chickens for eggs.

Edit:

And one more thing VEGETARIANS!!
Can you please not torture your babies/kids with veggies only? It has been proven that kids that don't eat meat don't grow the same as kids that do eat meat.
The human race eats meat since the beginning, we need it. You can say that you get enough proteins from vegetables, but you don't get the same enzymes, some acids or some sort of stuff I can't remember...Until you can grow a steak on a tree, please stop torturing your kids. They need meat at least once a week.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Last edited by Kozlic at Apr 19, 2013,
Wolfinator-x
;
355 IQ
Moral vegetarians often strongly oppose meat industries. Vegans go the extra mile opposing anything having anything to do with the meat industry.

Vegetarians who think meat is gross (which, it is if you think about it) may just be apathetic.
Quote by PrimalFeelings
Some people just don't feel comfortable eating an animal. For example I eat meat, but I have considered becoming a vegetarian. Not because I think I'm saving lives or anything, it's just it's a moral thing. Like for me, I can't kill an animal so do I really have the right to eat it? Probably not, but I still do. Hypocrisy!
Same. In ten years I wouldn't be surprised if I am one.
Jacques-Henri
10 IQ
Quote by Kozlic
Idk...when I see cows grazing on 10 acres of fresh green grass, I can't imagine that being ''horrible conditions''. Isn't that their natural habitat?

Factory Farming.
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart
100 IQ
Well, in addition to some of the issues mentioned here...
My last GF (Now Ex) was/is a vegetarian.
And she was a DAMN GOOD COOK.

My now ex-wife (She was before the now Ex-GF) used to watch a lot of cooking shows.
(And while she was great with the various deserts, when it came to vegetables, she was REALLY bad at it).
When the cook would say, drop a lobster in a pot of boiling water, or hack the head off a fish, it made me feel very uncomfortable. In the case of the fish, sure, they were already dead, but it still made me feel uneasy just the same. All this was years before I became a vegetarian.
Fast forward a few years (Vegetarian GF was in the picture now)...
GF was a good cook and loved to cook, so when we were living together, she cooked for the both of us a lot. I cooked as well though.
Now, maybe it was the lack of meat in my diet, but beef and then pork started making me sick...

It gave me the runs

So that left chicken and seafood.
I was never real big on fish anyway, so I decided to go vegetarian at that point.

So my reasons are a mix of moral and health reasons.
willT08
Banned
211 IQ
I'd become a vegetarian if there was a large movement to for the reasons Simsimius posted. Seeing as there's not though, I will continue to enjoy meat.
severed-metal
mooderator
540 IQ
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
if you cared about the animals you would do something more than just not eat them.

This is the exact reason why research facilities were attacked. Vegetarians need to know they're doing something by passively not eating meat, or else they'll start taking it out on society.
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
90 IQ
To all those saying that they don't eat meat because of the conditions that the animals are kept in: You're forgetting one important thing.

Cruelty makes meat taste delicious. If I were breeding cattle, I'd belittle them all day long, and hand out suplexes like no tomorrow. They'd be the most tormented and delicious cattle ever to have existed.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Apr 19, 2013,
severed-metal
mooderator
540 IQ
Quote by metacarpi
Cruelty makes me taste delicious.

You are the scariest masochist I have ever encountered.
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
90 IQ
Quote by severed-metal
You are the scariest masochist I have ever encountered.

Quality typo is quality!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
10 IQ
I've said it before and I'll say it again, vegetarians are responsible for the existence of meat replacement products that apparently taste like the real thing... but how do they know that they taste like the real thing?
Obviously because they get someone who eats meat to compare the two, ergo, vegetarianism is inadvertantly causing animals to be slaughtered.
SAB-84
10 IQ
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/vegetarianism-bad-environment/

"most of the animals we eat consume grass, we don’t. We instead can take our energy from the meat that was fed something we can’t eat. By growing crops of corn, wheat or soy where there would normally be grass, we destroy those animal’s natural feeding grounds in larger and larger portions. Those animals often can’t adapt to the ecosystem change and end-up dying. Therefore, eating lots of soy, wheat or corn based products indirectly kills more animals and top soil than eating a Paleo diet with lots of meat."

That is all.
Last edited by SAB-84 at Apr 19, 2013,
willT08
Banned
211 IQ
Oh, when are we gonna get good properly synthetic meat?

As in, meat grown using the DNA of cows, pigs etc?

Because that would solve everyone's shit
Guodlca
Registered Abuser
183 IQ
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Okay. 25% of the worlds population becomes vegetarian today. Do you still serve just as much from now on? No, because 25% is quite alot?
At what percent does it become noticeable then? 5, 10, 15%?
You can't just set a percentage at which it becomes noticeable and at that point it does actually decrease the production of meat.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.
573 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I've said it before and I'll say it again, vegetarians are responsible for the existence of meat replacement products that apparently taste like the real thing... but how do they know that they taste like the real thing?
Obviously because they get someone who eats meat to compare the two, ergo, vegetarianism is inadvertantly causing animals to be slaughtered.

That's ridiculous. It's like saying people shouldn't look for alternative fuels to oil as to compare they need oil.
For a start, you could ask non-vegetarians or ex-meat eaters to compare, neither of which would be consuming more meat than normal. Secondly, the point of these products is to minimise future consumption of meat. A lot of people could accept one wrong to avoid a massive number more future wrongs.

Quote by SAB-84

That article is ridiculous.

