I have that combo, and the stock speaker is not very good. so i play it through Orange PPC 112 cabinet loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. i want to know which speaker goes well with that Vintage 30. i am planning to put a new one in Combo, and i already have external cab with Vintage 30, so what should i put in combo that works well together with Vintage 30 ? also i found hard to replace tubes, i wanted to and i unscrew all the back plate off, but i can't take the whole thing off the amp to come close to tubes.. i wanted to put Tung Soils 12AX7 as preamp tubes, and leave the power tubes JJ EL 84 in the amp. So, to come clear, which speaker does pair well in combination with Vintage 30 for this amp ? and how the hell i can replace tubes ? thanks for any suggestions, hints, answers, anything
The pick of destiny...
Just answering your question... I'd think Alnico Blues will sound lovely with that head! Not sure how it'd sound with a V30 tho.

I think there are AB copies around for lower prices if you don't wanna splurge out.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Apr 21, 2013,
Well i am deiciding for : Celestin G12H 30W or Eminence Governor or Wizard... which you think paired with Vintage 30 the best ?
The pick of destiny...
I've limited experience with speakers, so I'm not gonna comment. What genres?

I'm not certain if TungSol reissues will sound so good in the Blackheart... these tubes have high gain and a brittle top end. Try some JAN Philips or and RCA... These should brighten up your amp without sounding shrill.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I have the HD head and a tungsol in V1, sounds good. Bright but not ice picky.

The eminence gov is like a V30 no?

I run my HD head through 1x12 with a swamp thang and it sounds really good. Swamp thang might give you what the V30 can't, but I don't know if the v30 is louded enough to be paired with it. I have no experience with v30.

I have also run my HD through the same cab with a Jensen electric lightning and it sounds great.
Last edited by Grawgos at Apr 21, 2013,
what type of tones are you after? i haven't tried the blackheart but i've tried a bunch of combos with the v30.

i'd avoid the governor, though, it's eminence's version of the v30 (from what i hear- i haven't tried it). you'd just have (more or less) two v30s if you went with it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with a G12h30 type speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, i am looking for more vintage marshall british sound.. maybe i will prefer sometimes with just this combo, and i want something that is enough good in the 1x12 combo i had.. maybe the other time i would prefer with one more cab and this is already mine Orange 1x12 with Vintage 30 ..
The pick of destiny...
So, which tubes exactly would be right with that amp, i have a pair of tungsols, than a pair of electro harmonics all 12AX7 and then JJ EL 84 two power tubes waiting to replacement... did i totaly messed up the whole thing or what ? i want a little more bright sound because it's almost fuzzy ( with Vintage 30 and stock tubes ) . i play with Les Paul with Custom on the bridge and Pearly Gates on neck.. also i want a bit more gain to do early heavy metal stuff ocassionally. but i bought that amp for classic rock and blues. and i like that amp to sound more british than american. more like some marshall to be honest !
The pick of destiny...
Last edited by Sabbath_84 at Apr 21, 2013,
Get a G12h30 type speaker
I like JJ ecc83 tubes and I also like the new Mullard 12ax7.

You need a OD pedal to boost your input signal. A Digitech bad monkey is a good cheap TS type pedal. You would put level all the way up, gain 0-2 and treble and bass to taste.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Sabbath_84
So, which tubes exactly would be right with that amp, i have a pair of tungsols, than a pair of electro harmonics all 12AX7 and then JJ EL 84 two power tubes waiting to replacement... did i totaly messed up the whole thing or what ? i want a little more bright sound because it's almost fuzzy ( with Vintage 30 and stock tubes ) . i play with Les Paul with Custom on the bridge and Pearly Gates on neck.. also i want a bit more gain to do early heavy metal stuff ocassionally. but i bought that amp for classic rock and blues. and i like that amp to sound more british than american. more like some marshall to be honest !

I don't think you messed anything up. Your combo should be the same as the head, so new tubes should do wonders for it. Throw the tungsol and jj's in and start rockin. No need to bias.
Ok. but which part of the amp i must remove to get to the tubes territory ? i unscrew all the back plate and saw the electronics board.. and on the other side of that whole board are the tubes. that plate is so damn attached to the wood. that i unscrew pretty much everything but cannot get the whole plate out of the amp.... so maybe i should remove front of the amp, but there are no screws, it is attached with screws on the inside of the combo....
The pick of destiny...
And what about this spekaer combination: Vintage V30 and Eminence Wizard ?
The pick of destiny...
Are there screws in the side? I have never seen the combo before. In my head I have to unscrew the back and then four screws on the bottom to slide the plate out. There has to be screws holding it, either on the side of the amp or underneath the plate.

As for the speaker, I'm really not sure. Change the tubes first because it makes a huge difference from the stock, then tell us what it lacks and what you don't like.
Ok, i'll try it one more time. i have run the stock speaker in combo and then external Vintage 30 speaker in 1x12 cabinet i have and sound is so much fuller than with the stock speaker. definately the Vintage 30 is better sounding. i'll try again, maybe i just overlooked the bottom screws of plate
The pick of destiny...
Last edited by Sabbath_84 at Apr 22, 2013,
I really have no experience with the v30, but if you are going for vintage sound maybe a greenback or creamback.

The v30 is 100d rating and the eminence swamp thang is 103d. The swamp thang is bass heavy and may mix well with the mid heavy v30.
Quote by Sabbath_84
And what about this spekaer combination: Vintage V30 and Eminence Wizard ?

haven't tried the wizard but it may well work well as it's eminence's g12h30
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Anyway, that amp sounds good with both stock and vintage 30 speakers to me... so much better than my other Blackstar HT-5. it's more vintage sounding and more suited for classic rock.. but it can' do nothing more than early heavy metal stuff, i boosted it in 7w and 15w setting and i don't really come to thrash zone. but judas priest, saxon and stuff like that, with a Bad Monkey is good. anyway i must try some clean stuff again with my Strat to hear that beautiful cleans again.. i experiment with it now a lot.. so, later the new tubes and eminence wizard speaker in combo to sound better and matched with V30 well... can't wait !
The pick of destiny...
Last edited by Sabbath_84 at Apr 22, 2013,
EDIT: I can't replace the tubes, as i don't know how to get the whole damn plate out and come into the tube territory of the combo. i almost unscrew everything on the back and sides, in electronics board too the 4 screws, but thing is so attached to the wood that i don't know what else to do please, help !
The pick of destiny...
Last edited by Sabbath_84 at Apr 23, 2013,
you should be able to get to the tubes without going near the circuitry. you just need to get the (plywood) back off. I'm not familiar with that amp, so obviously use common sense and caution, but you can normally use a chisel or putty knife (be careful, you could injure yourself and/or damage the amp's tolex) to help pry the back off if you can't get it off with your hands.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll post the picture of that opened back plywood tommorow.. because i unscrew pretty much everything today ( about 12 or 14 screws ) and the put it back with no luck. tommorow i will open the back plywood again and post the picture of it. i am a bit tired now..
The pick of destiny...
Looking at pictures of the combo, I am assuming that the tubes are hanging down. Once you get the back plate off, you should have to take the covers off the pre amp tubes(just push up, twist and they should come off) then take off the clip things holding the power tubes in and switch the tubes. If you can get your hands on the tubes, you shouldn't have to remove the whole board/tubes from the amp enclosure.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWP5Ll6JgWQ

Is that what you are looking at with back off?
Last edited by Grawgos at Apr 23, 2013,