hey guys, I created a nice picking pattern for a song and used one of the many triad-like positions on the last three strings but I don't exactly know what the name of this chord is.

---5---
---3---
---4---
-------
-------
-------

I think its An A with a suspended 2nd and a 4th but that doesn't make sense to me.
Im kind of a noob at theory I guess you could say. What would the name of this chord be?
The Overflow+READ=zombies.

"if the individual has the right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny." -Benjamin R Tucker
Depends on the context, but Bm7(no 5) makes the most sense to me. Maybe D5add9??? What kind of progression is it being used in?
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
I agree with J-Dawg, what are the other notes in the song? With only those notes and no key you can't figure out the chord. Many chords are closed with an octave of the root so if you were playing the open D or letting it resonate then it would probably be D5add6.
Last edited by ToneMasterDelux at Apr 21, 2013,
Your notes are B, D, and A.

That doesn't spell any triad so there's no obvious answer. There many chords which could contain those notes, for example Bm7 as J-Dawg said, also Gadd9 is possible (although the G isn't present).

You'd need to put the notes in the context of the rest of the tune to make a better judgement.
Luke Mosse Guitar Teacher in Bristol, UK
the song isn't done yet so I don't have much to go on yet unfortunately. but Im using a G that looks like
-3---
-3---
-4---
-----
-----
-----

right after it

Im not entirely sure where its gunna go. I was just messing around and might turn the two chords into a song
The Overflow+READ=zombies.

"if the individual has the right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny." -Benjamin R Tucker
Quote by hiwaychild1
the song isn't done yet so I don't have much to go on yet unfortunately.
Im not entirely sure where its gunna go. I was just messing around and might turn the two chords into a song

Then assuming you are writing in the key of G major or D major (the only chords given), I would call it D5add6.

Again you need a key, and the chord name would change unless you stayed inside of one of those keys. Why do you want a chord name so badly? Why can't it just be an arrangement of notes?
Last edited by ToneMasterDelux at Apr 21, 2013,
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
Why do you want a chord name so badly?

While it is true that changing the name of a chord to another synonym doesn't really affect its sound, a short concise name could be helpful especially if you've got a songbook/scrapbook/composition/masterpeace in front of you.

xxx435 (??? B,D,A) B(b3, b7) Bm7(no 5) D5(add6) Asus4sus2 Gadd9(no root)
LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC... I REMEMBER... LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC...

There still are a lot of unconventional chords without formal names especially if you play keyboards.
Last edited by ha_asgag at Apr 21, 2013,
Quote by J-Dawg158
Depends on the context, but Bm7(no 5) makes the most sense to me. Maybe D5add9??? What kind of progression is it being used in?

Im agreeing with the Bmin7. At the end of the day, it doesnt really matter what you call it as long as you know what notes will work with those chords. But those three notes in the progression of B D A would be Bmin7.
Quote by ha_asgag
While it is true that changing the name of a chord to another synonym doesn't really affect its sound, a short concise name could be helpful especially if you've got a songbook/scrapbook/composition/masterpeace in front of you.

xxx435 (??? B,D,A) B(b3, b7) Bm7(no 5) D5(add6) Asus4sus2 Gadd9(no root)
LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC... I REMEMBER... LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC LYRIC...

There still are a lot of unconventional chords without formal names especially if you play keyboards.

My bad, it is D5add6, mixed the keys of D and A together.

What I'm saying though is why name it if you haven't figured out a key yet... Especially when other players/ your vocals may add notes to the composition that complete the chord.
(ex. F# making it a DMaj6)

My advice: if you want to notate it, do it right and just take down the tabs or note names until you have enough to establish a solid key (or just choose a key and choose from it)
Quote by Kyle Sousa
Im agreeing with the Bmin7. At the end of the day, it doesnt really matter what you call it as long as you know what notes will work with those chords. But those three notes in the progression of B D A would be Bmin7.

Not necessicarily, like ha_asgag said it could be omitting any number of intervals. The order of notes doesn't make it Bmin7, you need to take into account inversions.