Anyone know some good, cheap guitar pickups? I'm considering starting a new guitar build, but want to keep the budget nice and low. I don't want to spend more than $100 on the pickups. Any ideas?

I've been looking at GFS pickups, and they seem to fit perfectly in my budget - anyone have any experience with them?

FYI, I mainly play metal; Machine Head, Lamb of God, Megadeth, Metallica and so on. I play through POD Farm some of the time, also a Blackstar HT-1 with a HT-Metal pedal. Happy to consider passives and actives - just looking for ideas at the moment.

Cheers
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
I have the GFS Fat Pat bridge in an old LP clone and I really like it. There was a Dimarzio super distortion in it origionaly and I like the GFS better.

I have used the VEH bridge and that is pretty nice also for Hi-gain tones

I have a set of the Lil' puncher hot lead pickups in a tele build and they are diecent.

I play music like Strung Out, Helloween, Mastadon, Sick of it All and the GFS pickups work just fine for me.

Iron Gear pickups get pretty good reviews also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks man,
I'll have a look at Iron Gear
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
I have a GFS retrotron copy in a flying V copy with a PAF in the bridge and i really like the jangle as well as the bite. I also replaced the pickups in a strat copy with the ones from the non gfs section of the site and im really happy with those as well.
I have the GFS Liverpool pickups in a hollowbody and they have a strong hard rock sound. Pretty nice
guitarpartsonline.com has some pretty low cost pickups. I haven't heard them but I think they're pretty good for the price
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
guitarpartsonline.com has some pretty low cost pickups. I haven't heard them but I think they're pretty good for the price

Explain your logic, how do you think they are good for the price if you have never heard them?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like Iron Gear could be the way to go.
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Quote by OliOsbourne

The company use to be called Dragonfire Guitars, some of the pickups they sell are the same ones as guitarheads and GFS.
I was going to use dragon fire pickups in my strat until a friend offered me a fender set for the same price. In my research they seemed good. I may still use them in something yet.
I buy cheap no-name pickups from China. They work just fine. But I have lots of guitars, so if I cant find the sound I want right now, in the guitar I am holding, I grab a different guitar. If you have only one guitar I guess you have to be a little picky. But one guitar is SO limiting. Do you only want one kind of sound? I have several amps to choose from too, and the amp makes a huge difference. Mostly I use the little Vox Mini3 or the Line 6 because they have lots of different settings, but sometimes I grab one of the vintage units for a few minutes. Most of my gear is inexpensive; only one guitar was bought new. I like getting something cheap that has issues and I keep fixing until they feel and sound good. Fixing is just as much fun as playing.
Dragonfire/TNT Guitars is a RIPOFF. They screwed me out of $50 and refused to even talk to me about why I didn't get my order. DO NOT BUY DRAGONFIRE PUPS!! Guitarheads are cheap and sound great
entwistle pickups are very cheap but they sound really nice too. they have a dimarzio sd copy that is like less than 30 euro's.
Quote by Darkdevil725
The company use to be called Dragonfire Guitars, some of the pickups they sell are the same ones as guitarheads and GFS.

No, GFS has their pickups custom wound to their specs. They are diffrent
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate