ive used many amps, mainly 50 or 100w marshalls and because i only play pub gigs to no more than 150 people i never get to turn them up. i find that no matter what attenuator i use it just sucks the tone when attenuating alot. ive tried pedals in front of amps but it never quite sound so satisfying as a cranked amp.
thats why ive been looking into the marshall 1974x 18w combo. great reviews and it sounds amazing on youtube. was wondering if it would be loud enough un-miced for these gigs. bear in mind i play in a classic rock band so dont require headroom, just the one great overdriven sound. if anybody has this amp help me out please!
You can't get much in the way of cleans at drummer levels and a really loud drummer will drfown you out. However, on the plus side they are perhaps the most dynamic blues amp ever made by anybody anywhere, ever. I love my 18 W'ers but I wouldn't gig with one. If I was forced to because I'd blown up all my others (quite possible at the volumes I play ) I would certainly be miking it up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A decent 30 watter would probably be better. Even an AC30 with a good OD unit would get you closer to where you want to be.

Maybe an Orange AD30 would be closer in straight guitar-to-amp tone?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i doubt you'd have to mic up the 1974x for a small pub gig.

maybe, but i somehow doubt it.
Even in a small pub you have to compete with the drummer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i used to have a wem dominator 17w 1x12 combo and it was plenty loud. cant compare the 2 obviously though. maybe the matching 1974xc cab would help boost the volume?
A friend of mine had an Orange TH30, that was feckin' loud for 30watts!!! There was a recent article in one of the British guitar mags about sound levels from different amps & the AC30 was the 2nd loudest I think, behind a Fender of twice the power! It registered over 120db at aprox 1 metre. Just for comparison, they also took the level of a Top Fuel drag car at 3 metres(10 feet), with just a blip of the throttle it clocked up nearly 129db!!!!!!!!
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Quote by Cathbard

or you could work with him/her and make it work.
Quote by gregs1020

Drums are loud.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gregs1020

I don't believe you know too many drummers Greg. "Working it out" isn't a possibility. They are brutes who just beat their instrument, after all
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
They are brutes who just beat their instrument, after all

Cue drummer jokes
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I should imagine that if he's playing classic rock the drummer isn't going to be wanting to use brushes - or play with restraint for that matter. He'd get away with a 1974X as long as he doesn't want any cleans but he's still gonna have to mike it up really. They are a great little amp but they aren't that loud - they were designed to be a practice amp after all, not a gigging rig. You'd run into the same issues as you would with an AC15 - ie. "Why didn't I buy the AC30?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dementiacaptain
I don't believe you know too many drummers Greg. "Working it out" isn't a possibility. They are brutes who just beat their instrument, after all

when i saw Rutch's band (he's a UG'er that doesn't post much anymore, probably made it big. ) we talked about how quiet his drummer was. we were in a chicago bar with a pretty big room that was a bit more than half full. he wasn't that loud at all. they played classic rock and originals.

a lot of smaller local bars around chicago don't let you crank the piss out of your amp, that's kinda what i got from the TS - he couldn't turn up his higher wattage amps past two.

a bar i see people play in vegas doesn't let guys get that loud either, riffhog and i watched a great hendrix cover band where they barely got to gig volume.

these are places that have bands all the time, but they're not allowed to get so loud you can't hear the person next to you yelling at you. they own the bars, they make the rules. if you want to play there you abide.

other bigger venues you can get loud, but they have a house sound guy and quality PA system.

in any of those situations, the 1974x would be fine.

i had one, they're loud through a good 212.

i wonder what gumbi would say about it, he has my old amp.

for an overdriven tone, seems pretty ideal.

i bet you couldn't get a budda superdrive 18 watt over 4 on the master. another very loud amp.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 21, 2013,
I've played at a couple of venues that have limiters that cut all stage power if you trip a metre into the red. One place was ridiculously quiet, even my vocals were hitting the upper ambers.

The other was perfect. I played at regular gig volume and had absolutely no issues at all. Apparently there are more venues like this cropping up in Melbourne these days.

As for the TH30. I've played through one quite often. Our bassist had one (he plays guitar in other bands). Great on it's own (1x12 combo) bit out through a 2x12 - bloody loud. Good sound, too but takes a little while to match the channel volumes and get the eq spot on.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i have gigged both mic'd and unmic'd with the 18 watter i built. i played it through a orange PPC212OB, and it gets extremely loud.

most the time if i am out at a smaller bar or medium sized bar i don't need it mic'd.

some times in a medium sized bar i will run two 2x12"s (both Orange PPC212OB) if its bigger just for dispersment goes and have them over a broader area.

if they mic it obviously that is preference, but it doesn't happen everywhere.

they are loud amps, and as cath said, they are EXTREMELY dynamic amps. amazing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think I'd be telling them to shove their pub up their arse, greg.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Yeah I don't think I would play there. Great for some people, but I think "loud" is part of the rock element, it just isn't the same.

I have been to some gigs where I think they should have turned down, there was this drone band that me and my buddy literally held out fingers in our ears for their whole set.
In that situation it's understandable, but this isn't jazz, it just seems odd to expect it to be speaking volume
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The whole pub rock scene in Australia became popular with publicans because they sold more beer. If people can't talk, they'll drink. Aussie Pub Rock is a genre, the most successful product of it was AC/DC. AC/DC don't know how to play quiet and they never have. They sold a metric shitload of beer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

I know. Its just how it is up here, and its getting more and more common.

If you are going to see a concert its one thing. If its a band venue bar they have a pa. If its a small city bar they dont want it that loud.

A few places I know went acoustic only last year.
Quote by Cathbard

Use more speakers. An 18w through a 4x12 has higher SPL than a 50w through a 1x12...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have run my 18W'er through a 1960 more than a few times you do realise, no?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have run my 18W'er through a 1960 more than a few times you do realise, no?

Of course, while the response was to a quote of yours, the concept wasn't. I was simply pointing out for those that are still seemingly unaware (not you) that wattage is only one variable in the equation.

Enhance your calm, John Spartan!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by gregs1020

A few places I know went acoustic only last year.

ಠ_ಠ
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ಠ_ಠ

I'm not complaining.

You should see some of our local acts.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?