between the expected and actual
was like that time I came to you, ready
to say goodbye for good, for you had been
a cold front yourself lately, and as I walked in
you laughed and lifted me up in your arms
as if I too were lacy with spring
instead of middle aged like the camellias,
and I thought: so this is Poetry!

What is the meaning of this? What literary elements does the dude use to do what she wants to do? This is very important
Last edited by ch1ng_chung at Apr 20, 2013,
i would but your name isn't racist enough
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by whywefight
i would but your username is really racist

Hey, that could be his real name for all you know.
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Poetry isn't about fancy or flower language, nor is it all about holding proper meter and diction. Utilizing common language as well as more superfluous language gives you variation and tension. Tension and release, like in music, is very important in literature. Having a poem that's very lyrical and has complex language in the beginning can be improved by common language. The change can accent and bring attention to certain lines or words. The expectation of more complex language clashes with what is actually happening, common language, and makes you read some things differently as well as cause tension.

tl;dr poetry isn't about being proper and complex. It takes variation and careful crafting.

Do your own homework next time.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ch1ng_chung

What literary elements does the dude use to do what she wants to do? This is very important

4/20 kills, folks.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Oh look someone pretending to be chung.

My first thought.
Sail upon the open skies
it means global warming
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
hi chung

Just got back, and what have we here? An entire thread dedicated to insulting me? How polite of the UG forum!

Poetry isn't about fancy or flower language, nor is it all about holding proper meter and diction. Utilizing common language as well as more superfluous language gives you variation and tension. Tension and release, like in music, is very important in literature. Having a poem that's very lyrical and has complex language in the beginning can be improved by common language. The change can accent and bring attention to certain lines or words. The expectation of more complex language clashes with what is actually happening, common language, and makes you read some things differently as well as cause tension.

tl;dr poetry isn't about being proper and complex. It takes variation and careful crafting.

Wow, I'm horrible with poetry.

What does the part that says

"and the tension I felt
and I thought: so this is Poetry!"

mean?

By the way, this is for the SAT II Literature Test, which tests high-school students on their ability to comprehend archaic poetry and stuff like that, and I couldn't find any explanation for this poem, which appears almost every time on the test.
Quote by ch1ng_chung
Just got back, and what have we here? An entire thread dedicated to insulting me? How polite of the UG forum!

Wow, I'm horrible with poetry.

What does the part that says

"and the tension I felt
and I thought: so this is Poetry!"

mean?

By the way, this is for the SAT II Literature Test, which tests high-school students on their ability to comprehend archaic poetry and stuff like that, and I couldn't find any explanation for this poem, which appears almost every time on the test.

the poet is using weather as a metaphor for the dynamics of his or her relationship with someone; this relationship had been 'cold,' but on this occasion the poet was surprised to be treated warmly. this surprise is analogous to the pleasurable surprises that constitute poetry, which is the main theme of the poem.

maybe some one can help me now? i am studying for the sat test too, and what does this poem mean?

my pomeranian tiger
comes to rest
at my shoulder
bearing bad news
of the war
in iraq

and my beloved tiger
with his streaks of
narrow silver
he reminds me
of the middle
of the road
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Apr 22, 2013,
Do it yourself, bro.

Protip: Poetry rarely has definite meaning. It's interpretation.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It doesn't mean anything, no poems do.
They're just random sentences.
The people who write them sit back and laugh at peoples interpretations of them.

Frogs glistening in the sun.
The world speeding evermore towards eternity.
Gone are the prospects of people and their sanity.
All through the forest the sound of time, caressing, beating, consuming.
The wheels on the bus go round and round.

I am a table.
Quote by kertets
The people who write them sit back and laugh at peoples interpretations of them.

I am a table.

A large portion of poetry is masterfully crafted and takes a large amount of skill and dedication. The Odyssey is a poem, so is the Wasteland. Not all poetry sounds random. Even a lot of the random poetry is extremely well crafted when you start digging.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
A large portion of poetry is masterfully crafted and takes a large amount of skill and dedication. The Odyssey is a poem, so is the Wasteland. Not all poetry sounds random. Even a lot of the random poetry is extremely well crafted when you start digging.

wow your a fag
your such a drag
poetry is gay
glistening sparkle bay
the dog was a person
the rhyme pattern worsens
time to tip toe tomorrow
die in sorrow
Quote by kertets

I am a table.

Well, for the SAT II you need a definite interpretation that matches the test's

I think it's absolutely stupid that so many colleges require the Literature (AKA. poetry that I hate) test for non-Liberal or English majors. It's useful in a Law major or something like that, but what the hell does it have to do with stuff like Physics or Business, and you can argue that it's useless for Law because Law doesn't require you to understand stuff like :

Beyond the crumpets of dashes and
there lies streaks of red below
my warm heart inside and my
putrid
sed-colored
oceans jading
away from the shells until they
no longer do
no more so than what has already been none
and thus we came into one.

Oh. You wanna get beyond high school? Just give me the damn meaning of this poem, we'll see if it matches what I say, and you get it right! Oh, and after this I'll throw 10 more of these kinds of poems at you!