"Who are we as a species, after all, to decide that we should break the natural food-chain?"

- this is one of the worst arguments you regularly see against vegetarianism. Appeals to nature like this are simply ridiculous.

"Most herbivores have to eat slowly all day long and have a digestive system to digest cellulose by a fermentation process. This job often requires more than one stomach. Comparatively, most carnivores can eat more infrequently and will stay well fed for a much longer period of time after eating, This is a good thing because they can survive for a couple of days if they don’t make any kills for a while."

- this is a problem the human species avoided by cooking food. If eating raw food you have to keep eating, however humans started cooking their food so it was more easily digested and so this wasn't a problem.

"Next up is the fact that what’s destroying the environment more than anything right now is our industrial farming practices and especially the big mono-cultures like wheat, corn and soy. Agriculture is the industry that consumes the most oil if you think about all the machinery used and food transportation needed. Therefore, the importance of eating locally produced meat and locally grown vegetables and fruits, when available, is huge.

- this is against eating food shipped in from afar, not against vegetarian diets. In any case, I do not believe that the transport and harvesting footprint of crops is more than animals. Animals require just as much transportation as crops, and need food shipped to them anyway.

"Knowing that, it’s not wise to eat grains and grain derived products because most of the production of those grains is actually killing the top soil instead of feeding it. The soils become less and less fertile year after year. Most organic and animal friendly farms will try to produce with the help of the soil instead of against it."

- this is the point of crop rotation. Different crops use different minerals so are rotated so that the top soil isn't drained. That's just a basic principle of agriculture.

"Lastly, most of the animals we eat consume grass, we don’t. We instead can take our energy from the meat that was fed something we can’t eat. By growing crops of corn, wheat or soy where there would normally be grass, we destroy those animal’s natural feeding grounds in larger and larger portions. Those animals often can’t adapt to the ecosystem change and end-up dying."

- the animals eating the grass are the ones we breed to eat... They wouldn't die off in massive number if we changed the fields to other crops, they wouldn't be there at all. Filling fields with crops isn't taking land from wild animals, those animals are only there to eat.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Apr 19, 2013,
LeakyFlask
onaarq
131 IQ
Didn't jrcsgtpeppers use to be fairly reasonable? Looking at his avatar I feel like I used to read his posts and quite enjoy them, or at least not cringe from them. Now he's been consistently stoned for months, makes way too many poorly formulated threads about metaphysical matters and seems to be unable to grasp rather simple concepts like supply and demand.

He's like a living, breathing anti-drug campaign.
REGGIE
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
90 IQ
Most vegetarians love the environment and countryside.

I can't help thinking there'd be more of it if they'd just stop eating it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
40 IQ
the correct incorrect spelling is vegetablearian
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!
160 IQ
We are designed by evolution to eat meat. That's why all the vegetarians have to eat tofu, nuts, or take protein supplements because its worse for you to not get any protein and complex amino acid chains. Animals are the only food source that contain all of the amino acids, those that don't eat animals have to play mix and match if they want all the essential (not produced naturally in our bodies) amino acids.

And meat just tastes so damn good.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
10 IQ
Quote by captainsnazz
also health reasons

You know, there are good arguments in support of veganism. This isn't one of them.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
LeakyFlask
onaarq
131 IQ
I don't eat meat but I do it simply for personal reasons, meaning I don't go around promoting it as a superior way of living. I started getting slightly uncomfortable eating meat and I didn't really care that much for it anyways (with the exception of black pudding) so I figured I might as well see what it's like not to. If I end up living closer to nature or what have you, and not in a high-rise canyon far from where the would-be meat actually live I could see myself eating it again.
Right now I feel better off without it though, and I really can't see what's so provoking about it. To each their own, as we say.
REGGIE
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
10 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Mind<=blown.
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.
573 IQ
Quote by VanTheKraut
We are designed by evolution to eat meat. That's why all the vegetarians have to eat tofu, nuts, or take protein supplements because its worse for you to not get any protein and complex amino acid chains. Animals are the only food source that contain all of the amino acids, those that don't eat animals have to play mix and match if they want all the essential (not produced naturally in our bodies) amino acids.

And meat just tastes so damn good.

No, due to the way we have evolved we require certain nutrients, evolution doesn't dictate we must eat meat. In fact you just said it yourself, we can get all these nutrients elsewhere.

Meat does taste great though (well not all meat obviously, but that goes for anything).
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
10 IQ
Quote by MadClownDisease
No, due to the way we have evolved we require certain nutrients, evolution doesn't dictate we must eat meat. In fact you just said it yourself, we can get all these nutrients elsewhere.

Meat does taste great though (well not all meat obviously, but that goes for anything).

There's no type of lettuce that tastes as good as bacon.

I've never understood the 'we evolved to eat meat' argument. Not because of the issues you posed, but because if you're going to take an evolutionary perspective then there's no reason to act even slightly morally towards other animals, so the 'we need the nutrients' argument is erroneous.
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
90 IQ
Quote by MadClownDisease

True, but given the way our teeth have evolved to include incisors, it's pretty clear that meat has been a stpale part of the human diet for 1,000's of years.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!
160 IQ
Quote by metacarpi
True, but given the way our teeth have evolved to include incisors, it's pretty clear that meat has been a stpale part of the human diet for 1,000's of years.

I don't know, bro. Sometimes those apples fight back, you gotta go right for the throat.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Page 1 of 4