Page 1 of 2
Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Kind of an odd question, I know, but this is actually something I think about from time to time.

I'm not that great of a player, but I still LOVE guitars and I'm probably more of a collector at the moment than a player.

I love the mystique of old guitars. I think about all the time and effort I put into caring for them and playing them; theyre becoming extensions of me as a person. I believe that people can "impression" themselves on objects and items.
All that said, I have some decent guitars that I feel will only improve (to me at least) with age and become more sentimental etc. Once I'm dead and gone, I want to know what my guitars are doing! Yes, crazy, I know!

I have 2 boys that I'd love to pass these instuments on to provided they keep them in the family and DONT SELL THEM! Right now they have no interest in guitars. Maybe that will change one day? My wife said she would SELL THEM, but that just broke my heart. What if some jerk buys them and treats them like crap? At that point I told her to just bury the guitar with me (well cremate--I want to be burned).

Is that wrong??? LOL

I have:

-Awesome Roadworn Strat with upgrades. Its my best feeling guitar. Neck was hand rolled by a good friend and local luthier. Butter...

-Beautiful American Deluxe Strat. Its my best looking guitar.

-Drool worthy Sonic blue 59 AVRI Strat. This is the go to the grave guitar. This thing has it all. Looks, feel, sound. Great guitar that I would love to see live on with one of my kids, but if not, Im taking it to the grave!

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Axe Murderer at Apr 19, 2013,
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
I want my guitars to be passed down to my children.

I don't think there's anything wrong with owning a guitar that was once owned by someone who is dead. If it wasn't going to be owned by you, it might have been destroyed with the death of the person.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 19, 2013,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
My kids will get every one, but I have played with the idea of being buried with my LP clone (it was my first guitar 1994)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 19, 2013,
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!
2,762 IQ
I hope I manage to sell them by then. They're just hunks of wood with strings attached, not people.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Apr 19, 2013,
Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Quote by VanTheKraut
I hope I manage to sell them by then. They're just hunks of wood with strings attached, not people.

True, but you dont think about the time you have spent "connected" (both literally and figuratively) to said hunks of wood and strings?

Most items are just items, and yet we have human sentiment for a reason...
theScapegoat
104 IQ
I would sell them to the local musicstore so some other people will love them just as much as i did, except for my favorite, i want us to be cremated.
supersac
Tab Contributor
630 IQ
pass down to my family

give them to people
i wouldnt want my guitars to go with me

thats selfish to the guitars they are meant to be played and its not their fault i have a shorter lifespan than they do
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,278 IQ
If anyone within my family wants them, they can have them.

If not, they can sell them and get money for it. I like to think in that case they'd go to a good home, where someone will enjoy them as much as i do right now. But if not.. well, i'm not gonna care, am i? i'll be dead.

In fact if i get so old that i'm physically unable to play, therefore unable to enjoy them, i'll probably just get rid of them myself. Looking at it with foresight makes it seem like it'll be really hard to let them go, but i guess i'll cross that bridge when i come to it. Hopefully i've got at least another 60 years before i need to worry about it though

70 if i'm gonna be really optimistic and use les paul as an example
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
The logical answer is to sell them, but for me that depends on a number of factors. If my wife and I have a kid, I would hope that he or she would take to music and make the most out of playing them. If we don't, and I pass away before my oldest brother, he'll get a couple of them (since he plays), and my wife can pick those that she wants. Should I die young and my parents are still around, they will be divided between my wife, parents, and oldest brother.

Sometimes the logical way is a bit cold. The memories that I have with these guitars die with me, but the memories my family has of me with these guitars can live on.
OffsetOffset
BoneAndDream
568 IQ
I want my guitar to be buried with me
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12
zackk
608 IQ
When I die, I want to be buried with all of my valuable possessions.
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
Hopefully one day, I will have kids and they will hopefully play so they can have them on the condition they dont sell them unless they fall on hard times.

I want to be buried with my Epiphone Les Paul though. That one stays with me always <3
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,542 IQ
you guys are wasteful. you will rot when you die, needlessly desecrating a guitar that could have inspired somebody else to play.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah
166 IQ
Play on their own to freak people out.
you're never as free as when you are lost
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
you guys are wasteful. you will rot when you die, needlessly desecrating a guitar that could have inspired somebody else to play.

Its a spiritual thing. As much as I would love kids to play guitar and get inspired, my LP has been a part of my life for nearly 10 years and hopefully, until I snuff it. I couldnt trust anyone else with it.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck
845 IQ
I'd love my daughter to keep them and play them but if she doesn't want them: sell them and but something she wants. Guitars are my thing - if the family don't want them I'd rather some kid bought them and had some fun than they sat and gathered dust.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
I don't really see the value of getting rid of such personal possessions just by selling them when I die. What's the point of money when I'm dead? It doesn't make much sense to me from that perspective. I'll just hand them down to my family and the instrument's life will carry on from there.

I think in that situation it can be more rewarding to follow what would make you happy, even if it won't necessarily be the most logical path to take.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 19, 2013,
sideslick
Teenage Accident
1,413 IQ
I have a PoS Squier Affinity Strat that was my first electric.