At least include some easy poems like Shakespeare Sonnets and stuff!

By the way, what DOES this poem mean? (the that's about the crumpets of dashes and the spaketh into one?)
Last edited by ch1ng_chung at Apr 23, 2013,
Quote by MadClownDisease
I agree, I think we've learnt today who the real racist is...

Is it Peer Pressure?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by BladeSlinger

Do your own homework next time.

Man, you should have made him do it himself this time too...
Quote by ch1ng_chung
Well, for the SAT II you need a definite interpretation that matches the test's

I think it's absolutely stupid that so many colleges require the Literature (AKA. poetry that I hate) test for non-Liberal or English majors. It's useful in a Law major or something like that, but what the hell does it have to do with stuff like Physics or Business, and you can argue that it's useless for Law because Law doesn't require you to understand stuff like :

Beyond the crumpets of dashes and
there lies streaks of red below
my warm heart inside and my
putrid
sed-colored
oceans jading
away from the shells until they
no longer do
no more so than what has already been none
and thus we came into one.

Oh. You wanna get beyond high school? Just give me the damn meaning of this poem, we'll see if it matches what I say, and you get it right! Oh, and after this I'll throw 10 more of these kinds of poems at you!

At least include some easy poems like Shakespeare Sonnets and stuff!

By the way, what DOES this poem mean? (the that's about the crumpets of dashes and the spaketh into one?)

Three years into an English major and I have no ****ing clue.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by kertets

I am a table.

You're wrong, all poems can be analyzed to find a deeper meaning, and are written for that purpose.

The writer here begins by introducing the serenity of life when we take time to notice the small things (such as the beauty of frogs). At the same time, an inevitable dash towards the end is happening, and whether or not you are the ones taking in life or running around the whole time, it's all in vain. All things physical and meta-physical will be gone, never to be remembered. Our own illusion of time stares and laughs at us, knowing that we will never be prepared, but we will always expect and get ready for the end. The wheels on the bus of life will not stop or slow down for us, why can't we realize that?

This man is the foundation to the secrets. He is the table upon which we will base our meal of eternity to feed us properly until we are strong enough to provide for ourselves once again.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by guitarmaniac88
You're wrong, all poems can be analyzed to find a deeper meaning, and are written for that purpose.

The writer here begins by introducing the serenity of life when we take time to notice the small things (such as the beauty of frogs). At the same time, an inevitable dash towards the end is happening, and whether or not you are the ones taking in life or running around the whole time, it's all in vain. All things physical and meta-physical will be gone, never to be remembered. Our own illusion of time stares and laughs at us, knowing that we will never be prepared, but we will always expect and get ready for the end. The wheels on the bus of life will not stop or slow down for us, why can't we realize that?

This man is the foundation to the secrets. He is the table upon which we will base our meal of eternity to feed us properly until we are strong enough to provide for ourselves once again.

You Structuralist pleb
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
You Structuralist pleb

You dick.

Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Why does everyone think poems are alllll about individual interpretation? They're not. Unless it's an amateur who doesn't know what he's doing, just throwing words together, a poem has a definite meaning and point that the writer intended. Poems aren't a, "What does this mean to you?" thing. Sure, it can mean something to you, but your meaning may not be the actual meaning of the poem. That is determined by the writer.

It's a middle aged woman talking about getting laid for the first time in years.

The second one is clearly a synopsis of Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret in the form of a poem.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 23, 2013,
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Why does everyone think poems are alllll about individual interpretation? They're not. Unless it's an amateur who doesn't know what he's doing, just throwing words together, a poem has a definite meaning and point that the writer intended. Poems aren't a, "What does this mean to you?" thing. Sure, it can mean something to you, but your meaning may not be the actual meaning of the poem. That is determined by the writer.

The author is dead. Meaning is construed only by the reader.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by guitarmaniac88

You see Ts, a perfect example of what I said.
I just wrote some random sentences off the top of my head and this fine guitar maniac actually did some head work and spewed out a load of horses cum about what "the poem" meant.

In fact his interpretation is so good I think I'm a fucking genius.
Quote by kertets
You see Ts, a perfect example of what I said.
I just wrote some random sentences off the top of my head and this fine guitar maniac actually did some head work and spewed out a load of horses cum about what "the poem" meant.

In fact his interpretation is so good I think I'm a fucking genius.

Pretty sure he was joking.

And the 'what do you feel this means' approach isn't accurate either. I do that in class but that's usually on stuff I didn't read and want to at least act like I did. Interpretations of any literature should be backed up with appropriate evidence. Interpreting something from a new historicist approach will require historical documents but something like deconstruction requires it be in the text. If it isn't in the text then it doesn't matter. Poetry can be discussed in a similar fashion. Many famous poems are filled with carefully hidden allusions and such. A lot of them require some knowledge of the social situation and the author's background. (Authorial intent is a fallacy and shouldn't be observed but it may be valid in some cases to color your reading with some of their biographical information.) A poem's form can color a reading, the line breaks, punctuation, diction. It can all greatly change how someone reads a poem or piece of prose. To insinuate that poetry is random and has no craft is ignorant to say the least.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls