I want an amp for home/garage use. I am looking at a Crate gfx 120/212 with foot switch, looks to be in good shape for $100. A marshall valvestate vs 100 for $150 condition unknown. I play classic rock with a Les Paul and a Strat.Thanks
No. Those won't be good for what you want.

$150 isn't much to work with, are you willing to go used? Also where are located? That'd change what's available to you.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by DougMN
Thats the prices they are asking.

What? That's not what I asked.

I asked you where you're located. I'm assuming you're going used.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Go with the Marshall.

Edit: I suggest this choice just assuming that you were choosing between the two.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 21, 2013,
I use a GFX 212, bought new in 1999 or so. I don't think it does low volumes very well and while it does have two overdrive channels, it is difficult to balance the volume between them. EQ options on the overdrive channels are also limited (shared low/high/level, gain 1 and gain 2, shape for gain 2). You might just have to try it out to see if it can work for your needs. It will definitely get very loud.

It has an effects loop, but you need a special cable to use it (3-connector Y-cable to dual 2-connector). The built-in effects are ok, but very limited. I generally only use the reverb and it is not foot-switchable (at least with the 2-button switch it came with).

For $150, I'd save up a bit more and get something newer. Vypyr 30 is a 1x12 and $200 new. Looking at the EQ options on the Marshall, I'd suggest that if you're between those two only.
Last edited by black_box at Apr 21, 2013,