Ok, I have a Line 6 Pod X3 Pro that I use purely for effects, it's currently wired with my amp via the 4 cable method. I've been looking at upgrading (maybe not in some peoples opinion but in mine) from a Peavey Valveking Head to a Laney IRT 15 Studio.

Obviously I am concerned about the drop in power from 100 to 15 as my band is starting back up however I am not happy with the tone from the Valveking (I play metal, I run a boost in front etc). Original in practice and gigs I was just using a 130 watt valvestate Marshall.

What I want to know is will this work:

Guitar > Pod X3 Pro (4 cable method) > Laney IRT 15 Studio > Power amp (Marshall 8008) > Cab

The IRT has loudspeaker output and a DI output, which would I use? I've heard people using the effects send, but I need the effects send for the Pod. Basically Pod provides the effects, amp provides the tone.

Thanks
Wut?

I feel that you're going about your upgrade in a roundabout manner, and making things really complex for yourself in the short run, and costly in the long term.

Is there a reason you're buying what appears to be a studio amp and running that into another preamp.

What about saving up, selling the pod, the Marahall and Peavey and getting something like the Vypyr Tube 60?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Peavey is for sale, I love the sound of the IRT series and don't want a 100 watt head when I can't push the tubes in that! So the IRT 100 head is out of the question, I can get a power amp for around £80 (which will likely not be needed, it's just as a backup) we have a PA already so I can just run out to that, but it'd be handy to have the option of pushing the power of my cab!

If I sell the Pod, I need to find all the effects I use either as racks or pedals, so there's no point losing that. Essentially I'm swapping out a Peavey VK100 for a Laney IRT15 Studio (+ maybe the power amp). I just need to know if the option is there to extend the power!
I also won't push the 60 watt head version either, worth pointing out I live in shared accommodation so noise is an issue
There's a line out + dummy load on that thing right? Run it straight to the PA.

Also the Vypyr comes with pedals. I'd've imagined that most gigging guitarist with an army of minion techies would want to simplify their rigs.

The problem is you're not going to get much head room. If your drummer is sociopathically violent, you're going to struggle with a 15 watter.

Also if you're going to run it into a Marshall power section, you won't be driving any tubes I'm the Ironheart.

Either way, the Laney is not meeting either of your objectives.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
My objective is to have the effects from the pod and the sound of the Laney. How will running it through a power amp not push any valves? Turn the volume of the head up and the output of the power amp down, basically it'd be like having a normal head, and running the normal cab outputs into the power amp, then the power amp into the cab.

If I replaced the Pod, then I need, rotary cabinet, talk box, synth sounds + much more in the form of pedals, which doesn't simplify a rig at all. Having it all wired up in a rack case however will. Sorry I didn't stress that I use a lot of effects. You can use this as a normal head with a cab, so I'd essentially just be placing the power amp between them.

I've heard of people running 15 heads into power amps into cabs, so I wanted to know if it would work with this.

The only Peavey amps I like are the 6505 and 5150. But I want to be different. I know several people that put Pods, direct into power amps, I just want the sound of a "real" amp rather than emulated
Sigh, I'm giving up. If you use the Marshall power amp, you're bypassing your IRT's power section, so you can't push the Laney's tubes. If you run your speaker's output into the Marshall, you'd experience a spectular OT meltdown.

Have you tried the Peavey Vypyr series? The modeling is pretty amazing for their amps.

Yes it will work, just make sure you're setting it up right. Otherwise the first time you turn the Laney and Marshall on will be the last time.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I would not be bypassing the tubes! I'd be running out like a normal head! The power section would not be bypassed at all, by that reasoning having a 5150 running into a cab is bypassing the tubes. The IRT has an emulated speaker di output which is what I was going to use without the emulation turned on.
The IRT 15 is not going to work in a band situation. Get the 60 watt head and use the MV at home to control the volume. Then when you do gig/practice you can get the volumes you need.

If you are wanting a portable head that can be used for gigging and does metal well, check out the Krank Jr series of amps they make 20 and 50 watt versions and they have FX loops. I have a 20 watt 1980Jr and It would probably do a small gig unmic'd, but you'd be pushing it very hard. They make the Rev jr and Krankinstein Jr also which have even more gain.
I paid $300 for my head used, don't know what they run in the UK
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Are you basing that on it only being 15 watts or not being able to run through a power amp? Because if I'm being honest I could even run it into my mac, out to the interface to a power amp. Literally get thrown out of where I live with a head haha!

Are you saying there's absolutely no way it can be done? My reasoning was if it was running out to a live desk (like you can do with it), it's going through power amps to the PA anyway. So technically it could be done?
Quote by thestormunfolds
Are you basing that on it only being 15 watts or not being able to run through a power amp? Because if I'm being honest I could even run it into my mac, out to the interface to a power amp. Literally get thrown out of where I live with a head haha!