I want to be buried with it. No matter how crappy and unable to hold tune it gets, it's still my first electric. It's useless to anyone who wants to learn, so nothing more of any musical value (other than me... not really, LOL) would be lost.

My baby that is my Spalted Telecaster should be passed to someone who will play it. It's been my main for longer than my Strat.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
man, I'm so sad I made this thread now after seeing those shake shack burgers. I would buy an extra just to fuck it while I eat its siblings. then i'd eat that one too.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
JKHC
918 IQ
Quote by Blompcube
If anyone within my family wants them, they can have them.

If not, they can sell them and get money for it.

This.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
It depends.

If I grow to an old age I'll have some old guitars.

I'm sure my kids or Grandkids will play and I'll probably pass them on.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
No kids, currently, nor any significant other. Because of this, I have no will: were I to die right now, everything would go to my parents. At some point, I will have a will, and probably a few other testamentary documents. I have told my mom what I would do with my instruments if I did have a will.

Assuming there is no one who I feel deserves them, I intend to have my instrument collection used in one or more school music programs, possibly as part of a scholarship program. The main question to me is how they would be held- IOW, would the instruments be donated to a particular school or programs, or would there be a trust that holds the instruments, and distributes them to worthy applicants to use as part of a scholarship.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Slap-happy
994 IQ
Leave them to someone who appreciates and plays decent guitars.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
I will never die.

That's because you've been dead for 5 years already :p

I will probably just give them to one of my friends or something. It's up to them what they decide to do with it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
i would pass my guitars and amps down to my children someday,

but i will donate my brass instruments to my middle school all the way up in Minnesota.
some of my instruments are quite valuable but i would like to know that they would be appreciated, and where i was there it was a poorer area, where parents couldn't find the funds for their children's instruments, and have them be provided with them.

my most valuable trumpet would go back to the friend who gave it to me earlier this year. i was 1st chair the whole way and he was 2nd. and we grew up together from age five. it is probably worth $3k+ as it is vintage.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Has anyone else found the question asked by the TS kinda suspicious considering his name?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

RGallagherFan
UG's only Treble Booster
1,615 IQ
Either to my kids (if I have any) or..............

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
He kills axes, so what?

Wait..."axe" is slang for guitar...HE KILLS GUITARS!!!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
63 IQ
sold for crack money? what the **** would i care, id be dead
cdhowell
23 IQ
Have never seen a U-Haul following a hearse. Can't take em with me, When I'm gone, I hope someone else enjoys playing them, or can help out a family member get some money.
Guitars and Motorcycles
hallowedshred
170 IQ
This may be slightly off topic, but I once played a dead mans guitar. He had left it to his best friend, and it had sat collecting dust for years because he couldn't bear to play it. I was over one day and he had me string 'er up and plug it in. He wanted to hear it again, but couldn't bear to play it himself. Take what you will from this, but I swear that guitar had more mojo than anything I've ever played up until then, or since.
rander7917
200 IQ
I actually have this all written in my will. (it's a pretty short will since the only valuables I have are my guitars

My favorite strat that my grandpa gave me goes to my dad for safe keeping until someone wants it

My old acoustic because I don't trust her not to put it on hock

My new strat goes to my cousin because she's the only one who plays that's family

And my malibu ce goes to my nephew I hopes he'll be more likely to pick it up if it's something smaller
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Putting on my wills & estate hat for a minute- make sure you have some kind of conditional distribution plan in your will as well.

If a testamentary gift fails because the intended recipient predeceases the testator (or is treated as having done so for legal reasons), and there is no alternative disposition, that gift will be treated as passing by intestacy in many states.

alhaq369
EspTro
3,642 IQ
use to wood to build a casket for me
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
Has anyone else found the question asked by the TS kinda suspicious considering his name?

Hahahah!! Umm...
Banjocal
UG's only only
1,174 IQ
Whoever would get best use out of them. If my kids would just let them lay in a closet, they can **** off.
sewkid
10 IQ
What do you want to happen to your guitar(s) when you die?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have given this question some thought for quite a while as I am getting closer to death with every day that live. Of my three children, the youngest has shown some interest in a guitar. He bought a $25 jewel some 30 years ago and I replaced it a few years later with a $112 Strat copy. He plays for his own enjoyment and still plays that guitar today.
I bought my 1959 Jazzmaster new thinking I might learn how to play. After about 4 years I realized that wasn’t going to happen so I put it under the bed. I let him play it an hour or so from time to time over the past several years thinking he might get an attachment to it. I have told him that it is his when I die if I don’t sell it first. He has always said “sell it”.
I bought a 2000 American Standard Strat new in 2000. I unpacked it, removed all the protective coverings, installed the whammy bar, strummed it a time or two to see if everything worked, put it back in the case with all the paper work, then back in the box it came in, then stored it in the back of my closet. I haven’t seen thet guitar since tucked away on 2000. There is a note on it giving it to him. One way or another, I will be leaving at least one, if not both, of “my” guitars along with amps & effects to him.