Hi there,
My Bogner Alchemist combo has a very good tone, but the distortion channel sometimes seems to compressed and has no bright in there, any opinion?
I was thinking in a tube screamer maybe.. idk
You've described the Alchemist pretty well. It is a dark amp. A tubescreamer type boost will definitely help. I would also experiment with higher quality Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 and invest in a JAN Phillips 5751 (12AX7 replacement) for your phase inverter slot (the preamp tube before the power section).
Thanks man! i'll look at my local store for the tubes and try to know a little more about other options.
You can get a Digitech Bad Monkey OD for $30-$50 (used vs new) and they are a decent tubescreamer clone. We typically use these as boosts only (especially for metal). What that means is you set the Gain to '0' and Level to '10'. The Bad Monkey is pretty transparent meaning it won't color your tone much. Other pedals, like the Ibanez and Maxon type ODs will give you a bit of mid frequency bump (not bad either). There are also some other ODs that are great too if you want to spend more money.

I typically do not buy tubes from stores.

Go to:

www.dougstubes.com
www.tubedepot.com
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 19, 2013,
an sd1 might be better than a ts as it's very similar but has slightly more bite and fizz in the treble.

or something more transparent like a timmy or a bluesbreaker.

up to you, really. what speakers are you using with it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?