Are you saying there's absolutely no way it can be done? My reasoning was if it was running out to a live desk (like you can do with it), it's going through power amps to the PA anyway. So technically it could be done?

I'm basing it off it being 15 watts

why are you running it into a mac and then through a power amp? Is there something that you need the MAC for in live situations? The IRT 15 has a DI that can go directly to the mixer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I meant to go through the interface if needed for some reason, yeah that DI is what I want to go through a power amp so that I could have it going through my 4x12 cab. If the DI can go to a desk which goes through amps into the speakers then why can't I just take the desk out of the equation?

Online there seems to be mixed reviews, my 100 watt head was deafening at 2. In fact I haven't taken it past that, (this hasn't been used in practice) In practice I have used a Marshall Valvestate VS265 Combo on about volume 5/6. Some people say 15 is loud enough for practice, mic'd for gigs. Which is fine, I always got mic'd anyway at gigs no matter what head I use.
In fact just done a test, dug out a crappy Eastwood 20 watt solid state amp, it has an output labeled "Extension Speaker @ 4 Ohm" it'a ridiculously loud couldn't put it past 1 without fearing for noise complaints! So I should be fine without the power amp?
yes you can run the IRT 15 DI>poweramp>speaker cab. No need for the Mac unless you want to use modeling/FX sims.

Do you have a power amp to use right now?

If not I suggest the Bad Cat Unleashed. It is an attenuator and it also has a built in 100watt power amp that can push a cab no problem. And it really does not color your sound at all which is a great thing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yes you can run the IRT 15 DI>poweramp>speaker cab. No need for the Mac unless you want to use modeling/FX sims.

Do you have a power amp to use right now?

If not I suggest the Bad Cat Unleashed. It is an attenuator and it also has a built in 100watt power amp that can push a cab no problem. And it really does not color your sound at all which is a great thing.

Nice one! And no not yet I was looking at the Marshall 8008, but I'll have a look at that one man cheers Wanted to check so I didn't risk blowing anything
What your asking doesn't make sense, it seems you are going around your ass to get to your elbow.

The way I see it, the only way you are going to get the laney to be loud enough is to mic it. All this other stuff you are talking about is going to break something or sound like crap.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by thestormunfolds
Nice one! And no not yet I was looking at the Marshall 8008, but I'll have a look at that one man cheers Wanted to check so I didn't risk blowing anything

Make sure the IRT 15 can run safely without a speaker cab attached to it. Most amp require they be attached to a cab or a load of some kind
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Make sure the IRT 15 can run safely without a speaker cab attached to it. Most amp require they be attached to a cab or a load of some kind

It has an inbuilt load
Quote by dementiacaptain
What your asking doesn't make sense, it seems you are going around your ass to get to your elbow.

The way I see it, the only way you are going to get the laney to be loud enough is to mic it. All this other stuff you are talking about is going to break something or sound like crap.

It makes a lot of sense, it means I can use it at a decent volume away from a PA, I can use a PA if needed, yeah I can mic it up, but I could then have a seperate monitor feed from the Power amp to power a stage monitor
Alright humor me please, one more time, as concisely as you can, explain what it is you want to do? I feel like I have missed something here
Quote by dementiacaptain
Alright humor me please, one more time, as concisely as you can, explain what it is you want to do? I feel like I have missed something here

Well,

1) rack setup would mean everything is already wired in, tuner, pod, amp, pedals etc all that would be needed to wire would be the wires to the cab

2) I could run a separate monitor of just guitar (as well as a band mix in another monitor) (dunno if you've ever had monitors go on you mid set haha)

3) More portable than a full head.

4) 15 watts means I can push the tubes. (the DI output being after the amp's tube power amp stage means that I can then control the level of this with the power amp).

5) It can run straight to PA instead of being mic'd up.

6) If needed the power amp will give me enough volume to gig without being mic'd up/in rehearsal.

7) USB output means I can record whenever I play, use that to improve my playing

8) Rather than running Pod to the Power amp then cab, the "real" amp here means it will sound more realistic.

Theres a few of my reasons
Quote by thestormunfolds
Guitar > Pod X3 PRO (Effects only, 4 cable method) > Laney Irt Studio > Power amp > Cab

Yes that should work just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes that should work just fine

That's what I thought providing I used the DI output with emulation turned off. There's no risk of damaging it that way is there? The other method would be to connect it from the Loudspeaker output into the Power amp? Which would be best? I think the dummy load means it runs at only 1w but with a power amp that shouldn't matter, with the loudspeaker connected it'll output 15w
Alright, I think I have you now, that makes a little more sense. Seems awfully complicated, but if it works it works.
you do not use the speaker out put for anything other than hooking a speaker to it. ONLY USE THE DI OUT or you will ruin 1 or more pieces of gear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate