Hey guys,

so i was playing yesterday and i noticed lots of laquer is peeling off the maple neck on my strat, as in big pieces were falling off in my hands.

(Invalid img)

Those bits on my leg are all pieces of laquer.
The dark spot is where it had worn through a while ago but now it's come off all around that, all of the first and various places up the neck.

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

I moved all of my gear into a rented practice room a few months ago. I'm thinking that because it's colder in there than in my house, the wood has shrunk and so the laquer has become loose?

So, how bad is this? The fact that it's all come off at once is really worrying me.
I don't sweat loads when i play but my hands definitely aren't bone dry so is this going to cause a problem?
I like the way it looks at least, getting a road worn guitar without cheating hah, but I don't want it to cause problems in the future.

Thanks for any help!
I like a neck without a finish.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Me too hah, I just want to make sure that it's not going to cause any issues down the line!
I don't think you'd see any issue anytime soon, so just enjoy your non cheat worn out look and feel.
99% of Fenders have a Poly finish not laquer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a guitar with no finish on the neck. It feels so beautiful.

With no finish you will want to be careful not to leave your guitar out in the rain, and perhaps even think about not bringing it to the dinner table if you are having spagetti or pulled pork sandwiches.

Seriously, you shouldn't be playing with dirty hands and thinking its OK just because your neck has lacquer or poly on it. Human oils are not bad for wood. Hmmm, thinking about that, human oil is probably not good for lacquer.