Simple question. The title says it all. Basically I see some people that say five strings are stupid and unnecessary ('oh well Jaco and Billy Sheehan only uses four), but I see people like Nolly from Periphery tuning a six string with two low strings to get an F#. I have even seen the bassist from Hacktivist using two lower string with the F# tuned down to E giving him drop E one octave bellow the the fourth string! - note I am not getting started on all the 12 string ERBs that tune to low C0 twelve octaves bellow whale song.
Personally I cant see anything bellow G# (five string drop A down a semitone or three semitones bellow the B string) being audible and definitely not in a mix.
This is not a discussion of what is audible, but rather, how far would YOU tune.

To answer my own question. I have my five string in drop G# with a 35".
LeakyFlask
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
I don't really have any need to go lower than B-E-A-D, and 99% of the time I'm in standard or drop D.

I think I might like a 5-er sometime though so I can have a high C.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I feel the same about a 5 with a high c^

to be honest, the only time i play in drop tunings for the most-part is when i'm playing along to stuff in my room.

the band I'm in just plays in standard tuning, but if I were in a band that used drop tunings I would probably tune to the guitarists' lowest string. Whether that's a B or an F#, is simple that way. In a band setting at such a low tuning as one of the two I just mentioned, there's so much bass frequencies fighting for space that it's the boom from the bass guitar which is important, not so much the clarity (to me, anyway)
on a bass ive never had much reason to tune lower than drop D

or D standard
but then again i dont play much of the tuned down chug chug type of music

tuned a fretless bass down to Cstandard one for shits and giggles once
i regret nothing
I've never had the need to go lower than A# (all guitars were always tuned 1/2 below standard). I use a 5 string and most of the time I didn't use the lower notes much just for some accents unless it was the few songs the guitar player used a 7 string. I used the extra low string mostly to keep my hand position lower on the neck which was nice as I have short arms.
with my band i'll go to drop A for a few songs, but given absolute control, i'd just play beadg.
stndrd fo' lyf.
i do have a bass in half a step down as well which feels very nice to play in though
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Also Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord is tuned F#BEA. Funny thing, Meshuggah bassist has his bass tuned a half step up, to match 8 string guitars with their F as the lowest string.
Quote by Zaqq
Also Warwick Vampyre Dark Lord is tuned F#BEA. Funny thing, Meshuggah bassist has his bass tuned a half step up, to match 8 string guitars with their F as the lowest string.

they sound pretty nice if used well

thing is people knock drop tuning but the problem with that is if you close your mind to an abused technique or approach you limit yourself creatively, when in fact you could do something good with it. Double basses in orchestras are, IIRC, an E below your standard bass guitar, and there are sludge bands that sound amazing when tuned ridiculously low. Bands like Sunn and Monarch! usually play in A/low E but they've been known to go lower and it just makes the atmosphere crushing.

but people always associate drop tuning with SO BROOTAL because they're stupid.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
they sound pretty nice if used well

thing is people knock drop tuning but the problem with that is if you close your mind to an abused technique or approach you limit yourself creatively, when in fact you could do something good with it. Double basses in orchestras are, IIRC, an E below your standard bass guitar, and there are sludge bands that sound amazing when tuned ridiculously low. Bands like Sunn and Monarch! usually play in A/low E but they've been known to go lower and it just makes the atmosphere crushing.

but people always associate drop tuning with SO BROOTAL because they're stupid.

Double bass is in thesame register as bass guitar.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Double bass is in thesame register as bass guitar.

Yup, and both are written an octave above where they actually play.
Quote by chatterbox272
Yup, and both are written an octave above where they actually play.

Ah. I don't do reading comprehension it seems. Must've misread.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Lazy composers not wanting to write extra staves...

And the lazy musicians not wanting to read all those lines below. Same philosophy behind tenor clef.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!