Hey, So I have looked around on the forums for this and none have helped me in anyway.

I have been playing guitar for about 2 years ish, last year more dedicated, but i can never seem to hold the pick right I will get a great grip on it for a few songs at the most but once i change strum style it goes all wonky,

I use a 1.6mm pick i find it comfey but I think its my technique that is bad,

Any advice that would help me to hold it more firmly would be excellent.

Thanks,

Reece
Without seeing you play this is about the best it's going to get in terms of advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hey, Thanks for the advice vid but I hold my guitar the way that he does show its just it always seems to fall out or not have enough room to get the stings or have to much room and just fallout of my hand or just not hit the stings right :/
You Can't Kill Rock and Roll!
Ok, one simple question: why are you changing the way you hold the pick/strum? You mention that this is when things go wrong in your first post so, why are you doing this?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It not so much a change or how i hold the pick, I meant like rhythm wise from say picking to actual strumming (not sure if this makes sense :/ )
Ok, then what changes at that point? Basically I want you to think about why this is happening for yourself since I can't tell you without seeing how you play.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I think it is because i use 2 different techniques one for strumming and then one for picking,

I "think" that the change between them may be the cause, when i pick its middle of thumb to middle of index where as strumming is as that video showed,

would it help if i just sat down with the pick and went to and from each technique?
Practice, dude. I know it's a cliche but I used to drop the pick a lot or it would slip down my fingers. 14 years later it feels like it's a part of my hand when i play now, I don't even notice it's there anymore. Practice hard and fast rhythms while maintaining a relaxed grip on the pick. Too much tension in the hands never does anything good for either your strumming or fretting.
Quote by xstatic44
Practice, dude. I know it's a cliche but I used to drop the pick a lot or it would slip down my fingers. 14 years later it feels like it's a part of my hand when i play now, I don't even notice it's there anymore. Practice hard and fast rhythms while maintaining a relaxed grip on the pick. Too much tension in the hands never does anything good for either your strumming or fretting.

Alright Thanks its just been bugging me, thinking im doing something wrong, but thanks
Quote by reece1121
I think it is because i use 2 different techniques one for strumming and then one for picking,

I "think" that the change between them may be the cause, when i pick its middle of thumb to middle of index where as strumming is as that video showed,

would it help if i just sat down with the pick and went to and from each technique?

Pick one and stick with it. Seriously, inconsistency is one of the biggest problems that people have with things like this. Personally I would say you should pick as Freepower demonstrates in the video but having consistency in what you do is more important; adding a change in what you do is adding a point of failure which, as you've seen, can easily lead to relatively major issues.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by reece1121
It not so much a change or how i hold the pick, I meant like rhythm wise from say picking to actual strumming (not sure if this makes sense :/ )

My picking grip doesn't change at all between picking and strumming - the only time it alters really is if I want to force a harmonic, but even then the grip itself doesn't really change, it's more a redistribution of thumb pressure.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright I will just pick one and stick with it and try to get it down pat thanks for your help
I seem to be having sort of the same problem. The way I hold my pick for down strokes, is different than the way I hold it for (attempting) alternate picking, otherwise it just slips through my fingers. So from what I've read here, I should be holding the pick the same way with both techniques?
Yes.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.